*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425719-Romance-Snapshots
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1425719
Coping with the end of romance
On our first date, during a walk in the park, he told me this very funny story. It was about this "Award for The Most Useless Academic Research" that somebody had won. Apparently, a university professor, who was sitting in his study room doing something very academic, suddenly looked out of the window and saw, on his balcony, a male duck making love to the dead body of another male duck. This event prompted the professor to conduct a research on "Homosexual, Necrophilic Ducks". It was with laughter that he got my attention.

During our first picnic together, in the same park, we were sitting around a lake full of ducks. While caressing my hair and after telling me how much he liked the smell of it, he told me how he had read that ducks stayed together throughout their entire lives. It was with romance that he conquered my heart.

By the time he had fallen out of love with me but would still be decent enough to hold me in his arms so I could cry into them about my sadness of losing him, he told me this new theory he had. He said that probably ducks were promiscuous as hell, but researchers failed to notice this because they could not tell them apart and therefore kept confusing them and mistaking them for faithful couples even though they were never twice with the same partner. That story did not make me laugh at all. That story was not romantic.
That was when I realized that the loss was not that big after all. Because the person who I thought I had lost, the one who got my attention with laughter and conquered my heart with romance, only existed in my heart. And that one I would never lose.
© Copyright 2008 Cecilia (cecilia27 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1425719-Romance-Snapshots