*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1428121-Link-Chapter-2
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1428121
The second chapter of Link and the first chapter of the actual story
Chapter 2

Kynn's mind was reeling from the grilling he had just received.  The Sisters had thrown question after question at him and his answers had been recorded, as were his response times and the manner of his replies.  He walked through the dark corridors of the nunnery, hardly noticing the ancient paintings on the walls and the polished wood of the walls and floors.
He went back over the questions to see if he could have answered better.
"Does an end justify the means?" Sister Mein
"Is morality about following rules?"  Sister Deivus
"Explain what is meant by conscience!"  Sister Mora
Kynn shook his head at his reflection of answers.  He had stumbled over more than one and cut off twice during his bumbling replies.
"Can you ever justify lying?"  Sister Mein
"Well... yes.. sometimes... I think um err that err."
"Thank you Kynn, let's leave that and move on!"
He reached the end of the corridor, pushed open the door and stepped out into the sunshine.  He hadn't been to this part of the complex before and guessed it lay in the secretive centre of the nunnery.  It was definitely the door he had been directed towards.  Where should he go now?  An alley between two long buildings stretched before him and narrow, dingy alleys led to both left and right.  No clues presented themselves as to the direction he should take so he walked briskly ahead.  The buildings on either side were stone and looked old.  No windows broke their sombre appearance but two doors, one on the left and one on the right indicated the means of entry.  He pushed both doors but found them locked.  He walked on.  Ahead, another alley bisected the one he moved along.  He could hear his shoes clicking on the stone floor.  Two men suddenly appeared from the bisecting alley in front of him.  They were both dressed in ordinary working clothes, but they held swords in their hands.  They stopped and stared at him.  Kynn continued walking towards them.  He had no reason to fear anyone in the nunnery.  It was a companionship; a place of common purpose: the Sisters provided the guidance; the men, like Kynn, trained for common defence and protection and the merchants provided the wealth and material goods.
There were disagreements, of course, but these were dealt with in a civilised manner.  Murder and robbery were virtually unknown and the perpetrators excluded from the community. It was therefore with astonishment that Kynn saw the men take up an offensive stance with their swords pointing at him.  For a moment he stood and stared at them, unmoving.
"Throw your purse in our direction and you can be on your way!"
"You are trying to rob me?" Kynn heard the incredulity in his own voice.
Neither man did so much as smile but continued to stare at him.  Kynn heard a door close behind him and quickly glanced behind.  Two more men were in the alley behind him.  One held a sword and the other a club.
"There's no point in a fight.  So put down your sword and throw us your purse and you'll be allowed past."
Kynn thought quickly.  "I don't think so!"  His reply was greeted with silence. "If you rob me you lose your right to live within these walls.  I've seen your faces.  You will have no choice but to kill me if you wish to stay here.  Therefore I will fight."
"Four against one?"
Kynn smiled.  "I won't have to win.  Just survive long enough for this fight to be heard.  There'll be a score of Red Cloaks or Guards here in seconds.  I suggest you give this up and try to hide yourselves away."  Kynn had expected some reaction but not an increase in their aggressive manner.
All four of the men started towards him and Kynn pulled his sword, with a keening squeal, from his scabbard.  He turned sideways to put a wall behind him and watch both sides at the same time.  His sword swished left and right protecting his both sides.
Kynn felt himself relax into his fighting stance.  He was a good swordsman and believed in his own ability.  He felt a calmness wash over him and prepared to meet his enemies. Then suddenly it was over.  The men turned and ran back in the directions they had come from.  It took Kynn a few moments to realise that he was not going to have to fight.  He put his sword back into its scabbard and felt his breath expel from his lungs.  Even in a relaxed manner for fighting there was still a tension.  He looked around to make sure he was still alone, then continued with his walk along the alley.  He looked carefully at the junction of the bisecting alley, to ensure he was not ambushed, then continued across between more featureless buildings.  At the end of this alley another building blocked his way and it looked as if another thin alley cut across it.  His attention, however, was not on the alley but on the door at the far end that had opened.  A Sister stood at the door looking at him.  Kynn walked on.  The Sister gestured for him to enter.  Kynn again recognised the inside of the Nunnery and when Sister Deivus appeared and gestured to another room, he realised for certain that the previous encounter had been part of his exam.  Kynn was surprised as he had never heard of this practical aspect before.
