*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1422999-Prologue
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Maje
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1422999
Short story about where i start with my halfling friend Gardoa
As I sit among these branches I think back to when I had received my first assignment. He was an old man; he took a loan and didn't want to payback. His time was up, and it was my job to do the dirty work.

I remember the time I spent stalking him and watching his every move. I was careful in making sure he did not see me, I did not want to mess this one up. I watched his routine and followed his every move, what he did from the time he woke up until he slept. I remember the second night clearly; it was a cold, rainy night. He walked out onto the balcony and lit a candle and sat in an old rickety chair. I watched him for half the night smoking his weed. He would stop for a few moments and enjoy the air around himself before going back to his pipe.

My new target shares a lot of similarities; He is married with no kids living at home. He also took a loan out and tried to not pay back. Mistakes were made and now his use has come to an end, therefore the guild has no need of his power among the nobles anymore. He doesn't hide on the roof to smoke his pipe; he is too good for that. He walks out on his balcony because his mistress complains about the smell it leaves. He lights the candle next to him and sits in his oak chair. He takes a deep breath of smoke and enjoys his pipe and has not a care in the world; or so he thinks.

So I watched the night carefully not even following my prey throughout the day. I knew where he was going and what he was doing. I had his routine down pat and he didn't stray from it. I sat and waited for my targets to arrive. I never think about what happens afterwards I only think about my assignment at the time. My plan is simple Just like my target many years before, Ill slide down the rope and go up to the balcony while he smokes. I have been near him almost touching him before. I am a master of shadows and to hear or see me would take one in my craft to accomplish this feat.

I sit upon the roof to the side of the balcony watching the city streets as darkness approaches. I see him walk into the alley way, right on queue old man. The sounds he makes as he walks up the building stairs are not to be mistaken for anyone's but his. He opens and slams his door; he pours his drink into the glass, takes a sip.

He is doing the same routine as was done six years before him; he is too much like his older brother. I watch with my dagger drawn, ready to slid down the rope and pay him his dues from the thief's guild. Just like the time before he walks out onto the balcony and sits in his oak chair. The time is now to move and confront my victim to be.

I slide down the rope to the roof top and then slowly sneak over to the other rope that has been cut so it just drops to within inches of the balcony floor. I slide down it carefully and slowly. Being careful to not make a sound, but it's hard to make a sound when a silence spell has been put on your boots. I learned in time to use the wizard's guilds to my advantage. I smiled and knew it was time to collect my fee.

It is dark as I look into their eyes as I slide my dagger across their neck. They heard me blow the candle they use for light out. They probably shouldn't have turned around but it was going to happen either way. I hold their face inches from mine. I want them to see that it was I who took them from this plane of existent. I let them fall as they get weak making sure to see that my next target was going to be their wives. The wives were just a dart throw; nothing special is to ever be wasted on woman of this world; and killing a woman was like beating a child it was all too simple. I walk out onto the balcony and look out upon the night and the stars that shine above. I see the thief's guild has sent the looters to take anything of valuable from the grounds. I don't touch a thing for I never needed gold; I get paid through my fees.

I give the signal and they come to raid the empty place I left behind. They never come near me for they feared me, and that fear that will keep them alive away from me. I climb my rope to leave to head home. I stop to admire the city streets and the darkness around. As the city watch light the torches in the street the darkness skitters away for a small distance. They have learned to not look for trouble if it doesn't concern the city. I jump from rooftop to rooftop and move silently to the edge to make my decent into my room.

I sit at the window sill carefully listening for any disturbances in the area. I know one day someone will hunt me if there isn't one already out there. It's the life I live from day to day. My name is Gardoa; and I am an assassin.
© Copyright 2008 Maje (maje at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1422999-Prologue