*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1427748-Compass-of-Leheredan
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1427748
The beginnigs of my first piratical fantasy fiction novel.
The Compass of Leheredan

Chapter 1

The wind was diligent as it blew through the tattered curtains of the captain's quarters; the Cardanth Sea was always it's roughest in the region where it met up with the Alreayss Ocean.
         Although the wind whipped the sails of the mighty Seashadow, she sailed smoothly over the waves as if she were flying straight through the Cardanth. This mighty ship was the most feared in the eight seas. She was made of expensive ebony planks, which gave her an almost black color. The sails, though tattered, were made of gray canvas. The Seashadow was a small ship according to naval standards, but could still hold five scores of men, easily.
         The helm had elaborate carvings on the wooden planks of the northern and southern star patterns. The wheel was as black as the night sky and had a silver crescent moon carved into its middle. There was a rough looking man at the wheel with long hair to match its dark hue. He shouted commands to the many men around him and they rushed about the deck filling them out.          
They were preparing to dock in the town of Harbor and the crew would disperse over Winevaid so as not to attract attention for they were wanted men. Accused, they were, of stealing, pillaging, and killing. But that was from the authorities. If asked, the crew told a different story.
         "Cap'n we're coming abroad," a young voice called from the crow's nest.
         "Aye, bring up the sails. Hard to port. You men know what to do."
         "Aye Cap'n Rembar you trained us well," another one shouted.
         "I did, I did," Rembar mused as he left the wheel to a dark skinned man and walked back towards his quarters, his boots thudding on the planks as he went. The men were working hard to get their ship safely to the Market Pier Docks before sundown. They had been very lucky coming in for they had not seen a single Sara Trauna Naval ship since nearing Ralick.


Devian waited for the ship to come into sight. He and the crew of the TKS Lumines were anxious, waiting for days now for the Seashadow to arrive. No sound whispered across the water as he raised his hand to signal the crew. The colors leapt up the mast as the sails unfurled, catching the wind and rocketing them towards the Seashadow. The time had come.

         
The cabin door flew open and the maps and other assortment of papers fluttered. "What is the meaning of this?" Rembar demanded as he looked up from under his bushy eyebrows.
         "The TKS Lumines has been spotted just off starboard, sir," Kinn, the Crow man, reported. Kinn was the cabin boy, as well, and had been on the ship since he was six years old. He had windblown, strawberry blonde hair and green eyes. He felt small and meek standing in front of the Capitan.
         "How far out," Rembar had calmed, but there was still urgency in his voice.
         "'Bout a league, maybe," Kinn told him.
         Rembar lowered his head and took off his hat; his black hair fell over his aging face. "And I had thought that we would've made it through without any trouble." He replaced his hat and said to Kinn, "Prepare to fight."
         "Aye, sir." Kinn saluted then left to relay the message to the rest of the crew.
         Rembar heard the bustle of men getting the ship prepared. The sound of the cannons being put into place made him smile, he knew they wouldn't need them; she still had to look tough. The men loved a good fight and they loved to tease their prey, but they wouldn't kill anyone without a good reason. Pirates they were, but kind souls they were also.
Rembar stood from behind his desk and walked out of his cabin. His tattered leather coat furled behind him as he ran up the companion-way. He threw open the door at the top; it hit the wall behind it hard and everyone on deck stopped and stared at their regal pirate king. Rembar smirked, adjusted his three corner hat to the wind, and strode out over the deck.
"Get those cannons locked down and remember don't shoot," he ordered. The ship rocked violently against a wave and one of the cannons started to roll across the deck. "Deda, Maka, Talin, help get that cannon back." 
At an instant three young boys slid down the ropes from above and pushed the cannon back in place.  Deda and Maka were twins with the same dark skin as the navigator. They were about Kinn's age and had a very inquisitive air about them. Talin on the other hand was the oldest boy on the ship. He was thirteen and thought he was invincible. He had tanned skin and bronze hair.
"Come on you landlubbers, the Lumines won't hold back this time." Rembar shouted.


