*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1424033-Aphrodite-orders-Psyches-Death
by Marisa
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1424033
Aphrodite orders the death of Psyche to keep her away from her son Eros.
Aphrodite loomed over the kneeling figure of Eros and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Rise, my son. Speak to me."

Eros rose upward slowly, pressing his wings flat against his back. Aphrodite cupped his chin in the palm of her hand and tilted his head back forcing him to meet her gaze.

"Have you completed the task I bestowed upon you?"

"Yes, mother."

"The mortal girl, the one more beautiful then I, has been tied to the wrong man? A beast who will cause her beauty to wither through cruel words and the strike of his fists?"

"Yes, mother."

A brief silence fell between them. Aphrodite's eyes narrowed to a slash.
"You speak the truth?"

Eros's heart skipped a beat. He closed his fingers around his wrist. "Tell a lie? To you?" His chin went up a notch. "No such word shall ever leave my lips."

Aphrodite met his stare straight back. "Good." She trailed a finger down his cheek. "Then you will have no problem with what I am about to ask of you."

"What do you wish of me?"

"I have come to the decision that condemning Psyche to live out the rest of her life tied to a man who is not her soul mate is no longer acceptable. Stronger actions must be taken. It is my decree that she is to be killed as soon as possible. No mortal who dares to rival my beauty shall be allowed to live. The longer her heart beats the more chance there is that word will begin to spread about her exquisite looks and I cannot-" she pulled herself up to her full height.

"-Will not allow that to happen. I am the Goddess of Love and Beauty. I refuse to be outshone by an insignificant mortal." She turned her back on Eros and gestured for him to leave. "Go. Do not return without her head on a stick." She never saw the look of anguish cross Eros's face as he left the room.
© Copyright 2008 Marisa (atlantisreborn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1424033-Aphrodite-orders-Psyches-Death