*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1426950-The-Vessel-Chapter--Alyssiah
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1426950
Part from a novel ...Introduces the dark side of character that is established earlier on.
Alyssiah loved hunting for a new toy.  She had to find just the right one though; strong enough to last.  She was severely disappointed with her last find.  She had barely gotten started when that one puttered out.

She traipsed around the open air market, running her hands across this or that.  It was the first warmer day of spring.  The sun was strong and it felt good to expose her flesh to its radiance.  She kept the hem of her green skirt lifted as she walked around to feel the light breeze on her legs.  It was midday and the market was busiest now.  The array of wares was dizzying, but she knew her way around well enough to stay focused on her path. 

She stopped to inspect a necklace that caught her eye.  A large dark red stone was surrounded by waving lines of silver that intertwined and spiraled intricately.  The piece hung on a large silver hoop that was opened at the other end.  It had an organic style she recognized all too well.  She wasn't planning on stopping for wares today, but this was quite a rare find.

"How much for this piece?"  She indicated the necklace and flashed the man behind the cart a sweet smile.
"Ah, my lady, indeed this would be a lovely addition to your already beautiful neck." 
Alyssiah had to place her hand over her mouth to stop her self from scoffing out loud.  What a horrible compliment.  She had no interest in being flattered right now; she just wanted to buy the damn thing.  However, being rude would probably only hold her up longer so she kept her thoughts to herself.

The man was short with untidy clothing and hair.  His nose was red and bulbous and he stank of ale.  Thick, stubby hands lifted the necklace towards her for a closer inspection.
"Well thank you kind sir, I know it would!"  She imagined herself slapping the perverted smirk off his face, making her smile seem more genuine.  She knew he did not craft such elegance; rather he most likely stole it.  No matter, she recognized it as a valuable item and wanted it none the less.

"How much then?" she pushed to get the price so she could be on her way.
"Well now, this is no ordinary trinket my lady, it is..."
"I know very well what this is, however, you sir probably have no idea since the person you acquired it from most likely didn't know you lifted it from their possession!" Alyssiah hissed as she leaned in towards him.  His rank breath made her want to vomit. 
The man leaned back in surprise at her sudden outburst.
Alyssiah leaned in farther and whispered through clenched teeth.  "I understand it is a valuable piece and I wish to buy it from you so please name your price or shall I run you through and just take it?!." 
"Uh, um, I...I suppose..." the man was visibly shaken by her unexpected threat.

Alyssiah sighed heavily and straightened.  Closing her eyes she tried to suppress her rage.  She reached into her coin purse at her side and grabbed a handful of gold coins and threw them on the table.  She then snatched the necklace from the sausage like fingers and curtly walked away.  She did not know how much money she had deposited on the table, but she knew it was more than enough to satisfy the greedy little thief.

Alyssiah hastily continued past the other carts.  She could feel the anger oozing out of her.  She began breathing deeply.  As of late she could barely keep her temper in check.  Normally, she was extremely patient when she wanted to be, but lately she just wasn't herself.  She had needed more and more sessions as of late to help alleviate her growing rage.  If only things were going as planned she wouldn't be so high strung.  At least she had a new plan in mind to help solve the issue; however, finding competent people to help carry it out was proving difficult.

She pushed her way through the crowded street, ignoring the occasional protests from those receiving a firm shove from her.  Finally she reached the edge of the main market area where the crowd began thinning.  She found a bench next to an herb shop and sat down.  Closing her eyes she meditated until that boiling power simmered.  Satisfied that she could again focus on her goal, she opened her eyes.  She brought the necklace up to eye level to inspect it closely, careful not to touch the blood red stone.  She then removed the plain silver pendant she was wearing and placed the heavy piece around her neck.  The weight felt good and she relished the cool feel of the metal against the flesh above her breasts.  She tossed the ordinary silver pendent on the ground.

Alyssiah scanned the street as people walked by.  She saw a young man staring at her from across the road.  She flashed him a smile and he quickly looked away.  She stayed seated and stared, ready to meet his gaze when he looked back. 

He busied himself for a minute, loading a wagon with large bags of seed or some such thing.  He was not wearing a shirt and she could see his sinewy form, his muscles flexing with the effort of lifting the bags.  His tanned skin glistened with sweat in the bright daylight and it seemed she could almost taste it. His dark hair hung slightly over his eyes and he frequently pushed it away.  After a fourth bag was in place, he wiped the sweat from his brow with the back of his forearm then glanced her way.  This time he returned her smile

Well, well, apparently this time the toy has found me.

