*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1429845-The-Lawn-Mower-Incident
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1429845
Pride takes another hit
The Lawn Mower Incident


I am the housekeeping suoervisor on a camp and conference center. In the summer we have kids camps, family camp, family reunions and so forth. In the winter we close the rustic cabins, but keep the 40 rooms in 3 motel type units open. So I get to live here year round.

Well, just the other day it was time to mow my lawn. My mower constanly needs a tune-up, so I drove my golf cart to my dad's just a couple blocks away to borrow his. He makes sure it is full of gas and ready to go for me. (I'm his favorite).I have a bungee cord that I use to attach the mower to the back of my cart.

Now I want it to be known that I am quite self-sufficient. My two cousins and I are taking down a little cottage by ourselves. (Well, my son did get on the roof to get off the shingles) But we are using the pry bars and hammers and dismantling the rest. I can set a toilet, and I love duct tape. All this to let you know how handy I am.

I was proudly driving down the street with the mower on the back of my cart. I was waving to all I met along the way. I was sure they were amazed at my ingenuity. The mower was fastened so good that I didn't even feel it dragging on the back. Not only was I genius at fastening things, it was evident that I was woman enough to mow the lawn myself. I didn't need a man or hired neighborhood boy to do it for me.

When I pulled into the yard, I jumped off the cart to unfasten the mower. It wasn't there. I had to drive back down to the corner closest to my dad's house to retrieve it. I didn't wave so broadly on the way back, despite the wide grins on all the neighbors faces.

Pride takes another hit.
© Copyright 2008 Daizy May (daizy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1429845-The-Lawn-Mower-Incident