*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1424840-Pantheon
Rated: ASR · Outline · Mythology · #1424840
An Outline Detailing Different Deities... Work In Progress
This is an outline for members of campfire "Mystified" to help those who need more information about different gods and goddess of long ago. If there's any other information someone needs or is missing from the list just let me know and I'll find it for you.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1424834 by Not Available.


The Greek/Roman Pantheon

[Note: Name in () is Roman counterpart. You can use either or both.]

*Zeus (Jupiter)- King of the Gods and ruler of Mount Olympus; god of the sky, thunder,and justice. Symbolized with a thunderbolt. Usually described as a charming personality which led to his womanizing and arrogance.

*Hera (Juno)- Queen of the Gods and of the heavens; goddess of women, marriage, and motherhood. Wife to Zeus. Anger issues especially towards the women Zeus has affairs with. Is very vengeful and powerful as queen.

*Poseidon (Neptune)- Lord of the Sea; god of the seas, horses, and earthquakes. Often symbolized with a triton. He is described as being loud and boisterious but rights most wrongs done in his name.

*Demeter (Ceres) - Goddess of fertility, agriculture, nature, and the seasons. Usually depicted on a chariot, she is the infamous mother of Persephone. Her personality is often described as a very conservative mother in her dealings with people.

*Hestia (Vesta) - Virgin Goddess of the hearth and home. She looked out for public health while quietly seeing to the needs of others. She was depicted as modest in appearance and seeked no adventures.

*Hades (Pluto/Orcus) - Lord of the Dead; god of the Underworld and wealth. Known as the "Unseen One" he spent most of his time in his realm instead of venturing out. Husband to Persephone. Described as a fiersome, grim figure who was often moody.

*Aphrodite (Venus) - Goddess of love, beauty, desire, and fertility. Wife to Hephaestus and mother to Eros (Cupid). She had beauty beyond measure and was vain to boot.

*Apollo - The Sun God; god of light, healing, music, poetry, prophecy, archery. He is a very bright figure both figurally and literally. His symbols is a bow and arrow. He is twins with Artemis. Although he has very attractive he has a horrible time with women.

*Ares (Mars) - God of war, frenzy, and bloodshed. Seen with spear and shield, he craves battle like others crave chocolate. He often broke rules to get his own way.

*Artemis (Diana) - Goddess of the hunt, of maidens, and the moon. Twin with Apollo. Friend to most animals (espeically dogs) she always wears full hunting appearal. She doesn't think much of men.

*Athena (Minerva)- Goddess of wisdom, crafts, and strategic battle. Portrayed usually in full armor, Athena was known to be analytical and emotionless when it came to matters. She could be harmful when she acted on her conceit.

*Hephaestus (Vulcan)- Blacksmith to the Gods; god of fire and the forges. Husband to Aphrodite. Was very quiet and unassuming next to his wife's fiery personality. Anything he made was indestrucable and could kill mortals with a mere touch.

*Hermes (Mercury) - Messenger of the Gods; god of commerce, speed, thieves, and trade. He was clever and determined using even thief to get his jobs done. He is depicted sometimes with small wings or winged sandals.

*Morpheus - God of Dreams. Has the ability to change into any human form at will. Depicted as a laid back type of guy although he liked to mess with people's heads on occasion.

*Persephone (Proserpina) - Goddess of the spring and death. Wife of Hades. Young and vibrant, she if often seen with a sheaf of grain or pomergrante. Bit of a ditz.


The Japanese Pantheon

*Amaterasu- Goddess of the Sun. She was known for her illuminating personality and her compassion. Once shut herself in a cave when her brother destroyed her fields and killed her maidens which left the world in darkness. When she returned she always carried a bow and arrow around just in case. Sister of Susano'o and Tsukuyomi.

*Susano'o- God of winds, storms, and ocean. Has a bit of a rivalry with his sister Amaterasu which led him to drink and destroy her possessions. After banishment from the heavens he traveled for a while, slayed a dragon and married the last daughter of a noble family. This turned him around and he reconciled with his sister.

*Tsukuyomi- God of the Moon. Noble and pure, he is the first born. Lived with his sister Amaterasu in the heavens until her killed the Goddess of Food. They no longer talk, living in seperate parts of the skies.