********

         Matthew couldn't believe his luck.  Never in his wildest dreams could he imagine finding such a beautiful creature that would be interested in him.  Sitting at the window of his parents' small kitchen, he watched the sun dial out in the garden.  His anxiousness was apparent in the rapid bouncing of his left leg.  He became lost in his memories of that afternoon. 

Lydia was her name; her smile was enchanting, her voice like silk.  He had never seen eyes so blue; he could have stared into them forever.  When she had caught him looking at her from across the street he felt foolish and hoped she would leave so he would not have to feel so embarrassed.  When he looked back she was still there, smiling.  He couldn't believe he managed to smile back.  When she beckoned him with a finger, he took a moment to look around, half expecting someone else to be the object of her attention.  When he realized it was him she was looking at, he finally managed to make his feet carry him towards her. 
She was breathtaking.  Her face was flawless, her lips plump and stained deep red.  Rich golden brown ringlets hung over her shoulders, teasing the bare skin above her dark green dress.  When she smiled he thought his knees would fail him.  She was rather forward in the conversation they had, but he found he liked it.  He was always so clumsy around pretty girls that he usually lost any chance with them as soon as he tried to carry a sentence. 
         Coming out of his thoughts, he started as he realized the dial's shadow was just moving past the place indicating it was six o'clock.  He leapt from the wooden bench, took a quick inventory of the coins in his pocket and started out the door.
He spotted his mother on the side of the house, taking down some laundry from a line.
"I am off to meet a friend mamma, don't wait up for me." 
"Ok, but remember you have to drop off that order for Mr. Hubert early tomorrow."
"Don't worry, It'll be done mamma."  He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and merrily strolled away down the dirt path towards town.
When he reached the place Lydia had told him to meet her, he found she was not there just yet.  Relieved he hadn't kept her waiting, he paced slowly up and down the length of the nearby wall, trying to calm his nerves. He thought it was an odd place to meet, but his thoughts of her began to sweep away his doubts. 

It was not yet sundown but he saw a rowdy group walking by that obviously began drinking a bit early in the day.  He watched two brightly dressed women, their breasts barely held in by their tight corsets, walk into one of the larger buildings.  The sign about the entrance reading "The Red Horse" creaked rhythmically in the light evening breeze.  He knew there were prostitutes a plenty in that place.  He had been in there once, his buddy Tom had some luck gambling and insisted that Matthew join him in spending some of it. 

They barely got past the guards at the door, who scrutinized them to no end.  It wasn't until Tom handed over two gold pieces that they finally agreed to let them pass.  Once inside, Matthew realized why their patronage was not allowed until the right price was met.  The room was swarming with nobles and other various high-ranking officiates of the crown.  He recognized many and knew their names.  None of them would know him of course.  He had also been taken aback by how beautiful the women there were.  He was approached by them left and right.  Even knowing it was their business; he couldn't help but feel special by their smooth, flattering talk.

Matthew had wondered at first if Lydia was a prostitute, unable to believe the circumstance he found himself in.  After much consideration though, he conclude that she was not.  Whores were not generally shy about their intent.  Besides, Lydia exuded a certain sophistication and class that he had never encountered before.
"Waiting long?"  Matthew nearly jumped out of his skin at the sound of Lydia's voice.
"Uh,...um no, no, not at all" he gave her a sheepish smile and nervously scratched the hair at the base of his skull.
"Good." She said cheerfully. 
Matthew looked at her for a moment.  Incredibly he thought she looked even more beautiful than earlier today.  The deep azure color of her dress made her blue eyes blaze in the fading sunlight.  There was silver embroidery weaving delicately around the velvet bodice.  The pattern was repeated on the hem of the skirt.  Her hair was done up in an intricate bun with several silver pins inserted here and there.  He could never understand how women got their hair that way. 
She gazed back at him for a moment and then smiled warmly.
"Shall we be on our way?"
She grabbed his hand and started leading him down a small road to the south.
"Where exactly are we going?"  He asked, not that he really cared; as long as he was in her presence he was blissfully happy.
"It's a surprise, so you will just have to be a patient boy."  She looked back at him and winked.
That made him grin so big his cheeks began to hurt.
He wanted to talk more, ask her where she lived, what she did to pass her time.  His tongue just seemed to sit idle though, refusing his orders to speak.  After a minute she released his hand and walked beside him. 
"Do you have someone you're promised to Matthew?" 
The sound of her voice saying his name was beautiful.
"Uh, um, no, no one" he managed to stammer.
"Good!  I don't like to share." she stated flatly, smiling at him.
He smiled back at her.  Never would he as much as look at another woman if she were his.
"You don't talk much do you?"
"Well, no, I guess, well it depends on..."
"Don't worry Matty, I think I can talk enough for the both of us anyways."
Matty.  It sounded a little cutesy, but he didn't mind so much.  She was giving him a nickname already; definitely a good thing.  He smiled at her.  She returned his smile and grabbed his hand.
She continued leading him, turning here and there, chatting idly.