"You wimps ready your swords, you're better than these pirates," Devian shouted at his men. The crew ran to the sides of the ship readying the cannons and preparing the gangways for an attack. Devian was a very arrogant man and showed it any chance he could. He really enjoyed being in power.  He looked over the deck at the rushing men and smiled. The wind teased his sandy blonde hair and the sun shone in his shocking blue eyes. Captain Devian wasn't the biggest man on this ship but he was well-built and looked it in his naval uniform.
         "Captain Devian," a young man inquired from behind him
         "Yes," Devian acknowledged without turning around.
         "The men are wondering who we should kill and who to capture, sir."
         "Capture the captain and the first mate," Devian sneered, "kill the rest."
         The young man looked at Devain with puzzlement. "Sir?" he asked.
         "Yes," Devain answered still looking out over the deck from the helm.
         "May I ask why we are to capture only two? Couldn't we bring them to the King to work?"
         "No," Devain said firmly, a look of annoyance on his face
         "But why sir, we could take them all as-"
         "I said NO!" He screamed and rounded on the young sailor, "They are the most feared pirates on the Alreayss!" All the crew stopped their work and looked at Devian and the frightened sailor. "Now get back to work, all of you, the King wants these vermin at his feet by morning. Do I make myself clear?" His voice rang out over the deck.
         "Yessir," came the reply from all the men as they saluted and busily occupied themselves.


The Seashadow neared the Lumines and the first mate was still below deck packing bags for the journey to Oakwood.
         Someone flew down the stairs. Kinn stormed through the door. "What is it Kinn?" asked the first mate.
         "Cap'n Rembar wants you on deck. We're getting ready for battle against the Lumines," Kinn was breathless and leaned on the ripped knees of his knickers.
         A gleam came into the hazel-green eyes of the first mate. They hadn't fought a Navy ship in ages, and especially the Lumines. It had been searching for the Seashadow for months.  The King wanted Rembar and the first mate's head for being the most evil pirates on the sea. Ha! This was going to be fun. "Kinn, grab my hat!"
         "Yes, First Mate Issa," the boy was nervous. Issa grabbed his shoulder and looked at him. He was more than nervous, he was scared.
         "Have fun, Kinn. I won't let you get hurt," she smiled, "alright?"
         Kinn nodded and smiled, "Thank you ma'am." He handed Issa her hat and scurried back up the stairs to the crow's nest. Issa put her holster belt and her sword on over her faded black skirt. She was a very peculiar pirate, even for a girl. She was wearing a billowy white shirt under a burgundy corset with rose buttons. She had tights on under her skirt and over the tights were black boots with many buckles. She placed her three-corner hat over her red beaded bandanna, which held her curly blonde hair away from her face, and headed up to the deck.

         "We're coming within range of the Seashadow, Captain," the young man's voice rang over the noise.
         "Good," hissed Devian. "Prepare to fire."
         "Prepare to fire," the crew echoed as they placed a ball in the cannon. The fuse was lit and every crew member hit the deck as the cannon shot back with a deafening sound.

"Here it comes," Rembar announced.

He, as had everyone else, heard the cannon fire and they were now just counting the seconds.

5...6...7...

Everyone was so quiet.

8...9...10...

"Hoist the sails," The crew flinched at Issa's quick command, a scream against the relative silence
. Deda, Makin, Talin and Kinn pulled as hard as they could, along with the men. The sails caught the wind immediately. "Brace," shouted Issa as she grabbed a hold of the nearest rope. The crew did the same as the ship lurched forward in the strong wind. The Seashadow was light and built for speed but she was strong and could withstand and major blow. She skipped along the waves, her solid black flag dancing in the wind, as the cannon ball just missed the stern. Rembar stood at the helm and just chuckled.

         "What?!" screamed Devian.
          The young man, who had previously been yelled at came back to Devian's side. "According to my calculations, sir, they heard the cannon before it got to them. Sound does travel faster over water, sir," he chimed.
         Devian whirled on him, "I know!" he yelled. The man turned away briskly as Devain fumed.


The Seashadow turned hard to port and rounded to face the Lumines. They were preparing for a main deck attack.


