*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1426077-Sisters-Chapter-Four-Six
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1426077
Continuing saga of twin sister with special gifts
Chapter Four


Jamina hitched her traveling bag into a more comfortable position on her shoulder, and looked over to her sister.  "Ready for adventure?  This could be fun you know."

Maman was more tired after her last encounter with Simon, than she had let on.  She wanted to do nothing more than rest for several hours, but felt that it was prudent to put some distance between themselves and the village. She hitched up her traveling bag as well, and adjusted her cloak. "To adventure.  Let's be off."

They walked into the woods, and down to the stream where "their" oak tree stood. "This seems like a fitting place to begin an epic journey." Jamina sighed as she looked up at the old tree. "Good-bye friend tree, we shall miss your beauty and majesty."

Maman rolled her eyes in her head.  "Oh, brother. Such dramatics."  The girls giggled and started on their way. 

The longer they followed the stream south the wider it became until it was several feet across.  The forest became wilder as well.  The brush that grew along the streams edge thickened until it was almost impossible to see the stream in certain spots.  The trees were enormous.  Some were so large that they dwarfed "their" oak tree at home. And then there were the animals.  Mostly small rodents, and the occasional deer.  The animals showed no fear of the girls as they tromped past.  They paused in whatever it was they were about and looked at the girls curiously as they walked past.  It was obvious that no-one had past this way in a very long time, if ever.  The feeling was surreal as they trudged on. 

The mosquitoes and flying gnats became an issue, early on.  It was Justyna who remembered the salve that repelled the insects.  The girls were infinitely grateful for that, because their great adventure would have quickly become a nightmare.  After they had been traveling awhile, they were able to see the sky through the canopy of branches, it appeared to be directly overhead.

"Jamina, I can not go on any farther.  I need to rest."  They finally found a comfortable spot beneath a massive Elm tree.  "I did not want to say anything earlier, but I had difficulty healing Simon.  It was as if he fought me, even though he was not awake.  It took more out of me than I wanted to admit."

Jamina became angry, then. "Why didn't you say something?  We could have rested long ago.  If you become ill, I don't know that I can heal you.  I know that Gra'Ilia thought that I had the magic, but I have never been able to do as you do."

"I am sorry.  It is just that I felt that we needed to leave then.  The feeling was so strong, and I did not want worry you overmuch."  Maman leaned back against the tree in total exhaustion.

"Listen little mother, you will not keep things from me.  You do not have to protect me.  We are out here alone now.  We each have to depend upon the other.  You do not have to go it alone."  She took her sister's hands into her own. "Promise me that this is the last time."

Maman looked into her sister's earnest face.  "I promise, no secrets."

Jamana smiled then. "Well let's eat first.  I am starving.  Let's see what Justyna saw fit to make us pack."

The girls dug into their traveling bags, and found packages of nuts, dried berries, several small rounds of cheese, smoked ham, fresh bread, as well as oats, barley, and dried beans. 

"I think that Justyna thought of everything."  Maman had already torn off a fair sized piece of bread, and had bitten into it as she searched for the small skinning knife so that she could cut into the ham.

"Wow sister, you really were hungry.  We'll eat this for now, but I want to take inventory of our store of food.  We'll have to supplement it with hunting and foraging or it will not last long." Jamina then cut herself a piece of ham and ate that with the bread as well.  They had dried berries for dessert, and fresh water from the stream.

"That was good." Maman sat back against the tree again, rubbing her slightly distended belly. "I think I overdid it." She groaned.

Jamina laughed. "You think?  I should say so.  But then again you earned it. I cannot imagine how difficult it must have been with Simon."

"It was not as hard as you might think.  It was actually very easy to overpower him, when we fought him.  It was almost as if I knew what to do without thinking..do you know what I am trying to say?"

"I think I do.  Maybe your power is as much a part of you as breathing and sleeping.  If Gra'Ilia was right, and I suspect that she was, you have been using your powers for our survival since our birth."

Jamina had set everything out beneath the tree.  She was carefully taking a mental inventory and then repacking it based upon when it might be used.  She glanced up when Maman made as if to get up and help. "No sister rest, get some sleep.  I will wake you in an hour or so, and we can continue on."