Kynn entered the room and was surprised further by the Mother sitting waiting for him as well as two other Sisters and one of the men who had threatened him.
"Sit down Kynn."  The Mother gestured to him kindly.  Kynn sat and waited for a further address.
"Well your tests are over."  Continued The Mother.  "In the last test, do you think your response to the aggression was suitable?"
Kynn glanced over to the man who had confronted him.  The man sat with his visage frozen.  There was no encouragement there.
"I think so.  Had a fight ensued, its noise would have carried and brought swift retribution on the four men."
"Fine!" spoke the anonymous man.  "But what if it had not happened within these walls but on a lonely path or an unfriendly town?"
"Then my response would have changed to accommodate the other surroundings.  My response today was correct within the context of where I was."
Sister Deivus spoke up.  "So violence is justified in that situation?"
Lessons from the Sisters had always been against violence and he guessed that the test was to see if their teachings were remembered within practical contexts.  Kynn saw no point in fudging the issue, however.  "Responses to other people always have to take in the appropriate situations.  In today's confrontation a violent response was appropriate because it could not have ended satisfactorily for the attackers."
"It could have ended your life!" spoke the man.
"I don't think so.  My own skills would have bought enough time to bring help."  Kynn was beginning to get angry.
"Better to give away your purse than risk your life!"
"Better to be protected from thieves who would take your purse and then take your life."
Mother interjected.  "That's fine.  Thank you Kynn.  Your testing is complete and the ceremony tomorrow will reward you suitably for your skills and answers.
Kynn realised that that statement gave nothing away.
"Do you have any questions?"  Mother asked him.
"I have never heard anyone speak of this practical test before.  I thought the Cloak Ceremony was based on just the practical assignments and the theory exams."
Mother smiled.  "Every now and then it is felt necessary to take some students to a different level to ensure that we award the right Cloak.  I would hope very much that this test will not be mentioned by you to anyone else, so that it might maintain its element of surprise?"
"I won't speak of it to anyone."
"No, I didn't think you would, which is why it was put to you.  That's all.  We will see you tomorrow at the ceremony."
Kynn stood, nodded to the examiners and left. He wondered for the next few hours what the significance of today's events were.  Was he to be specially rewarded with a high quality Cloak, or was he tested specially because he was in danger of failing?  Who were his attackers.  He didn't know everyone in Kamwa but he thought he had seen everyone who lived there.  The four men though were all complete strangers.  Where could they possibly live that he had never seen them before?  Kamwa was large, but after two years of training surely he had seen everyone at least once.  Still pondering the day, Kynn made his way to the rear of the Nunnery and exited the rear walls to visit the open market that flourished in the secret valley behind the Fortress.

*                              *                              *                              *                              *

Kamwa had been built as a dual-purpose building.  It served as a Nunnery to the Sisters who devoted their lives to helping others.  It was also a fortress as a precaution against attack.  It was built at the top of a medium sized mountain within the range of mountains known as The Spine.  The Spine stretched almost the whole length of the known world, north to south, with vast flat plains on either side.  The particular siting of Kamwa was where a gap in the Spine Mountain range allowed a huge fortress to be built within the mountain gap, allowing no invaders to get behind the Nunnery, unless able to scale the sheer sides of the surrounding mountains.  To gain access to the enclosed valley behind, visitors, or invaders, would have to pass through the fortress itself.  The valley behind was completely enclosed except for a river which broke through the northern sides, flowed through the length of Kamwa valley and then disappeared into the southern mountain side.  Attempts had been made to see if invaders could use either waterway as an entrance, but no access had been discovered.  The valley was now covered by industry and market stalls.  On the far side of the river had grown the farms that reared animals, raised crops and, most famously, farmed the grapes that made the Vinyo wine, revered throughout the land.  On the near side were pathways which wound down to the valley floor, and the river.  These pathways were flanked on both sides by small permanent shops and temporary market stalls, with a myriad of items available for sale.
Kynn made his way down the paths towards the river.  He loved visiting the markets with their various stalls.  He hadn't seen many places but he was assured that there was no other market quite like it anywhere else.  There were bigger markets but no better ones.
