*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1430002-Satisfaction
Rated: ASR · Other · Biographical · #1430002
Part 8 in the series.
A special sig with a special lady.

Many thanks to vivacious for the great header.

Satisfaction

By

The Rolling Stones - 1965.


News reports in 1965 centred on some pretty horrendous and sad events. The atrocious and heartbreaking photographs and stories of the war in Vietnam will never be forgotten by anyone growing up in that era. The death of our renowned Winston Churchill saw the end of a legend and the discovery of the bodies of children buried on the Yorkshire Moors, then the subsequent arrest of Myra Hindley and Ian Brady, the Moors Murderers, shocked the nation to its core.

But amongst all the bad news the wonder and excitement of seeing The Beatles take America by storm was spellbinding. They were now so popular in England it was virtually impossible to see them live and as they toured many other parts of the world, concerts here were few and far between. From humble nightclub singers to international superstars, their story is one history will keep alive for a very long time and one I'm thankful to have witnessed as a teenager.

My friend and I queued for hours to see the first showing of their new film 'Help' in July, then came out the cinema to join the queue for the next performance. I think we did this every day for as long as the film was showing and I could never count up how many times I've watched The Beatles' films. I also got into serious trouble for carving their name on a desk at school. I remember it was quite a masterpiece and how annoying it was to be caught out just as I was working on the final 'S.'

Being in trouble was mostly how I spent my time at school by then. My crimes included wearing nail polish, colouring my hair, not wearing the school beret, talking in class, skipping lessons, smoking in the loo and singing on the staircase. A few detentions for facetiousness made my misdemeanours sound more impressive; none of my family had heard of the word at the time and had to look up in the dictionary.

But I wasn't the only one to go a little astray; times were changing and Grammar School for many just wasn't compatible with the music and social activities of the sixties. My friends and I shared many happy times, visited many different places and sampled many vices and boys during the era. I met a boy named John on holiday and wrote home to Phil to end my relationship with him, although we always stayed close throughout our remaining school life.

John lived about sixty miles away in Leeds, so our relationship consisted mainly of letters I now wish I'd kept, but we did manage to see each other a few times over the next three months. Then as happens, other people came into our lives and we drifted apart, though we did meet again several years later.

The new school term in September 1965 would be the last legal requirement regarding our education and many of my fellow pupils would be leaving the following year after the dreaded G.C.E ordinary level examinations. It also meant new pupils from other schools who had fared well in the exams the year before, would transfer to our Grammar School to continue their education in what was known as the sixth form. That first morning eager fifteen-year-olds gathered at the window of the art room at the top of the building to watch for fresh talent walking into the school.

The girls all noticed him at the same time. Tall and slim with a mop of dark, curly hair far from acceptable by our school's standards, he swaggered through the gates with the air of someone about to take it over and we were all smitten. His look was a distinctly sixties one; a combination of Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger and David Essex. What was more he had the audacity to be wearing a grey sweater; something we knew could possibly give some of the staff heart attacks.

His name was Nigel. Over the next few months he would work his way through several of the love-struck fifth-formers and I would work my way through several of his companions, never for one minute thinking he could possibly be interested in me.

These days our Bonfire Night has extended into a whole season of horrendous fireworks, often irresponsibly used by troublemakers, but back then it was a one night celebration with innocent bonfires, gentler fireworks and traditional food. November 5th 1965 will be forever engraved in my memory. At the time I was going out with Nigel's best friend Dave, who I remember always smelled of carbolic soap and was a bit of a snob. So, when a bonfire party was arranged at a friend's house I decided to go with my best friend and leave Carbolic Dave to his own devices.

Such was the rivalry between The Beatles and The Rolling Stones at the time, it was unwritten law no Beatles fan would go on a date with a follower of The Rolling Stones. That Bonfire Night, the school heart throb Nigel, a big Stones fan himself, weakened my resolve by singling me out at the party. I had little idea as I walked home to my friend's house, wearing Nigel's scarf around my neck and singing The Rolling Stones 'Satisfaction' at the top of my voice, just what a huge impact Nigel was going to have on my life.

** Image ID #1012719 Unavailable **

My best Beatle's crazy friend and myself, early 1965.




© Copyright 2008 Scarlett (scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1430002-Satisfaction