"Many thanks, Jamina." Maman said smiling, "I really do not feel up to much of anything right now."  She wrapped herself in her cloak, and was asleep in moments.  While she slept she had the strangest dream.  It was as if the trees spoke to her with pictures instead of words.  She saw "their" oak, only its branches were reaching down to caress her.  She saw a scene from when they were very young.  It showed her the very first time that they had come to the small clearing and found "their" oak.  The girls, little more than babies, waddled over to the tree and gave it a hug and kisses as their mother talked to them about respecting nature, and this great tree, because it was very old.  Gra'Ilia took the girls upon her lap as they sat down to pray.  The tree then showed her the picture of Gra'Ilia as they last saw her, nothing more than a pile of ashes, surrounded by flowers.  The scene changed and she saw herself and Justyna holding hands as they prayed for their mother's safety the day before.  She saw the men of the village as they searched for them, carrying pitchforks and clubs.  It was clear that they meant to hurt them. Then she saw a confusing succession of pictures where it seemed as if the forest was trying to protect them.  Branches were dropped, and the trees swayed together to keep them hidden from their pursuers.  The men walked right past them as they sat and prayed that day.  Even today the forest seemed to be protecting them from some of the larger predators, like wolves and what appeared to be a cougar.  They were all gently sent in different directions away from them. She felt herself being shaken.  No not yet.  It's so peaceful here.  I want to stay.  Good bye friend oak...good-bye.....

Jamina gently shook her sister. "Sister, time to wake up."  Maman opened her eyes to see her sisters bemused face hovering above her.  "You looked so comfortable, that I did not want to wake you, but we have to get going, if we are going to put any distance between ourselves and the village."

Maman stood up and placed her hands on the Elm that she had slept under.  She reached out with her senses, and was able to see the pictures again. "So it was not a dream", she thought aloud. 

"What did you say?" Jamina paused as she was picking up her traveling bag. "Sister come here for a moment.  Place your hands on this tree.  I believe that it is trying to speak to us." Jamina placed her hands on the tree as her sister had.  At first she felt nothing.  She forced herself to relax.  She closed her eyes and saw fleeting pictures of herself and her family.  Different scenes of themselves and their mother on various occasions when they spent time in the forests near their home.  She removed her hands and looked up at the tree in wonder.  "Who knew?  Do you think that the trees speak to everyone?"

"I'm sure they do, but I doubt most people take the time to listen." Maman turned back to the elm, and placed her hands upon it once again, as she tried to speak to it.  She concentrated on sending thoughts of appreciation and thanks for all that the trees had obviously done to protect them. 

Maman looked over to where her sister stood. "I am ready, now."  She shouldered her bag, and off they went.  Maman told her of all that she saw while she slept. "The trees have been protecting us all of this time."

"We are blessed, indeed." Jamina turned in a circle and spoke aloud. "Many thanks friendly forest."

They started off again.  The day was warm, but they kept cool in the constant shade of the forest.  They had remembered to re-apply the salve to keep the insects from doing too much damage.  It was a magical time, communing with nature.  All around they saw signs of life, from the smallest buzzing gnat to the many different types of birds, and small rodents.  It was wonderful.  There was so much life here.  They felt very small in such a large world, but proud to be a part of it all.

"Sister, have you given any thought about what we are going to do?  I mean, I know that we travel to Allanstown, but then what will we do once we arrive?  There are no guarantees that we will see our own kind in Allanstown, and even if we do, we do not know if they will be kind and help."

Maman considered her sister's words.  "I do not know.  I am afraid I have been pre-occupied with thoughts of myself, and my magic.  What is happening to me now is so new.  I have this new found strength since Gra'Ilia's passing, and it is both frightening and exiting.  We have so much to consider, now."

Jamina smiled over at Maman. "Well dear sister, we have nothing but time as we travel south."



























Chapter Five


Simon could not wait for everyone to leave so that he could get up.  The ground was hard and unyielding, and there was sharp stone biting into his side.  At some point while he was passed out, a folded blanket had been placed beneath his head.

Finally, the witches went off into the forests behind the cottage.  After a few more minutes, he heard his wife leave.  He forced himself to lie still just in case anyone was watching.  After a while he got up, and went into the cottage.  He found a large butchering knife.  His insides still pained him, but that only fueled his anger more.  The bitch tricked him.  She knew he had no intension of honoring that ridiculous oath.  If he were quick and quiet, he would surprise them both.  He would take the little witch out first.  That should break her spell on him.  Then he would take his time with the other one.  That one would suffer.  His head still hurt in several spots where she had hit him with the rocks.  Then, when he was done with them, he would take care of the wife.  "Pregnant my left tit.  If she is, it wouldn' be mine. Filthy whore.  Couldn' wait to be rid o' me."  He ran off into the woods after the girls, as quietly as he could, all the time caressing the knife.