"Well, here we are" she stopped in front of what seemed to be just a brick wall.  It was a large wall, towering at least 4 stories.  He really hadn't paid attention to where they were headed.  He wasn't so sure where they were. 
"Where exactly is here?" he asked cheerfully.
"Oh, just a secret little place I covet" she was standing with her left hand on her hip and gestured to the wall.
"A wall?" skepticism leaked into his voice.
She flashed a knowing smile and placed her right hand on the wall.  She began pushing slightly against a brick; keeping her eyes locked on his.  As she increased the pressure on her hand Matthew couldn't believe what he saw.  A seam began appearing in the brickwork in the shape of a doorway.  Once she pushed it in by about 3 inches, the 'door' began sliding to left, disappearing into the wall.
"It's not magic" she said, seemingly reading his thoughts.  He realized his mouth was agape and quickly snapped it shut.
"It's just an old secret passage from when this building was part of the main palace, hundreds of years ago."
"How do you know about this?" he ask, stunned by the gaping doorway.
"My father was a stone smith as was his father and his before.  He would always show me little secret places that he or our ancestors created for the royal family.  This one is my favorite though; there is no one using this building anymore so it is a very quiet spot.  The secret died with the last royal who used it, most likely at the time of the Blood War"

She took his hand and led him through the opening.  They came into a hallway that looked to run the length of the building in both directions.  Lydia turned back and secured the door back in place, enveloping them in complete darkness.
"Hold on, I just have to find it." Her voice trailed away from him as she made her way through the hallway to the left.  He could hear the sound of her light breathing.

Then bright light erupted and he quickly closed his eyes against it.  With the torch in her left hand she gestured him to follow her with her right.  He complied, the deep shadows from her figure danced in the light of the flame as she led him down the hall.  He noticed the gradual slope of the floor as the corridor descended downward, below ground level. 

The air was becoming heavy with moisture.  It smelled sweet though, like a lightly fragrant flower and something metallic as well.  He was beginning to get a little nervous as the hair on the back of his neck started to stand up.  He wasn't sure how he trusted such a complete stranger to lead him to such an uninviting place.  He ignored his fears.  He needed to start taking more chances in life or else nothing interesting would ever come of it.  Besides, she was a sweet beautiful woman, how could he pass on the opportunity to get to know her?
"Here we are."  Lydia said, coming to a halt before a simple wooden door.  She fumbled around in one of her purses hanging from her belt.  She pulled out an intricate silver key and placed it in the door.  He heard a series of clicks and then the door opened as she simultaneously pushed on it.  The room inside was the last thing Matthew would have expected to see coming off the dungeon-like passage way.

Torchlight reflected off beautiful tapestries and paintings covering the walls.  There was plush velvet furniture with variously patterned pillows atop.  In the far corner was a large bed, its post must have reached near eight feet high.  Looking up he saw the ceiling soared upwards; he couldn't see its end.  The room was at least 10 times the size of his parents' modest house.
"Beautiful, isn't it?" Lydia whispered, seemingly in awe herself.
"I would have never guessed such a beautiful place was hiding in here" Mathew responded, still looking around, trying to take it all in.
"Well, I have always admired how our ancestors created some of the most beautiful things in our world.  This is shining proof."  She smiled proudly, as if her own hands had gone into crafting the incredible space. She then busied herself, lighting some of the numerous candles and lanterns scattered around the luscious room.
Finally taking his eyes from the room and putting them back on her beautiful form, Matthew began to wonder exactly what they were doing here. 
"So, would you like a drink?"  She began walking toward a small wine table near the unlit fireplace before he could answer. Kneeling down, she opened the cupboard doors and began running a finger along the rows of bottles until it rested on her apparent target.
"Ah, this should do nicely" she said more to herself than him it seemed. 
She poured the dark red wine into two ornate crystal glasses.  It reminded him of blood and he felt that same chill return as his hair raised up on his neck and arms.  She handed a glass to him.  The stem was pewter and had a finely detailed dragon winding its way up to the top.  A single green jewel, about the size of his pinky nail rested in one of the dragon's clawed hands.  He wondered how much something like this was worth.  Never had he seen something so beautifully crafted up close. 

