*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1431613-The-Stars-Had-Shone
by Mel
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #1431613
The act of a relationship growing apart....
The stars had shone so bright upon the ground we walked.  Now the darkness covers the path more every night.  My battery within my flashlight must have been running awful low, for I tripped and stubbed my toe.  The pain hurt so bad as it pierced my very soul.  I heard his voice in the darkness.  "It's just your toe, keep walking" but the pain still persisted and seemed to grow up my leg.  I slapped my flashlight to shine once more.  The dim light sliced the darkness.  I moved the light to shine upon my leg once more.  The darkness would not let my leg go, and crawl upward still.  I yelled across the night. For it seemed I had lost part of myself.  My sight was once again lost as it flickered out.  "Help me!" I screamed but no answer came.  He must have walked on expecting me to follow.  I stopped not knowing which way to go.  Not finding the strength to stand or move.  I wondered if he would come back for me.  Time seemed to fly as I remembered the rope I still held.  He should still be holding the other end.  I pulled and pulled to never feel the tightness that should come.  The end had to be near.  How far would he let me fall behind, before he realized we no longer traveled the same path?  He said he loved me didn't he care how I lost I felt.  I reached the end knowing he must have let go.  I cried.  From behind me the light glowed from the darkness, I turned around to stare.  Now the darkness behind me, I walked forward farther away from him.  Hoping to find the source of such a bright light...  The end is almost always a new beginning...
© Copyright 2008 Mel (meltena at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1431613-The-Stars-Had-Shone