Almost immediately he felt as sense of foreboding.  The further into the forest he went the stronger it became.  The trees seemed to be leering at him, and it was deathly quiet.  "Buck up Simon, my boy, it's only yur imagination."  He told himself as he pressed on. He began to feel lost though he'd only traveled several hundred feet.  He turned back and saw the cottage behind him.  It seemed to welcome him. "I must be losin' it." He muttered aloud. His voiced seemed overly loud in quite forest.  He turned back and continued on to where the stream began.  He had heard his wife tell the girls how to get to Allanstown, and knew which way the girls would be traveling.  He was not far behind.  He quickened his pace in anticipation.  Tree branches blocked his way, and roots tripped him.  He fought his way through, becoming angrier yet as time passed.  In time he heard the girl's voices just ahead of him.  Again he tried to quicken his pace.  But it was becoming increasing difficult to move through the trees.  His clothes became entangled in the branches as he moved past.  He found himself tripping upon roots that he could have sworn were not in his way just moments before.  Their voices began to fade in the distance.  He tried harder still.  It was then that he heard a loud creaking sound above him.  He looked up in time to see a large branch falling towards him.  He jumped back, just in time.  He stopped for a moment to consider his options. The tree had just tried to kill him!  The sense of malevolence was strong here.  "Hate...bad man...evil..."  The words came to him in pictures.  He saw his own face, only is couldn't be him.  The face was hideous; it leered at him, while saliva dripped from fangs.  It had to be some trick the witches were playing on him.  The pictures flashed through his mind at a dizzying speed, each more hideous than the last.  He forgot his anger and began to feel frightened. "That's not me!!" He screamed and he started running back towards the cottage.  He made it back in record time.  He felt better once he'd made it out of the forest, but discovered that he had dropped the knife.  He considered trying again, but thought better of it.  "There's more'n one way to skin a cat."  He began plotting a way to catch the girls once they came out of the forest.

He turned and began the long walk into the village.  He was bruised and tired, and it was slow going.  As he walked into town he noticed furtive glances his way, when folks  thought he wasn't looking.  "What the 'ell was wrong with everybody?"  He thought about going straight to his house, but decided he needed a good stiff drink.  As he made his way towards the inn he thought he caught a look of smug satisfaction from Sara, the butcher's wife.  But she turned away before he had a good look.  "Now there's a woman what needs to be put in 'er place." He mumbled under his breath.  Sara didn't like him one bit, and wasn't shy about letting all the sundry know why.  She thought he beat his wife too much.  She thought he shoulda been strung up and whipped when his first sorry excuse for a wife passed on.  He knew if Sara had been in town when he was marryin' Justyna, she might have gotten hold of her first and he never would have got 'imself married.  She turned the women against him, and some of the men too.  Not one of  'em would let him take their daughters when he was first looking to marry again.  He continued on to the inn.

Sara had turned her head quickly and put her hands over her mouth to stifle the laughter.  Simon looked like he had been run over by a bull.  He was black and blue all over with several large goose egg sized lumps on his forehead.  "Serves the old goat right." She didn't know who gave him his just desserts, but she was glad he'd gotten them.  "It's about time."  She'd seen Justyna come into town earlier, and could not help commenting on how lovely she looked.  She just smiled all shy like, but kept her thoughts to herself.  The only thing she'd said was that she would be staying in the healer's house now for the sake of her unborn child's safety. "Pregnant!" This was news. Sara was an incurable gossip.  Not only did Simon get his, but Justyna was with child, and leaving him.  "Oh what a day."  She was fairly itching to tell someone.  First things first, she needed to warn Justyna that Simon was back.