The Sisters provided a refuge for vulnerable people.  Many who had lost their vulnerability in that safe haven then stayed to establish their lives with small businesses.  Arrivers and Belongers mixed freely and happily.  The Belongers provided normal everyday services of builders and plumbers and wine makers or craft creators, whilst the Arrivers, with their small magical powers were more bohemian.  Many Arrivers' talents were in the areas of reading minds or moving things by thought.  A small few had more exotic talents.  The stalls owned by Arrivers did fortune telling or entertaining with magic tricks.  One very famous shop, which always had a queue, was able to cure small personal, physical problems, like warts, rheumatism or skin blemishes, just by touching and using the mind to affect body problems.
Kynn walked slowly in the warm afternoon sunshine.  He looked at many of the stalls but did not buy.  He simply enjoyed watching the bartering processes or looked at the crafts on display.  He considered visiting the "Healthy You" shop, visited by many of the training Cloaks.  Here he could get a mind analysis of his personal physical shape and be recommended a diet to improve on his current demeanour.  He shied away once again.  He wasn't too keen on people who might be able to see more than physical defects but might also see into his thoughts.
At the bottom of the slope, alongside the river, Kynn stepped into the cool interior of "The Nun and Priest".  The Inn was dark and secretive with many small alcoves to enable couples or business people to have private conversations.  It smelled of wood and old beer, and when cold, the sound and smell of a fire added to its attractions.  The whole place was low-beamed and intimate.  Kynn always enjoyed visiting. In the back room, overlooking the river, Kynn found Eldormi with a glass of Vinyo before her.
"Ok with that or do you want another?" Eldormi shook her head and Kynn went off to get some refreshment for himself.  When he returned he sat next to Eldormi.  She kissed him on the cheek.
"How did the tests go?" she asked.
"Some good, some I don't know."  Kynn wasn't going to tell even Eldormi about the special test he had received.  They had been good friends and then lovers for the two years of their training to be Cloaks.  She was slim with long brown hair, tied up today into a long ponytail.  She had light clear skin that contrasted with Kynn's deeper tan.  She always stayed out of the sun whenever possible.  Her eyes were blue and occasionally in the right light would shine incandescently. Eldormi was a pretty girl and enjoyed a lot of attention.  Quite a lot of attention came from The Club, the group of four, though she had resisted their attempts to charm her.
Kynn contrasted greatly with her.  He was much taller, though also of a slim, athletic build.  He too had long brown hair though his eyes were brown and rarely attracted attention like Eldormi's.  Kynn was almost two years younger than Eldormi and sometimes their relationship seemed strained.  Kynn often wondered if it were the age difference which caused the problem.
"So what do you think?  White or Red Cloak?"  She looked at him earnestly.
Kynn Laughed.  "Red Cloak.  There's no chance of me getting a White.  They only give out one or two Whites a year and there's at least four people who are in the running for that!"
"The Club!"  Eldormi spoke the name with scorn.
"Precisely." Replied Kynn. Edwen, Denner, Geniki and Dara could all lay claim to being a White, and after that there's only Reds left."
"Or Blue!"
"Don't!"  Replied Kynn.  "I don't even want to think about being awarded a Blue!"
"It's a nice colour." Laughed Eldormi.
"So nice you never see anyone wearing one."
"I've never understood why they award a Blue.  The others yes - White for top athlete, soldier and diplomat - Red for good athlete and soldier; why the Blue?"
"I guess that if you've completed the training and not been thrown out it's a consolation for still not quite being good enough."
"Not much consolation."
"No.  They give out a Blue only occasionally, but I've never seen anyone wearing one."
"I suppose they just hide them away in a cupboard and forget them?"
Kynn nodded in agreement.  "So it's graduation tomorrow."
"Yes and today I'm just going to relax and enjoy it."
"Fancy a bit of relaxation in my room?"  Kynn smiled at her.
Eldormi looked back at him, held his hand and smiled.  "Let's go!"
Kynn finished his drink quickly and then led Eldormi back out into the sunshine.

