*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1423443-Dreams-of-Blood-Chapter-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Dark · #1423443
~Incomplete~ An old friend appears, only he is no long who he seems.
                                                  Chapter 2
                                              Forever Dreams

December 31, 2005

         I believe I am losing it. Martino is awfully worried about me. After finding out that a girl with the same name as my beloved's in her first life turns out to be a member of a long line of werewolves, I have not been thinking clearly. Maybe the Starsae bloodline had been tainted with were-blood without me knowing. I thought I looked after and protected that bloodline from such poison. How had that slipped past me with out me knowing? Well, so far there is no sign of my beloved's reincarnation in this age of yet, but already sixty-nine years have past and she should be nineteen by now, about ready to turn twenty; since she is reborn every fifty years after her last death. I hope I find her soon before Markina can get her serpent hands on her. But for now, I need to think about taking care of myself. I had barely made it back to my estate before going into a blood-rage. I had lost four of my best servants because of it and some of the maids are still trying to get the blood stains out of the carpets and tiles. I must be more careful not to get out of control like that again or Markina will surly win this little game she has been playing since we met. However, I will not let her win, since cursing me it the darkness, all I could think of, besides saving my beloved's soul, is getting rid of Markina. Though I don't know where she is, I do know she must be close if she had talked to the she-wolf Starsae. But for now, I have a meeting to attend to, so I have to put this thoughts aside and focus on my work.


         Karnell left his study, meeting Martino just outside. "Are you well, Sir?" Martino asked, a frown formed on the old man's face. Karnell knew that Martino was only worried about him. He had treated him like a son since he started working for him. Martino was one of the closest people to Karnell, even if he was only mortal. He felt blessed to have someone like him to watch over him.
         Karnell smiled back at Martino to try to rid himself of the knot that laid in his stomach. "Of course. Why wouldn't I be? I hope the rest of the staff has forgiven me for my behavior yesterday."
         "I have talked with them all. The ones that know what you are, understand. However, the ones that don't are still quite shaken and fear for their own lives, but they stay because they say that they remain loyal to you, even if they, at the same time, fear you."
         "Fear me?" The smile faded from Karnell's face as sadness filled his voice. "I see. I guess a monster can't help but be feared."
         "Master Windwalker!" Martino started, but Karnell did not seem to hear.
         "But a monster doesn't have to be evil, does it?" Karnell asked as a smile again formed on his lips. "If you'll excuse me, I should speak to the staff myself." Karnell left Martino in the middle of the hall as he turned around a corner and down a beautifully carpeted flight of stairs. There was so much on his mind. Just the thought that Markina may be near by was enough to send chills down his spine.
         As he reached the bottom, he heard a knock on the door and one of the maids rushing to answer it. "Hello, is this the house of Karnell Windwalker?" he heard the person at the door ask. He knew that voice, a voice from the past. Not necessarily the distant past, but someone he hasn't seen in some time.
         "Ye..."The maid started, but was silenced by the sound of Karnell's happy voice.
         "Oh, Robert Calway? Is that you, old friend?" Karnell exclaims, rushing to the door. Without a word, the maid left the two men alone.
         They quickly exchanged greetings and Karnell invites Robert to come in. "Is there anything that I can get you, Bobby? Some tea, perhaps?"
         "No, no, that's quite alright, but a glass of V8 sounds a bit right." Robert states, taking off his coat and throwing it on the back of a nearby chair.
         "V8, uh? Since when did you care about your health." Karnell asks half joking.
         "Has nothing to do with my health. Its just that V8 is red." Robert gives Karnell a cold stare.
         "What do you mean by that?" Karnell asks, but of course he already knew. Craving anything 'red'  was the first symptom of becoming a nightwalker, a vampire. While a human turns, they lie in a death-like state for one day, before waking up or being 'reborn' as vampires like to call it. After that, they have no memory at all for the first hour. Usually their creator will let them roam freely, attacking humans at will just to get to the sweet red nectar within. If this is the case with Robert, how long has it been since his rebirth and who did this to him?
         "It reminds me of blood, and that's why I sought you out to talk about, Karnell...blood."  Robert's expression was dark and blank as he said this and it worried Karnell even more.
         "Lets go to the study, we can talk more in peace there."
         Karnell led Robert to the study. As Robert took a seat, Karnell went to the small refrigerator in the room and pulled out two bottles of V8. Though blood is the only way a vampire can get either nutrients and oxygen, it was something about any sort of ‘red' liquid that gave his kind a rush. Handing one bottle to his old friend, he took the seat across from him. He watched as Robert opened the can, guzzling the juice down in a single go, not once stopping to take a breath.
         "Ah, good stuff!" Robert exclaimed, wiping his mouth with his sleeve.
         "Its undignified to..." Karnell started, but was silenced by Robert's glare.
         "Oh don't give me that. I can wash the shirt later. Besides, there's more important matters to discuss than my manners." He squeezed the can in his left hand and threw it into the trash can he noticed on the far side of the room. He smiled to himself when he saw the can make it in perfectly.
         "What kind of matters?" Karnell asked. He did not like his friend's new behavior and was a bit worried about  the true reason he was here. Opening his own can, he took a small sip and placed it on the table next to him.
         Robert sat forward, his face suddenly expressionless. "She's here, and the banshee queen  is on the hunt."
         Karnell did not need to ask who either ‘she' or the ‘banshee queen' were, he knew. He had told Robert all about his past and about Markina as well as his beloved Joleen. Though it did not answer the question of who converted Robert.
         
         
© Copyright 2008 Nephiral (nephiral at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1423443-Dreams-of-Blood-Chapter-2