Justyna hurried down the road carrying all that she owned tied into a bundle on her back.  Alaina walked beside her carrying her own bundle.  She was like a frightened rabbit.  Her eyes darted this way and that at every sound she heard.  She was afraid that Simon would jump out of the bushes and drag them back to his house.  Alaina accepted his treatment of her because that was all she knew.  She went from her father's house, where she and her sisters were treated no better than serfs, to an abusive husband.  Her husband had beaten her regularly, when she was married to him, but a drunken fall from his horse late one evening had stopped that.  He'd broken his back in the fall, and didn't live much longer after that.  Alaina had no skills with which to take care of herself and her daughter.  It seemed as if they would be left to starve, were it not for Simon's interest in her thirteen year old daughter.  He asked for her hand in marriage, and she gave her permission.  She used their empty cottage as dowry, and Simon was able to turn over a tidy profit.  If she had thought her life was hard before, it became a living hell.  Trying to gauge Simon's moods, and protect her daughter's children from his rage was her entire day.  Were it not for Justyna she would have been put out long ago.  Life was not kind for a woman with no family and no wealth.  As bad as life was with her son-in-law, it would have been much worse to resort to begging to survive.  Now Justyna claimed that Simon agreed to let them go?!?  It was like a dream come true to finally be able to live without worrying about being beaten for this or that.  And now Justyna claimed to be carrying his child.  Simon would not give up his child so easily.  Not because he cared for the child, but because it belonged to him, and no-one took what was his. Alaina glanced back towards town, but saw no-one following.  She tried to look into the bushes and trees along the path that they took to the healer's cottage, when she thought Justyna was not looking.  Still she saw nothing.  Sure Sara claimed he was in town now, but could he not have doubled back?  He may even be waiting for them at the cottage.  Maybe she should have stayed in town. 

She reached over and grabbed Justyna's sleeve. "Perhaps we should just go back?  What if he comes?  He will beat us and it will be worse than ever."  She began to cry.

Justyna hugged her close. "He will not touch us again.  By his own world.  He made an oath, which cannot be broken."  Alaina continued to cry. "I was there. He tried to break his oath and it nearly killed him.  He will do us no harm.  I promise this to you." 

She took Alaina's face into her hands. "We have a chance to be safe and happy.  Think about it.  It will just be the two of us.  The healer's land is good and fertile.  We will be fine.  And once Father Timothy speaks on our behalf, the town will support us as well."

She looked so sure, so sincere.  "A chance for happiness." Alaina thought. "I don't know what that is.  It is something that dreams are made of."  Alaina's smile as she finally began to believe would have lightened the night sky, it was so bright.  Justyna grabbed her hand and together they made their way to their new home.




















Chapter Six


Father Timothy road into Appleton with Jared, Simon's son and his novice.  Timothy wasn't sure that Jared had the calling, but he did have the will.  Growing up with a father such as Simon, the boy had seen much suffering, and wanted nothing more than to ease the pain and suffering of those in like situations.  As they came down the main road, they noticed that something was not quite right.  Several of the women came out to greet them as always, but there was something in the air, he was sure of it.  "Oh well," he thought, it'll come out soon enough.  He was an old man, and in all of the years he had been about he had learned that news would come when it will.  He was a patient man.  All would come out in due time.

They stopped the cart in from of the inn.  The stable lads came to take care of old Bess as the women helped him down.  They grabbed his hands and pulled him into the main room.  Jared followed discreetly behind.  Once inside they found that most of the town's folk were inside.  The healer and her daughters were notably missing. 

It was clear that lines were drawn, as many of the men sat upon one side of the inn surrounding Simon.  Simon appeared to be recovering from some type of beating as his face and arms still bore the remnants of bruises which were healing, but had changed to a yellowish purple color.  That was surprising in itself, because in all the years he had been ministering to the people of Appleton, he had never seen Simon come out the worse in a fight.  Simon was an angry man to be sure.  He didn't care who he would take his anger out on.  Most often it was his wife and children, but he wasn't above a good tussle with the men as well.  It looks like he may have finally lost one.  Interesting.  Father Timothy kept his features carefully blank. 

The other side consisted of women, and children, and a few men as well.  Most of them Surrounded Justyna, who sat serenely in their midst, with her hands folded in her lap as she looked at him expectantly.  Over the years he had grown quite close to her, and her family.  She had constantly come to him for guidance in dealing with her husband.  He had managed to convince her that though faith and prayer, she would be able to withstand her husbands temper, and find eternal happiness in the next life.  She was his most devoted follower of the word of the Three Gods, but he found his own faith questioned.  He was finding it increasingly hard to counsel Justyna in her behavior, when her husband refused to listen to the Three Gods words.  That women had no more freedom, than what their husbands allowed, was commonly accepted, in their religion. But when the privilege was so obviously abused, it gave him gave pause to question the practice altogether, and the wisdom of the advice he offered.

