*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1428785-Silence-of-the-Spam
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Article · Comedy · #1428785
Tired of Spam Mail? Honestly, I think my "paid for" Security Center is sending it to me!

Since this piece has been posted on a website, I can "safely" assume you are somewhat computer literature. I can also "safely" assume the majority of you own, or at least have access to a computer. I can also "safely" assume you have ALL been exposed to some sort of SPAM/SCAM mail; regardless of your firewall, your security suite, or whatever type of guard dog that you employ.

One only has to think like a criminal to understand that the devious mind will always be one step ahead of the general trusting populace. Take for instance, the movie, "Catch Me if You Can," where Frank W. Abagnale Jr. passes himself off as a pilot, a doctor, a lawyer; a mastermind of deceit. I think we all know there IS a man behind the curtain that we SHOULD be paying attention to.

The guy who creates an email chain that promises you good fortune if you don't break the chain. He sometimes even professes bad fortune if not forwarded; so you forward it on only to receive hate mail from the friends you sent it to. Some of the chains are gorgeous American flags flying, religious icons (God forbid you not forward on religious mail...you'll rot in hell if you don't), pictures and poetry of puppies and kittens, anything an honest individual would consider heart-felt and home spun. Well, guess again my email pens; this stuff is what corrupts, infects, and upsets the entire internet applecart. One bad apple can and does spoil the whole bunch; so think twice before forwarding on that wonderful little piece that speaks highly of friends and why the piece needs to be sent to them.

Just this week alone I have been advised of an IRS Scam via email...telling me that the IRS has miscalculated my tax refund and I have additional funds due me, provided I click on their site and complete the form; the form that asks for personal information.

Oh, and then I received an email from Pay Pal telling me a charge or $219.95 for a Pink Razor phone would be charged against my credit card unless I clicked on "Dispute Transaction." Again, asking for personal information

Then an email from my bank's letterhead advising me to review my account information and if it's incomplete to please fill in appropriate information.

Right after that I found out there's another scam involving the Virginia Tech tragedy; phony charities sending you emails asking for your donations.

I question whether my two year subscription to a reputable security center is legit. The day I downloaded the software onto my laptop was the day I received my first pop-up; a pop-up claiming to be a security scan; which I, naturally clicked on. I doubt it was supposed to direct me to the Bayside Babes porn screen.

I question every email now. Sometimes the scammers are really easy to detect. One of my favorites is the man behind the curtain that has never learned the English language and cannot spell "lottory" correctly. My "inharitance" from some lost family Duke or Earl from some far off country is bekking my assistens. Prince Fayad Bolkiah, the eldest son of Prince Jefri Bolkiah, former Finance Minister of Brunei, the tiny oil-rich sultanate on the Gulf Island of Borneo who seems to be having a tad bit of family trouble. He's asking for you assistance in some investment scam offering a 5% return for your troubles.

Clearly, things are not clear, nor are they cut and dry. Remember, you have to think like the criminal to recognize something that could be deceitful. I just know...if you send this piece to 25 of your closest email buddies, within one hour, you will be assured good fortune and God's blessings, along with a knock on your door from Ed McMahon...if you don't...well, there is no telling what could happen; some infectious disease of sort will plague you and your loved ones for eternity...I suspect.


Gone Phishing
© Copyright 2008 WE Bluestocking (outspokin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1428785-Silence-of-the-Spam