The Lumines' sails were lowered, but the ship still skipped over the waves straight for the Seashadow. As the two ships neared each other they slowed. The gangways were ready and men clung to the ropes. Then the moment came.
The wooden planks came down and the ropes were swinging. Swords were drawn and the sparks flew. The battle raged on. Rembar's men were having a jolly good time, taunting the seamen. Jab left, parry right. The pirates were impervious.
         
Devain was watching from the forecastle and was becoming irritable. His men were being beaten. These pirates were just having fun and they still could beat a skilled swordsman. He drew his pistol and fired into the air, things were about to get serious.
         
Rembar heard the shot and knew he had to get his men out of there before someone really got hurt. He couldn't afford for anyone to get killed this time.


          The pirates heard Rembar's Signal at the ship's bell and fought their way back to the gangways. Devain had let the captain and the first mate slip through his fingers. He screamed, "Don't let them get away!"  The men at the planks giving it all they had. The Seashadow had to pull away and now! She slowly shifted with the wind and the pirates started to get across the planks. Devian was furious, he wanted something dead. He scanned the crew and found the kid. "Co-Captain Hawk."
A young man, hearing his title, came rushing to him from the throng of men. He had long brown hair, pulled away from his forehead, into a low ponytail. His dark Navy uniform was neat; even though he had just been fighting and his brown eyes had a fire in them. "Yessir?"
"Get him!"


Issa followed behind the rest of the pirates. She had to make sure no one was left behind. She scanned the crowd of men. She spotted someone and cursed. There was Kinn in the stem in combat with a skilled seaman. She had to be quick or Kinn would be lost to Davy Jones. She searched her surroundings and spied the ropes. She raced back through the throng of men to the side of the boat and started to climb. About half way up she took hold of one of the derricks and jumped. The other pirates left on the Lumines stopped to look at her then started fighting again.


Kinn struggled with his little dagger. He had never fought with anyone for real, let alone someone as skilled as this guy. The broad side of the man's sword came down hard on Kinn's shoulder and he fell on his knees. At the mercy of the man's blade, Kinn just cowered.



Issa had to be precise, she had one chance to do this and she didn't want to kill either of them. She just wanted to get Kinn to safety. She took a breath and let go.