When they saw him they all began speaking at once.  He heard snatches of talk of witches and magic.  He couldn't follow the course of their argument. "Who were they talking about? And where were the healers?"

He raised his hands for silence.  After a moment it quieted down.  The argument seemed to be centered around Justyna, and the healers.  "Justyna, come forward."  As she came towards him, he barely recognized her.  She looked fit and well.  One of the men from the other side of the room shouted. "Witch friend! They put a spell on poor old Simon 'ere.  Took away his manhood, it did, and now she walks around as free as she pleases."  Justyna paused as she walked forward, and glanced their way momentarily.  She was clearly frightened. 

"Serves  'im right if they did!'  This was from Sara.  He husband tried to shush her, but there was no stopping her now.  "No more than he deserved.  The old bully. You men had no right to run the healers out of town, and kill the old one!" 

"We didn't kill the old hag!  We barely touched 'er.  She died on 'er own."  This came from Simon, while the others around him nodded and shook their fists in agreement.

"Silence!"  Father Timothy raised his hands again, and there was immediate quiet.  Again he beckoned Justyna, but she seemed to be paralyzed in fear.  It was Jared who came forward, and gently took her hands in his.  "Come mother, you have nothing to fear from us."  He guided her over to where Father Timothy stood, and placed his arm across her shoulders protectively.

"Simon, I wish to speak with you as well." He gestured for Simon to come forward as well, but kept him well away from Justyna.

Father Timothy looked out at everyone assembled.  "Can anyone tell me how this started?" 

Lucas town spokesman, stood up, and puffed his chest out importantly.  No-one loved to speak as much as Lucas.  He took his unofficial appointment as spokesman very serious. "Yes, good Father. I can tell you how it all started. Well it was about eight days ago..."  He paused then to confirm the figure by using his fingers to count upon, and nodded. Yep, eight days ago, my boy Nigel, and his friends come running into town with blood running from their mouths and noses.  Said they was mindin' their own business when they was set upon by those witches, what pretends to be healers.  They used their spells to take the breath from their bodies and knock 'em about."  He looked out at the crowd of his supporters for confidence.  "Us folk never did trust 'em too much.  Can't trust nobody what looks like them.  Skins too dark. And they got crazy eyes.  They just didn't fit in right.  So's a few of us men folk just went to talk to 'em.  Just to get their side of it."  It was clear that even he didn't believe the last statement as he looked down at the ground.

Father Timothy interrupted. "Let me understand what I have heard so far.  On the basis of hearsay from a few boys, whom I have had to speak to on several occasions, for bullying the other children, you men took it upon yourselves to attack the towns healer, and her children."  He looked out at the group surrounding Simon, since they were obviously the ones involved. "Is this correct?"

Lucas was more than a bit offended to have his version of the story questioned, but wasn't foolish enough to lose his temper. "Weren't no hearsay, was the Gods honest truth.  The boys swore it was so. Good Father."  He remembered to add respectfully.

"Boys come forward please."  Father Timothy beckoned for Nigel, Ian, and Marcus. 

They stood before him nervously, shuffling their feet, and unable to find something to do with their hands.  The Father just looked at them for several moments.  Marcus began to break out in a sweat.  Still he said nothing.  Someone in the room cleared their throat. Another person coughed.  He finally spoke. "Is all that Lucas claimed true?"

Nigel and Ian were quick to nod there assent, but Marcus showed some hesitation. 

"Do you have something to add, Marcus?"  Of the three boys standing before him, Marcus was easiest to break.  The boy was simple, and wanted desperately to please.  It was a pity that he made such a poor choice in friends.  Father Timothy hoped that he would be able to persuade him to follow the God's word soon.  He could only envision a poor future for the boy if he didn't change his ways.

"No Father."  He shook his head.

"Then things happened just as Lucas described? Again he gave the boys his sternest look.  All three looked down, but Marcus spoke up. "Mostly."

"Go ahead boy, speak the truth, and the Gods may forgive this travesty."  He softened his features a bit to encourage Marcus to speak.

"Well we come up on Jamina in the woods by 'er house, and we wuz just havin' a little fun with her, when she ups and starts fightin' with all three of us." He paused for breath, and tried to gauge Father Timothy's expression. He continued to wait expectantly, so Marcus rushed on. "So then her sister comes in, and her skin fair glowed orange and we dropped to the ground clutchin' our stomachs.  She'd a killed us if 'er sister didn' stop her."  He stopped because he was obviously done with his story.