*                              *                              *                              *                              *

The following morning was ushered in with a downpour of rain.  This soon cleared and the noisy preparations for the graduation ceremony filled the Nunnery with banging and clanking as the podiums and tiered stadiums were erected.  There were traditionally one hundred potential graduates to be given their Cloaks.  The most revered were the White Cloaks which gave enormous prestige to their owners.  The Nun's Cloaks were known throughout the world as the most fearsome and formidable troops.  At their head came the small squadrons of White Cloaks, selected as only the most elite students. Their numbers remained small and exclusive. 
The Red Cloaks, however were still a very elite band.  The mainstay of the defence of Kamwa and its Sisterhood, they were cheered wherever they appeared.  They were recognised as fearsome foes but fair and righteous in their stance.  They had a motto - "Never to war: Always to Defence".  To be a Red Cloak was an honour to be cherished. 
The Blue Cloaks were considered failures by the other Cloak regiments, but the reality was they had passed the graduation.  To simply be accepted on the course was an honour.  To fail it still allowed automatic entry into the Nunnery Guards.  These guards themselves were considered a formidable opponent and it was they who did the day-by-day watching over of the Nunnery, checking for unsavoury business and doing the everyday safety of Kamwa.  It was said that to see the Nun's Guards, flanked by The Red Cloaks, and led by The White cloaks was a spectacle to remember, but the last spectacle to be seen, if you happened to be the enemy.
Kynn sat quietly in the men's changing area, getting his equipment right for the ceremony.  The changing area was a large hall with lockers down its centre; each student having his own space.  There was room for two hundred.  This allowed for the graduating class and the class that was graduating the following year.  The women's changing area was much smaller: not through a lack of applications, but far fewer women passed the stringent physical tests although their mental applications did at least as well in the exams as the men.
Kynn checked the leather parts of his uniform were gleaming and the ceremonial weapons shone golden in the sunlight.  He could hear the final preparations outside slowly diminishing.  The noise of the arriving spectators was slowly growing.  A city of tents had been erected outside the Nunnery over the previous week as family and friends of the graduates arrived for the famous ceremony.  There was no room inside for a large number of visitors.
The door of the changing room burst open and The Club of four burst in, laughing and shouting.  Every head in the room looked up to watch their entry and the four young men knew it and played to the gallery.
"Ten to one : the silver pin goes to Geniki?"  This was Edwen shouting out.  Everyone knew that Edwen was by far the favourite.  He had blond hair shaped by the top hairdressers with green eyes that shone from his fair face.  Young girls and older women alike had their attention drawn to him, to watch his movements and grace and features.
Kynn disliked him.  It wasn't jealousy, he argued to himself.  More, it was the arrogance and simple dismissal of people not his equal that irked Kynn.  He ignored the four of them and continued shining his leathers.
The time passed swiftly and soon they were being ushered out to the prep area of the quadrangle where the audience were seated.  This area was hidden from the audience by a wall.  The wall hid the graduates themselves, but any who had already put on their ceremonial plumes could be seen and a flutter of noise rose with every plume spotted.  The graduates sat and waited in alphabetical order.  Eldormi arrived and sat just in front of Kynn.  Her normally radiant face was pale and serious.
"Nervous?" Kynn asked.
"You could say that.  I've been to the toilet three times already, this morning!"
Kynn laughed.  "You'll be alright.  Red Cloak a certainty!"
Eldormi looked at him.  "You still so sure you won't be a surprise White?"
"Definitely!  I'm resigned to a Red and that's it."
Eldormi reached for his hand.  "I'll be glad when it's over!"
"How about down "The Nun And Priest" for a serious vinyo once it's over?"
"I'd go now if I could."
They lapsed into silence for a while, Eldormi's hands constantly moving in agitation.  Then came the message down the line to "Plume Up" and they knew it was beginning.  Everyone remained seated whilst they placed the white, red and Blue plumes on their heads and the chatter from the graduates fell to a silence.  The noise of the audience grew in anticipation.  A roar from the crowd indicated that The Mother and her Senior Team were crossing the courtyard and taking their places on the podium.