The co-captain's sword was raised for the blow when a massive force hit his shoulders. He fell unconscious to the ground. Kinn looked up from his huddled position and saw Issa sitting on top of his enemy.
         "I told you I wouldn't let you get hurt kid," Issa chuckled. She brushed off her skirt as she stood and fixed her hat. The co-captain groaned.  She took Kinn by the arm, glanced back at the man, and led him amid ship to jump back onto the Seashadow. The ship was pulling away as the last of the pirates pushed the gangways into the water. Issa was too late. She reached the bulwarks and looked at the distance between the two ships. She couldn't make that jump even without Kinn in her arms. She turned around to look at the crew; they were helping the man but were making their way towards her. She turned back to the Seashadow and saw Rembar standing at the edge of the ship.
"Rembar, catch," she yelled as she picked Kinn up and threw him across the water. Rembar caught him and they both landed hard on the deck, but Kinn was safe. Issa on the other hand had a score of men coming toward her. Her hazel eyes became wide as she thought of something she could do. The men jumped at her and started to attack. She turned and grabbed the rope attached to the side of the ship and started to climb. This was not one of her better ideas for now she had nowhere to go but up.
From those heights she could see the Lumines for all of its glory. It was a pure white ship and was designed by magic to reflect the light to make it look like it was a light itself. The sails had been made out of durable silver silk, boarded with navy blue. Although the Lumines wasn't as fast as the Seashadow it had more power and it showed in its sheer bulk. She would be a beautiful ship if it wasn't for the people on it.
  The ropes were old and started to fray as she climbed them. She looked down at the five men that were following her up then...snap.
          Issa fell to the ground, hard on her left side, in front of the man she had just knocked unconscious. He smirked at her and waved the other men back. He waited until she arose to get into the fencing stance. "At least these feudal men show a little chivalry," she thought as she stood awkwardly, holding her left side, and drew her sword.
          The first mate and the co-captain circled each other as the rest of the crew watched. The Seashadow was leaving Issa and heading for the horizon. He had hatred in his eyes, she had determination in hers. Issa twitched, ready for him to make his first move. He did and she was ready. The swords met between them. All their forced was pressed into their blades. They clashed and sparked as the two fencers danced toward the bulwarks.
Issa needed to plan this just right. She thrust all her force toward him and knocked his sword back. He was stunned for a moment. He couldn't believe that this piratess was really serious about fighting him. That moment was all Issa needed to take an advantage. She spun with sword in hand to give herself momentum and completely knocked the co-captain's sword out of his hand. The sword flew through the air and stuck into the tar between the planks behind him. Issa smiled with satisfaction and turned to jump on the edge into a life boat. Co- captain Hawk rushed after her and grabbed the back of her belt. He was at least going to get one of the pirates for the king. He jerked her back and she fell into him. He locked her arms behind her and took her pistol out of its holster. Then he pressed it beneath her right ear. She was a hostage. Devian strode up to Hawk and Issa glared at him.  She wasn't afraid, but she was sure as the kraken mad. She had never been defeated. Devian got up close to her face and stared her in the eye.
"I suppose you think you're the bravest pirate on the eight seas?" he chided.
         She started thrashing in Hawk's arms. "Let go!" she stared at Devian with a fire in her eyes. The grip on her arms tightened and she winced.
         Devian sneered and walked away. "The captain and the first mate got away; she's of no value to me. Do what you want with her," he waved his hand in dismissal.
         "Aye, let's keep her for company," said one of the men with a wink.
         "No, you scurvy dog," said another. "Let's keep her so she can cook for us." As the men talked they used fake pirate accents and laughed at Issa.
         "Now men," Co-captain Hawk said with fake sympathy, "let's give the lady some dignity." He pushed Issa over to the side of the boat where the plank was supposed to be with a smile. She tried to get away but with no avail. She glanced back at him, with wide eyes, as he shoved her off into the churning waters of the Cardanth. The men watched over the edge as her hat fell into green-blue water and disappeared under the ship.









Chapter 2

         Issa resurfaced spluttering. The green water churned around her and made her wet curls stick to her face. She was furious; she couldn't believe that she was thrown overboard by a pompous, arrogant, self-centered seaman. She let out a growl-like scream and slapped the water. She was humiliated; she hadn't been beat by any seaman, but by the Co-captain of the Lumines.
         It was inconceivable to her. The Lumines and its crew had been the enemy as far as Issa could remember. Rembar's crew had always beat them, and made fun of them in the process. Now here she was, the second most feared pirate in the eight seas, sopping wet and floating in the wake of that cursed ship. She had given them a little dose of something they didn't need; Confidence.
         A crystal wave rose. Issa held her breathe and let it take her under. She came up gasping for air and treading water to stay up. She was getting angrier by the second. She tossed her head and a piece of seaweed that was caught in her hair stuck to her wet face.
She scowled and wiped it off. The only thing she could do was tread water and wait on the Seashadow.
         Another wave covered her head and she was immersed in the bubbly water. She came back up as the wave slipped back into the endless sea, and with it went her red bandanna. She thrashed to try and get it back but clothes were heavy and wouldn't let her move. Issa's hair floated freely in the water, the red and brown natural lowlights shone in the setting sun. She fumed as she watched the sparkling Lumines disappear as yet another wave crashed over her head.
         This time when she burst up from the murky waters she screamed. Unlike most of the pirates on the Seashadow, Issa wasn't quick tempered. It took her a lot to get mad but when she did she got really mad. Issa saw the Seashadow in the distance turning to port and sail smoothly toward her. She held her breathe and dove under its wake, he black skirts billowing in the bubble. When she resurfaced there was a lift waiting for her, bobbing on the water. She climbed up on it and wrung out her hair as she was hoisted up to the deck.


