*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1427861-A-Bull-in-The-Basement
by mlj
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1427861
There is a bull in the basement or is there?
A Bull in the Basement

          A violent thunderstorm passed through the area in the hours before sunup, the storm had uprooted trees and the fence in the north pasture was down.  Our red Angus bull was out, as a bull on the loose is never a good thing. The bull wandered up to the farm buildings, and my six year old brother was outside playing when the bull saw him. Our Border collie, Argos, got between the bull and the boy; fortunately my brother had enough sense to climb up a tree to get out of danger.
          The bull and the Argos face off, circling each other; the bull snorts and paws the ground, the dog growls, and starts barking all the more. The bull puts his head down charges and Argos tries to get behind the bull and bite him in the leg. The bull bunts the dog and sends him flying though the air. Poor Argos lands, a heap on the ground, the wind knocked out of him, however; he has distracted the bull from charging the boy. The bull stops for a moment and sees the dog getting up; he lowers his head to charge once more. What to do? What to do? I saw a rock the size of a softball, I picked it up.
          "Hey bull, come after me why don't you?" I yelled and I threw the rock as hard as I could and hit the bull in the flank. That rock bouncing off his ribs got his attention, and charged me he did. I ran to across the farmyard with an angry red Angus bull in hot pursuit. The basement door was open, I ran for it, and then ran up the stairs to the main level of the house.
"Mother get you and the little ones out of this house now, there is a bull chasing me."
         I heard the bull as he crashed through the open basement door and the destruction of everything in his path. Now he was coming up the stairs to the main floor, I couched by the stairway. As the bull came closer I started kicking him in the head, like that was going to stop an angry bull, kicking and kicking and kicking.
         My wife suddenly sits up straight in bed with a start; once I kicked her leg while dreaming I was fighting a rattlesnake.
"What are kicking at now, another rattlesnake?" she demanded.
"Uh, what "I said while still was half asleep.
"Its dangerous sleeping with you"
"Oh I was kicking a bull in the head" I replied as I pulled off the RESPIONICS REMSTAR PRO M series face mask I was wearing.
"You were what?" and she starts to laugh.
I continued trying to explain my recent behavior.
"A bull was charging me, he was in the house, coming up the stairs and I was kicking him in the head at the top of the stairs to stop him, not that it would."
My wife was really laughing hysterically now; she almost fell out of the bed.
"Well what was I supposed to do, what would you do?" I asked her and that made her laugh harder still.
"Was it something you ate today that caused this, did you miss taking your medication or did you take too much?" she asked.
Now we were both laughing hard.
"No I don't think so."
Finally, after about five minutes we got our laughter somewhat under control she said "You had better put your mask back on try to go back to sleep, and no more dreaming about bulls chasing at you up the stairs."
"Well why not, don't you like being woken up by me kicking you in the leg."
"Oh go back to sleep"
"Yes dear, good night dear", and off I go again into dreamland.




© Copyright 2008 mlj (newpen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1427861-A-Bull-in-The-Basement