He took a hefty sip, and felt the burn of the alcohol.  Although he drank wine on occasion, his palette was not accustomed to it, especially one so dry.  The ale he normally took in was like water compared to this.  He glanced at Lydia before taking another sip; hers was nearly half gone already.  He felt foolish for not keeping up with her and quickly began taking large gulps to try and catch up.  Lydia began fussing with the fireplace and in less than 20 seconds she had rather large fire going.  He wasn't sure how she managed to make it so quickly.
"There a special chemical in some of the logs, that is how it burns so bright so quickly" She gave him a smirk, teasing that she knew what he was thinking.
"You wear your thoughts openly my friend, do not be spooked, it is just that I have a talent at being perceptive to others' tells, so to speak.  Come and sit next to the fire with me, it is rather dank here as I have not been in for a while.  The moisture has a way of taking over this place in my absence."
Matthew complied and seated himself in the cushiony lounge chair across from her.  She absently twirled the dark wine around in its glass as her stark eyes bore into him.  Matthew shifted nervously, trying his best to return her stare, but failing miserably.  A small smile grew across her face. 
"Please, don't be so nervous Matty."
"I'm not really, I...just....well, I am just not so sure what a woman like you is doing with a nobody like me."  He felt embarrassed to admit it, but relieved to get his thoughts off his chest.
"A nobody?" she furrowed her brows.
"I find we never know our greatest potential until put to the test Matthew.  Don't let your supposed station in the eyes of this society dictate how you perceive your self worth.  In the end we are all human and just trying to survive and enjoy what we can while we are here."  She saluted him with her glass and took a large swig.  Matthew returned the gesture.  The burning was not so bad anymore and his glass was almost empty. 
"Besides, it is simply that I find you attractive and interesting; is that so hard to believe?" her smile was playful.
He was glad for the dim light as it hid how red his skin must have turned.  He felt the beginning euphoria of drunkenness kick in.  He had neglected to eat anything after his meeting with Lydia today.  It was nice to finally feel relaxed.
She set her glass down and stood.  Slowly she walked over to him and bent over, kissing him lightly on the lips.  They were so soft. Somehow he found the courage to grab her arm and pull her back to him and this time he returned her kiss.  She let herself fall onto his lap, straddling him.  The feel of her form on him was exhilarating.  She reached up and pulled out several pins from her hair, allowing it to cascade down onto her shoulders.  She then began kissing him on the ear, then the neck, her hot breath setting him on fire.  He returned her advances full on, the momentum of his lust guiding him.  She grabbed his shirt and with one strong pull, ripped it off.  She began running her hands over his smooth chest, then kissed each nipple.  He lifted her up and began ripping at the ties on her bodice.  Finally, he was able to release her from it.  He caressed her breasts then greedily started sucking on them.  She grabbed him by the hair and then forcefully pushed him down onto the thick rug in front of the fireplace.  He gladly submitted to her force.  She lay down beside him and pulled him towards her.  He rolled on top of her, both trying to quickly remove the rest of their clothing.  Finally he was free to enter into her.  She pulled him down close as he did so, her strength frightened and excited him at the same time. 
"I want you Matthew" she whispered as she dug her nails into his back, he felt blood trickling along his skin, but the pain was minimal compared to the primeval pleasure of her body.  Just then, as he felt that peak of pleasure it turned to excruciating pain.  His chest was tight, he felt like he was suffocating.  He tried to stop, but couldn't.  What the fuck it happening to me!  He tried to pull away, but she held him fast.  His head felt like it would explode and dizziness started to set in.  He tried to scream, but found no voice as his energy waned.  He could feel her breath against his ear as she said it. 
"You are mine" she hissed.
Her grip loosened and she flipped him over onto his back.  As her face came into focus he didn't see the sweet beauty of Lydia.  Instead, dark, calculating eyes stared back at him surrounded by a mass of deep crimson ringlets of hair.  Her face had a dark beauty to it and her smile was the most malicious he had ever seen.  Pain and panic was all he could feel as he found himself captured by this strange monster.  She forced his head to the side and leaned in toward him, licking the side of his neck.  What just moments ago would have driven him wild was now repulsive.  He felt a slight prick and then the warmth of his own blood running down his neck.  As he felt her sucking the life out of him, he tried to free himself with what little strength was left, but nothing could release her grip on him now.  His vision began blurring , then all went dark and silent.

********

© Copyright 2008 C M Allen (midorii88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1426950-The-Vessel-Chapter--Alyssiah