Aidren walked away from Devian, quite a while later. He was tired of being praised for his triumph over the she-pirate. It was really no big deal to him, any of them could have done it. He hadn't been on the Lumines long, but he knew that the crew had a record of being beaten by the Seashadow. The wind whipped his dark hair as he pulled it out of its ponytail. It fell down in front of his eyes and brushed the bottom of the uniform collar.
          Aidren stalked over and down the companion way. The attention had ticked him off. The crew parted as he walked through, each putting a hand to their brow, briefly. They knew to respect him. He stood in front of his sword that was still lodged in the caulk of the main deck. He wrapped his fingers around the polished wood of the rapier, pulled it out and walked on to the side of the ship. The sun was setting casting reds and purples over his expressionless face.


Issa jumped off the lift on to the deck. Her hair stuck to her face and shoulders; her white handkerchief shirt clung under her maroon corset. Rembar walked up to her, smirking, her hat held out to her. She snatched it and stormed away. He was mocking her she knew that he meant no harm, but she didn't care.
         The hard wood of her quarter's door flew open and smashed into a glass frame on the wall. Issa kicked the door shut and flung her wet self on her hammock. The sun glinted off the broken glass of the picture and Issa's temper melted away. She rose and lifted the water-color portrait out of the shards of the frame. She stared at it for, what felt like, hours as the memories flooded her consciousness.

         
         "Issa, Issa' a woman's voice called. It was a soft and kind, and yet the authority of a mother.
         "Mommy!" Issa squealed with glee. She was four at the time.
         "Where have you been, little one," her mother asked.
         Issa sat on the wood planks of their tree house deck, unlacing her boots. "Me and Vena were helping daddy and Olli in the woods." She beamed with excitement as she told her mother of her little accomplishment.
         "Was Olidran nice to you?" she put her hands on her hips, just above her apron.
         Issa nodded her little curls bouncing up and down, "Yes, mommy, he showed me and Vena where to find acorns."
         "Good." She walked over the rail the fenced their deck and looked over at someone climbing the ladder. Issa ran over and pusher her head through the spindles to see her father carrying a small hart on one shoulder and a long bow on the other. Issa's mom patted her on the shoulder as her father breached the deck and dropped the hart next to the edge. Her older brother Olidran followed him with the basket of acorns that Vena and Issa had found.


         A tear dropped on the painting, smudging the pigment. Issa was pulled out of the daydream and ran to grab a dry towel to dab the water up. She gazed at the picture, trying to take in as much about her family as she could. Like Issa had, her mother had very blonde curls that always looked perfect. Her father and brother were looked very much alike. They were both broad and strong; their good hearted humor was as big as the tree they had lived in.
         She remembered how happy they had all been. Issa missed them so much.


         The Lumines was moored at the east side of Pier Market Docks; the crew had been dismissed. The drunken merriment floated out of every tavern that dotted the shore line. Aidren was reclined on a stool in the crows nest watching the star twinkling over the town of Harbor. The attention he had gained from the fight with the pirate had wore on his nerves and now he was glad to be alone. He traced the circle of eight stars, called The Compass, with his eyes. It's double rings were bisected by an arrow that always pointed North. It was said that The Compass gave direction to any love wanderer wondering where their fate would take them.
The stars were especially bright tonight.
Aidren groaned to himself, as he heard Devian's hard boots ascend the ladder, "What are you doing up here?" Devian asked.
Aidren glanced at him from behind his dark hair; then continued to gaze at the stars. "Nothing," he finally answered.
"Why don't you come down and be a little social with the rest of us?"
"I think I'll pass on that offer," Aidren pushed his hair back form his face and took his glasses out of his pocket. "I've had too much attention today."
"We want to drink in honor of your bravery and quick wit," Devain chuckled, "You don't want to keep us waiting." As much as that sounded like a suggestion, it was an order and Devian knew that Aidren would follow.
Aidren sighed in despair, "I'll be down in a bit," he wouldn't meet Devian's eye.
"I knew you'd come around." Devain turned briskly; the little zephyrs mussed his sandy hair. He gave Aidren one last stare with his ice blue eyes and descended.
Aidren stole one more, longer, glance at the stars, they looked different from land.


