*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1430044-A-test-of-character
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1430044
A boy tests himself entry for daily flash fiction 300 word max

A Test of Character


He placed the postage stamp on the envelope. Enclosed was the handwritten document that would seal the deal. Once mailed, there would be no turning back. Putting on his jacket, he headed for the door. It looked like rain.

Known for his attention to detail, he had been planning this crime for the last several days. This was going to be his test; no, his legacy. It would be an event of such historic proportions that people would talk of it for centuries to come.

The irony was that the crime was not what this was all about. This was about his willingness to confess to what he had done. He needed to do this - to test himself. He must be able to stand up and say "Yes, I am the one. I did it!"

'Soon the world will know' he thought as he watched the carrier ride off with the confession in his bag.

On his way home he spied a neighbor running through a field flying a kite. 'That guy was always up to something' he thought.

"Hey Mr. Franklin! Watcha doin?" he shouted at the man.

"A science experiment of sorts!" the man yelled back.

'Strange' he thought pulling his jacket up around his ears. 'What kind of person would try to fly a kite in the rain?'

Instead of going straight home, he cut over into the family orchard. It was time to do the crime.

Walking over next to the largest tree, he found the ax where he has stashed it the day before. The cherry blossoms made him hesitate for a moment. Such beauty was a terrible thing to destroy.

'I have to do this' he told himself.

With grim determination, little George swung the ax.

Word count 292
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1430044-A-test-of-character