*Izanami- Goddess of Creation and Death. Wife of Izanagi.

*Izanagi- God of Sky and Earth. Husband of Izanami.

.:Seven Gods of Fortune:.

*Ebisu- God of fishers or merchants, often depicted carrying a sea bream. Deformed at birth he walks with a limb and is slightly deaf but is very happy person.

*Daikokuten (Daikoku)- God of wealth, commerce and trade. Ebisu and Daikoku are often paired and represented with carvings or masks. Protrayed with a black flat hat, wide smile, and robes.

*Bishamonten- God of warriors and law. Described often in armor with a spear and a pagoda, he is the punisher of evil-doers.

*Jurōjin- God of wisdom. Old man with white beard and staff in hand. Has scrolls that holds the lifespans of all living things.

*Fukurokuju- God of happiness, wealth and longevity. He is described as a bald man with long whiskers and high forehead. He is a hermit who can bring back the dead.

*Hotei- the fat and happy God of abundance and good health. With a large potbelly and brimming grin, he is often seen with a sack of rice. Good luck comes to those who rub his belly.

*Benzaiten (Benten-sama)- Goddess of knowledge, art and beauty, especially Music. Beautiful and elegant she is also the slayer of dragons.


The Celtic Pantheon

*Morrigan- Celtic Goddess of War, Death, Ravens, Fertility, the Dark Goddess, and Fate. She appears as the maiden, mother and hag. Prophecizes about death in battle which leads to love problems with men.

*Dagda- God of Earth, Magic, and Treaties. Has rule over life and death. Carries with him a large club and magical harp that summons the seasons. Son of Danu and father of Brigid.

*Brigid- Goddess of Spring and Fire. Three-fold goddess - madien, mother, and hag. Attibuted with the healing and fighting powers. Probably the nicest and gentlest of all the Celtic panethon. Daughter of Dagda, wife of Bres.

*Danu (Don)- Mother of all the gods. The ultimate mother which pretty much explains it all.

*Bres- God of Fertility and Agriculture- Was tryannical as ruler by raising taxes and enslaving the people. Was later overthrown and repented.

*Epona- Horse Goddess- Usually depicted with horses (wow, shocker). Associated with fertility and Rhiannon. Known well by all.

*Cernunnos- God of Wealth, Animals, and the Underworld. Pictured with the antlers of a stag. Known for reincarnation for he is born during the winter solstice, marries at Beltane, and dies during the summer solstice each year. Carries with him a bag of gold.

*Belenus- God of Light. Looked after sheep and cattle. Husband to Belisama.

*Belisama- Goddess of Light and Fire. Shared the feasting day of Beltane with her husband. Wife to Belenus.

*Nuada- God of Healing, Weapons, and Magic. Has in his possession an invincible sword and a silver hand to replace the one chopped off in battle. Takes over as king when Bres fails to be a good leader.

*Ogma- God of Eloquance and Writing. Rumored to the creator of the Ogham alphabet, text used by the ancient Irish.

The Egyptian Pantheon

*Isis- Goddess of Nature and Magic. Because known for resurrecting her husand Osiris after he was cut into fourteen pieces by his brother Set. She is symbolized with the ankh and has many titles to her name. Wife to Osiris, adopted mother to Anubis, and mother to Horus.

*Osiris- God of Life and Death. Ruler of the Underworld, he wears the white crown of lower Egypt with dark feathers on either side. He was believed to be the first person to die and was resurrected by Isis. Pretty nice guy for what went on to overthrow him. Husband to Isis, father to Horus and Anubis.

*Horus- God of the Sky. Symbolized with the falcon. Has some claims to the sun, moon, and stars. Goes by many different names depending on the time of day. Evenged his father after his death. Sometimes Husband (don't ask) to Hathor.

*Anubis- The afterlife God. Usually depicted with a jackal face and black skin to symbolize death. When a person died and was taken to the Underworld, he was the guy who weighed the heart in judgement. They called him "The Embalmer".

*Nephthys- She didn't have a special role as a Goddess but was associated with the death experience and magic. She is depicted as a protective person but has a bit of an ominous nature. Sister to Isis, wife to Set, birth mother of Anumbis.

*Set- God of Chaos and Desert.
© Copyright 2008 LdyPhoenix (ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1424840-Pantheon