Issa sat the picture on the box that served as a nightstand and walked over to the closet that was set into the wall. She smiled inwardly; to think, a pirate with a closet. She shook her head, her still wet curls swaying across her back. I really have come a long way since Rembar found me. She scanned the garments hanging on their wooden hangers, moving with the ships motion. Then I was just a little bilge rat, small, cold, and very scared. She smiled to herself as her fingers ran over the silk kimono that she had bought in the Far Worlds. The dragons flowed easily over the blue contour. Her fingers also brushed the Royal House member's uniform form Atlantis. Few sailors have ever found the entrance to the Forbidden City after it had fallen.  There were the regional garbs of the eight different parts of Winevaid. Lose fitting robes of pale colors from Everwind; black trench coats, breeches and hard soled boots form Shadowhaven; dichromatic stripped shirts known in Riverway. There were multitudes of garments; she had to make sure that she wouldn't be too noticeable in any setting, or any social level.
She finally found the one outfit she needed now. The one that also a part of her history; it was a bark brown tunic and boots to match. She pulled the suede material from it's place in the closet and began to peel off her wet shirt and skirt. The black boots thudded next to the hammock.
Issa groaned, where my other bodice...is oh this wet one will have to do, she thought. The tunic slipped over her head and she laced up the collar with a leather cord. She rummaged through the shelves in the closet, and found some tan leggings to go under the tunic; it was warm out, but not warm enough for bare legs. She pulled on the animal hide boots and examined herself in the only full-sized copper mirror on the ship.
Issa grimaced at the sight of seaweed in her hair. She picked out what she could and plaited it two braids on either side; the red ribbon and purple beads made her look as if she just came out of the Oak College. The outfit always brought back memories, she now looked as if she had lived and learned in Oakwood; her hometown. One more look in the mirror and she was ready to leave, she grabbed the burlap pouch and the leather rucksack and headed for the main deck.


Aidren walked into the Maritime Dragon, the light was low and hazy with smoke and the smell of pipe leaf. He pushed his way through the crowd. Aidren lurched forward, from the force of a push, and smashed into the tawny hairy back of a Leeon, from Artillia. The great man-beast's drink fell form his hand and shattered on the floor. The man turned around, his lion face drawn in anger; a growl emitting from his chest. Aidren raised his empty hands, trying to keep calm, "I am very sorry."
The Leeon snarled and turned back to the bar, his mane catching the dim light.
Aidren finally pushed to the bar and sat on a hard wood stool. He glanced behind him, no sign of the Leeon. Relief swept over him, he was extremely lucky he didn't have a uniform on. Aidren remembered the storied they told on the Lumines of how soldiers were ripped apart by the rage filled beasts; they didn't enjoy being in cages.
"Whatcha want kid?" Yar, the bartend asked him. Aidren had known Yar since he was young, coming in the Dragon ever since he was old enough to pass as sixteen.
"Nothing tonight, Yar."
"Aww c'mon boy, you look awful. Ya need a drink," he leaned his burly elbows on the bar, "I can see it in yer eyes."
"Alright," Aidren's patience was tried, "I'll take one if you leave me alone!"
"Always the one with the temper, ya were, so what will it be?"
" Half pint of...whatever," Aidren ran his hand over his forehead and through his hair.
"Yessir!" Yar saluted in jest.
Aidren picked up the nearest empty tankard and threw it Yar's way. He just laughed in return and walked through to the kitchen.