Kynn's heart now began to beat harder.  Earlier he had felt as collected as he had said to Eldormi but now his legs were becoming watery and he felt his insides fluttering.  He looked down the line of seated men and women and saw the plumes gusting in co-ordinated bows and waves.  The movement was exaggerated by the constant shifting of nervous bodies, anxious to be up and moving.  The Mother's voice came quietly across the courtyard to them and the crowd hushed to listen.  Kynn could feel his breathing deepening and he opened his mouth to get more air into his lungs.  Eldormi was sat next to him with her head bowed and one hand fiddling with her hair.
Then before they could adjust to the change they were all suddenly on their feet and walking to the far end of the walled section and onto the quadrangle.  The noise from the crowd was unbelievable as it rose at the sight of the plumes above the wall and then the line of graduates entering the square.  They all lined up in a single file facing The Mother and the audience and once in place the audience began to quiet once again to hear The Mother speak.
"Before us stand our latest recruits in the battle against greed and tyranny.  I will not dwell long on this battle, as it is a fight known well to all of us, except to say that the battle is increasing in intensity.
"These young men and women are likely to face more and greater danger than any of their predecessors in the last one hundred years.  The world we have created here is changing and it is not for the better.  The graduates here have the daunting task of ensuring that the eventual change is to the betterment of our world and not the individuals who wish to take it for their own."
The applause was loud but not fervent.  The audience were here for the ceremony concerning their sons and daughters and not for politics.  The Mother knew all of this and turned immediately to the graduation.
"I'm sure you all know this, but I shall bore you one more time with the details.  These students have been here to develop their skills in thinking and physical defence for two years.  Before you there are ninety eight graduates - we aim at one hundred, but prefer quality over inflexibility.  The starting number was over four hundred."  A gasp from the audience.  "Only the best have survived.  Three students this year will be awarded the prestigious White Cloak.  Ninety two will get the Red Cloak and three will be offered the Blue Cloak.
Further, one outstanding student will be given the Silver Pin of distinction.  So without further torture for yourselves or the graduates, let us begin.  We will start with The Whites."
A buzz of anticipation raced through the crown and the students.  Kynn could see Edwen already looking confident and glancing around at the other students with a smile on his face.  Most of the graduates remained staring straight ahead.  Their dream of a White was one dream too far and they knew it.
The names of Derwen, Geniki and Dara were called forward to rapturous applause.  Kynn glanced at Denner, the one of the Club of Four to miss out on a White, but he held a stony face and stared straight ahead.  The successful candidates now stood two steps before their associates.
Then The Mother began to call out the Reds.  One by one she made her way through the alphabetical list and one by one the Reds stepped forward one pace.  No one was missed out and Kynn's heart missed a beat when it came to Eldormi's turn.  Her name was called and Kynn relaxed and smiled in relief and even whispered, "Well done!" to her.  He had almost stepped forward himself, as his name followed hers, but was shocked into stillness when his named was missed and the next person called to step forward.  Kynn knew a mistake had been made.  Surely he had been close to a White, at least to merit consideration.  The Mother must have missed him out by accident.  He felt faces turning to him.  Many looked shocked.  Eldormi looked close to tears.  Then it was past and the list continued pulling more out from the line until only three forlorn figures were left on the back row.
Kynn found himself staring at the ground.  He heard nothing of the rest of the ceremony.  He didn't feel the heat of the sun on his shoulders nor did he hear the tears from his right of another who had been left behind.  He didn't hear the announcement and cheers in response to Edwen's Silver Pin.  He did feel bitterness.  He went over in his mind the events of the four men who semi-attacked him.  What was that all about?  What had he done wrong?  Should he have given over his purse to be right?  How many others had been so tested?  The questions went on and on and then suddenly the audience were standing and coming down to greet their sons and daughters with smiles and laughter.  No one came to the three left at the back.  There was no one for Kynn.  He was an Arriver taken in by The Sisters so had no other family, but the other two had mothers and fathers and siblings in the stands.  They would have to wait for another hour for the decision about Blue Cloaks.
A gesture from over on his right indicated Kynn and the other two were to return to the Nunnery.  Kynn looked for Eldormi but she was still being hugged by a small group around her.  He trudged slowly across the endless dusty yard to the cool of the building, feeling completely lost and bewildered.
© Copyright 2008 David E Owen (dai_owen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1428121-Link-Chapter-2