"See, it were witchcraft."  This came from Simon. "We had to protect our families." This from Lucas.  There were mummers of agreement from most of the folk assembled.

Father Timothy addressed Simon.  "I take it you were among the group who left to confront the healer and her girls?"

Simon nodded, and corrected him.  "We went to confront a group o' witches.  Who knows what spells they been workin' all these years."

Father Timothy then looked over at the other group. "And what of you, how do you feel about what has happened?"

Sara opened her mouth to speak, but her husband, Jon, gently squeezed her shoulder, and came forward. "I don't know if they was witches or not.  All I know is that if it weren't for them I'd a lost my Sara and baby Walter, few years back.  They saved my family.  Don't sound like bad folk to me." 

Joan, a sturdy woman of middling years stepped forward.  She lived in one of the out lying cottages to the north of town.  She had a large family, with nine of her children surviving past infancy.  Her husband had passed away several years back, but most folks thought she was doing well enough since she had several older children to help with the running of their small farm.  "I'd like to speak for the healers.  They been comin' over since my husband passed on.  They were always bringin' eggs, and chickens, and food to help us get by.  The old one Ilia, would come up with her girls, and they would help with the children and chores, till I was able to get on by myself."  She looked around at the folks assembled. "They never asked for nothin' in return.  Most folks probably didn' know they come over.  That was my fault.  I wish I'd  said somethin' so ever'body would know.  They were good people, even if they were witches."  She looked over at the opposing group. "It was wrong what was done that night, and I'm ashamed of all of ya."

Old man Denni, stood up next.  He kept his eyes rooted to the floor, while he twisted his cap in his hands.  "I don't know what happened Father.  I mean I know they all helped us at one time or another, but at the time it seemed right." He glanced up for a moment, but quickly looked back at his feet. "It was like when we go out to chase away a cougar, that strays to close to the village.  I just was protectin' my family.  I grabbed up my pitch fork and joined in with the others." He continued to twist his hat, until it was clear that it could never be worn again. "The others were lyin' before.  It wasn't talkin' we were headin' out to do."

Everyone started to argue again. It quickly got out of hand.

Father Timothy, held his hand up once again for silence.  "I am deeply saddened and disappointed in what I have heard here today.  The Healer and her children have done nothing but the Three Gods work since they have been here."

He was interrupted by Simon. "What about what they done to me? A man wot can't defend 'imself or 'is family's is only half a man.  They put a spell on me so I can't fight back no more."

Father Timothy turned to Justyna, "Is this true?"  At her nod, he asked her to tell what she knew.  "Well Father, the men rushed off to do their worst.  There was no reasoning with them.  When they came back hours later they were spooked.  Simon beat me black and blue for questioning him.  He claimed that Ilia turned into ash before them." 

"Well that's what 'appened."  He interrupted.

Father Timothy shot Simon an exasperated look.  "Please continue, Justyna."

"I must admit Father that I lied to get Simon to allow me to go to the healer's cottage.  I told him I would bring him the witch's treasure.  It was the only way.  The healer and her daughter's have helped me countless times over the years, and I felt that I must go and give respect to her, even if she had passed on.  The next day when I got to the cottage all I found was a large pile of ash like my husband claimed.  I placed flowers about it, and the girls found me taking some of their things.  They didn't get angry or hurt me.  They healed me, Father."  She looked into his eyes. "It was Maman the small one, together with her sister.  They healed away all my aches and pains, until I felt like a new woman.  She told me my child still lived within my belly.  Though Simon tried hard to rid me of it, it lived."  Tears flowed as she continued.  "I never thought I would be able to have one of my own."

Jared hugged her close, and encouraged her to go on. "I didn't know that Simon had followed me.  He attacked us then.  Jamina used her sling and stones to keep him away.  When he found that he could not stop her, he came after me. It was then that..that...." "Go on child."  Father Timothy was intrigued.  "Maman commanded that he stop, and he was unable to move.  She asked him if he would agree to an oath not to cause harm to anyone again. He agreed, and somehow that made it so.  But he had no intension of honoring his word.  He tried his hardest to hurt the little one, Maman. That was when we discovered the strength of the oath he swore.  He nearly killed himself in trying to harm her."  She looked up at everyone. "Maman healed him even though he had just tried to kill her.  After that they offered me the use of their cottage, and everything within.  I helped them pack and sent them on their way."

