*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1424114-The-Third-Richest-Man-c4
Rated: · Other · Other · #1424114
Continuation of the Third Richest Man....
I caught up with Kirby walking up and down the floor outside of the hospital room.
"Doctor, how is he really?"
"Grady, he is a hell of a lot sicker than he looks. I am amazed that he has made it this far, truth be told. I don't think that he will make it through the week. I definitely believe that he has been holding on until both of you could be here at the same time. "
Marcy grabbed my shoulder.
"Excuse us for a moment, Doctor Kirby", she said as she drug me down the hall out of ear shot. "Grady, what are we going to do??"
"What he wants us to do I guess. Marc. I sure don't want to be the one to tell him that we can't do what he wants us to do and I don't think that you want that either. "
"I also believe that a dying man should be entitled to his last wish. "It appears that he would like for us to give it a good college run at handling his affairs."
Grady, do you really think what he said is true? $49 billion dollars?. 350 companies?
I have never known my father to lie to me about anything. If he says $49 Billion, its probably closer to $60 billion."
She thought for a moment.
"Any idea what qualifications we have to run 35o companies?"
"Absolutely none as near as I can figure, Marcy. I am doing good to know what I had for lunch. Lets hope that these resources are as good as promised. Lets go back on up to see him."
When we got back to the room, he was snoring softly and I kissed him on the forehead, as did Marcy. It was the last time, we saw my father alive.

We went back to the house and were awakened by the phone at 6:00 the next morning. It was a reporter for the New York Times who wanted to know if I had a quote about my father passing away during the night.
I made a careful note of his name and then told him to go piss up a rope and hung up.
I snuck into Marcy's room and shook her awake.
"Marc, he's gone."
We cried and held each other. I guess you are never ready for things like this no matter how hard you try. It was a hard thing to lose anyone. I guess I never realized how much I depended on him being there if I needed him. Now he was gone and I felt like a hollow shell.
I spoke to Dr. Kirby who assured me that Dad had gone to sleep with a smile on his face and never woken up. It cheered me some to know that now mom and Marcy's parents would have a fourth for bridge.
I called a local funeral home and made special arrangements to have a private ceremony for Dad and that he buried next to mom The home said that they were already getting inquiries from out of town dignitaries as well as foreign powers that Dad had done business with. I told them that under no circumstances would anyone outside of the immediate family be allowed in and all questions should go to Marcy or myself. I requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be sent in Dad's name to the Vince Lombardi Cancer Fund and to the Cook Children's hospital.
The funeral was an affair with a couple of hundred people in the chapel and a couple of hundred thousand outside (or at least that's what it seemed.) The TV truck antennae made a small forest outside with the sun almost blocked out. I made all the world's papers as "The Heir Apparent??" with a stock photo that had been taken outside of a bank in Denver for one of my book signings. Not my best pose but enough that I was recognized around town. People that I had never seen before in my life suddenly became my best friend.

© Copyright 2008 delta44 (delta44 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1424114-The-Third-Richest-Man-c4