*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1430214-The-Cove
Rated: E · Other · Romance/Love · #1430214
A story of changes and loves.
"You've changed." That was all he said- the only words uttered, and then we were silent.
We stood on the docks, side by side, staring at the water. It was beautiful out here at night- so calm, so peaceful. This cove was ours. It always had been, and I guessed it always would be.
I still remember the first night we snuck out to the coves- I was six, and Chris and my brother were eight. We had thought it was such an adventure. We had stood, right here, staring at the stars, while Chris had told the future. Johnny laughed at him, but that was no surprise. Johnny was a sceptic, through and through. But I was a believer, and I had stared at that boy like he could take me to the moon and back- and I don't believe I have ever stopped staring at him.
We used to sneak out to the dock, and just sit there, making wishes and talking about everything. But then, Chris had stopped coming, and then I realized- he had grown up, and he didn't need me anymore. That hurt, but I got over it. I was eleven then.
We're older now, of course, but the years have passed and Chris can still enchant me. I guess I fell in love with him that night, and I fell pretty darn hard.
The eighteen-year-old boy looked down at me. We just looked at each other. We didn't need to speak- we had never had to. There was always a connection between us. He was the only one who could console me when...But that's another story.
"So, your mum's taken it pretty hard, huh?" We stood, awkwardly, not looking at each other. I wasn't the only thing that had changed.
"Yeah. She's still in shock, I think. He just...died so suddenly." My voice broke, but I held back the sobs. Chris had only seen me cry once before, and that was the hardest time of my life. He didn't come to the cove after that, and I blamed myself. 
"She needs to mourn. And she needs you now, more than ever. I...I don't think we should meet any more." Chris turned to me, and, seeing my expression, hurried on. "Just for now. Until your mum's...started to get over it." He put a hand awkwardly on my shoulder. I shivered, but wouldn't give up that easily.
"Her son died Chris! She's not going to get over it that easily! He was my brother too, you know. How do you think I feel? I need you right now!" I turned away, so he wouldn't see my tears. I couldn't even begin to explain the cold, aching feeling I had had for the five years he had been gone. I had gone into auto-pilot. How would I survive this without him? I needed him.
"I know. I do. It was hard for me too. Lily, did Johnny ever tell you where I went?" He was standing right behind me, and I closed my eyes, drinking in the moment. I didn't answer. "My parents sent me to boarding school. They found out about the cove, and they knew they wouldn't be able to stop me coming." He laughed bitterly. "So they shipped me off to America. But I came back when I heard and..." His voice faltered.
I had had no idea. All this time and he hadn't gone out of choice?
"I... I didn't know." It was a lame excuse, I know, but it was all I could muster.
"S'okay." He mumbled. I turned around. Our bodies were centimetres from each other. I breathed him in.
"I missed you." I whispered.
"I missed you too." He whispered back, and leaned towards me.

© Copyright 2008 sera_bella (sera_bella at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1430214-The-Cove