"Better if she had let me die. I am nothing now." He hung his head low, but said nothing more.

Father Timothy came before Simon, who was as miserable a person as he had ever seen. "My son, you live.  The Gods have gifted you with the greatest gift of all, and you mock this in your grief over your supposed loss.  I believe that you have been given a chance to redeem yourself.  It is no secret that I have long disapproved of your behavior.  You have harmed many over the years, and you now have a chance to follow the Three Gods laws and better yourself, and make reparations.  It does not make you less of a man, if you cannot use your fists to solve differences.  It takes a far stronger man to use his wit, and kindness in dealing with his fellow man."

He then turned and spoke to everyone assembled before him. "Good people of Appleton, I think there is much that can be learned from what has happened since I was with you last.  You allowed fear to overcome reason.  Reason would have shown you to trust what you have always known.  The healers had lived amongst you for many years working miracles on your behalf in the Gods name.  Yet you turned on them without thought, because they were different.  We will bow our heads now, and pray that this never happen again.  Pray that you have learned the lesson.  Let there be no more talk of witchcraft.  Generous acts done in the Three Gods name should be looked upon as the miracles that they are.  And lastly, pray that Ilia be welcomed into the Three Gods home in the heavens, and that her children find safety and acceptance wherever they travel."

Father Timothy then placed his hands over is heart. "In this we pray, Gods please find the sincerity in our hearts, and help us to honor your ways."

"Simon since your wife has seen fit to live elsewhere, I give you leave to repudiate her and end the marriage. Is this your wish?"

Father Timothy had hoped that Simon would take this opportunity to save face, thereby freeing Justyna in the process. "Aye, glad to be rid of 'er.  Filthy lyin' whore.  Not sure the brat she carries is mine anyway.  No tellin' who it belongs to.  The way she's 'oldin on to my boy Jared there, it could be 'is."

There were collective gasps from all around. Father Timothy briefly closed his eyes, as he quickly prayed to the Gods for patience.  It really was too much to hope that Simon would handle this business with any modicum of grace. He glanced over at Jared, and saw that the boy had stiffened in anger, but he held his tongue.  Justyna had hidden her face in her hands, and wept softly. "Simon, that really wasn't necessary.  Justyna is one of my most faithful subjects.  And Jared looks at her as his mother, since she is the only one he has ever known.  I trust them completely." He looked around to see nods of agreement as this pronouncement was accepted.

He held up both hands as he made his decree. "Simon and Justyna, I now dissolve the bonds of marriage.  Since your husband has declared you an unfit wife, he owes you nothing.  You must leave his house with nothing but the clothes you wear upon your back.  Simon, you are now a free man.  You are free to marry again, if you wish."

He hoped Justyna saw this for what it was meant to be.  A chance at freedom.  Simon now had no more ties to her, or the child she carried.

"Today we have also been blessed by wonderful news.  Justyna is with child.  I understand that she now stays in the healer's cottage with Alaina.  Since the cottage was freely given to her by the family, it now belongs to Justyna and her child to do with as she pleases. 

"Lastly, there is no more reason for anger.  What is done cannot be changed. Bury the anger, and the harsh feelings.  Today is Barter day.  Get your wares and bring them inside for trading.  Bring in the food, and drink, for I am parched.  Let us be a town untied once again."

Everyone cheered then, and began chattering amongst themselves, as they rushed off to get their things.  Many people crowded around Justyna and offered her wishes of goodwill.  Whether it was for her unborn child or her unexpected good fortune in being rid of her husband, she wasn't sure.  She was finally free of Simon.  Justyna worried a little that her child would be labeled a bastard, because his father refused to claim him.  But she would see that this child grew up surrounded by those who loved him, and would not be terrorized by his father.  "Yes, I will worry about that years from now.  Today is a happy day, indeed."  She thought to herself.  She looked across the room and caught Alaina's eyes, and smiled. She walked over to her and they gathered up the eggs, and vegetables they brought to trade, and the pies that they would share. 

Not everyone was happy.  Simon was so angry he could spit. "That twice damned preacher tricked me.  I lost everything.  The witch's house should have been mine."  He went off with his friends to drink away his sorrows, and plot his revenge. "I'll get even if it's the last thing I do."

© Copyright 2008 Crysparrow (crangel773 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1426077-Sisters-Chapter-Four-Six