*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1429673-Fearsome-Goat-Unfinished
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Psychology · #1429673
He comes to torment her in her dreams (contest entry)
Fearsome Goat


Dr. Orestes looked down his fine nose, then lifted his head and looked at her with heavy-lidded eyes as though he had taken four Ambian and still couldn't sleep. "So, you are having recurring nightmares about a goat?"

"Not just any goat, Dr. O. It is half goat, half man, sort of like a satyr but not quite. It's legs are longer like a horse's legs. The face of the goat looks almost human and there's white hair on his head and chin."

"So, it's appearance is what frightens you so much."

"No, not really. It runs and jumps. Oh, it's so hard to explain. I am looking out a window in our home, upstairs. Down a dirt lane about 20 yards from our house, the goat is running. As it runs, it jumps so high. Jump, run, jump, run. See?"

"I see that you fear it greatly. What do you think this goat will do?"

"I don't know, but I run from my room upstairs and run to the kitchen door and lock it. I am breathing hard. Just as I turn to go lock the living room door, I turn and the big goat is in the house! It's running toward me. I wake up with my heart beating out of my chest. That's how frightened I am."

"I can see that dream would be very disturbing. Who do you think the goat represents?"

"Represents?"

"You don't think you're really afraid of a goat, do you? It must be a representation of someone you do fear. At least, I would think so."

"Well, you know more about it than I do. I just thought of it as a scary goat." She tried to smile at her little joke.

"Why don't you think about it this week. I see it's time to close for today." He stood up and walked her to the door. "See you next week."



"
© Copyright 2008 Iva Lilly Durham (crankee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1429673-Fearsome-Goat-Unfinished