Issa opened the cabin hatches and set foot out into the setting sunlight. She felt the stares of the crew on her back as she marched up to the helm to stand beside Rembar.
"Wooooo," Rembar whistled, "Aren't you looking mighty fine this evening, Miss Issa" he smiled at her, his dark eyes crinkling at the edges.
"Quiet your mouth, Rembar. Nobody likes a smart-elec," she glared at him, trying to fight the corners of her mouth form curling up.
Rembar just beamed.
"When do you think we will get to Harbor?"
"Sometime in the night, four more bells, maybe," he answered her, the gruffness returning to his voice.
"Good, we don't need another visit from a TKS ship." All of the authority that had been given to her, showed plainly on her face.
"My thought exactly," He shifted his weight with the wheel, his black hair brushing his stern face. "Trim the sails!" rang his command.
"Will they be ready; we can't have any one caught this time."
"Yes, they have all been told, exactly, what to do. More than half of them are going to Shadowhaven and the rest are going to see their families," Rembar drew out his compass in his over-worked hands and tilted the wheel.
"And the midshipmen?  Not to mention Kinn."
"The kids are staying on the ship," he chuckled, "After the mischief that Talin caused in the Far Worlds he won't be getting off this ship in a while."
Issa smiled, this is going to work.
The moon was rising; a tiny sliver of purple against the dark sky. The Seashadow's black silhouette was undetected by the watch towers on shore. She would be anchored on the west side of Pier Market Docks; the water was deep there and it was abandoned so they would be unnoticed for months. They set anchor about 500 fathoms out and readied the life boats. Issa and four other men were in one boat, following Rembar, and trying to sail with the current of the Cardanth. An hour later they reached the stony shores of the country Ralick. Ten boats were pulled ashore and hidden in the brush.
"Alright, men," Rembar looked around at his ramshackle crew. "Stay low, if you get caught," here he lowered his voice, "it's your funeral!"
"Aye, Aye," mumbled many of the sailors together.
The fifty men turned and disappeared one by one, silently, into the night.
"Where are you going Rembar?" Issa whispered, as she hauled her bags out of the little sail boat.
"Eh, just to see a friend," he murmured. He pushed Issa's boat under the shrubs and slipped into the quiet woods.
Issa was left there, alone. The moon was setting behind the trees, casting long shadows across the beach. She hoisted her pack and began the walk up the slope to the bustling pier markets of Harbor.

Aidren sat at the bar, not being bothered by anyone. This is really nice, to feel like you're just one of the crowd. He had been there for well over an hour, and had had well over two pints. Devain hadn't even breathed a word in that tavern yet and Aidren was beginning to wonder where he was.  He didn't drag me off of that ship for nothing. An old man beside him fell off of his stool, followed by twenty tankards. Aidren chuckled to himself and took a sip form his own.

Issa approached the ale barn of the Maritime Dragon; she scanned the area for curios beings and slipped inside. She crept behind the multitudes of kegs looking for a special one, in particular. She found it at the very back of the barn. Perfect.  She lifted off the top and there sitting in the bottom of the barrel, where she had left it many years ago, was her yew longbow and a quiver full of arrows. She pulled them out gingerly and knocked an arrow. The bowed pulled back smoothly. Breathe in...Breath out...THUNK. Wine seeped out of the cracks of the keg she had hit. Right on target. She pulled out the arrow and let the wine fall into her hands. It was so sweet she cupped it in her hands several times. She brought out her wine skin and filled it up before putting her bow, quiver, and rucksack in the keg. She crept back to the door, licking her lips, and walked to the front of the tavern.

Aidren watched Yar and a couple of Leeons carry the old up to his room. They disappeared up the stairs, above the haze that hung over the room. The low light glinted off of his glasses as he scanned the room for Devian. Figures he drags me in here to be social, and then doesn't show himself. Aidren bent over his mug and seethed.


The air almost choked Issa when she walked into the cloud of smoke. She had been so long out at sea that she had forgotten what pollution thrived in the taverns of Ralick. The crowds thrived between her and the bar; making it impossible to get to.
"S'cuse us," a loud thick accented voice hollered through the throng of people. The crowd parted and Issa saw a large burly man in a white apron carrying a man up the stairs with the help of a species that she had never seen before. She took the opportunity and walked through the space into the crowd. Before she could to the stools lined at the bar, the throng pressed together again, knocking her balance askew and forcing her into the back of a young man sitting at the bar.

Aidren felt the sharp pressure against his back and reacted before he could think. He rounded on his stool and punched whatever, or whoever, had hit him.

Issa didn't even have time to understand what had been shoved into her gut, she just doubled over in pain.
© Copyright 2008 Catrine O'Deil (greenwings2406 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1427748-Compass-of-Leheredan