*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1431865-Splendid-Revenge
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1431865
Aria's first letter in the Letters of Intrigue saga
SPLENDID REVENGE
Dear diary,                                                  April 10, 1567
         In spite of having no idea as to where I was, I could not have been in better humor. The reverberation of music and laughter filled the air. Veiled maidens in glorious dresses whirled by as their mysterious masked young men swept them away for the next dance. Among the many veiled dancers I saw an exceedingly tall woman. I at once recognized her through her disguise, as she was the tallest woman there and the only one with the mettle to sport such a costume. I, for my part, was the only person in attendance that night with a more outrageous costume. My dress, as well as my mask, were quite a sight.
         I watched the tall woman for some time, until she seemed to be finished with dancing for a moment. Once the young man she had been dancing with kissed her hand and left, I made my way confidently to where she stood. I accepted the stares of countless hopeful young men and spiteful masked maidens with poise.
          She noticed me right away, but it was obvious she could not recognize me with my mask. However, I knew she would be familiar with my voice. "You declare to love me like a sister," I began casually, "and yet you can't tell me apart from all of these silly, squawking chits? I'm sorry to say this, but I'm disappointed in you, dear." I smiled broadly in hope of receiving some sort of rebuke. None was forthcoming, so I tried again.
         " You look as though you've seen a ghost. Please tell me one isn't behind me at the moment," I wheedled. She simply ogled at me. Before long, she realized she was staring rudely, and apologized.
         By the way she was acting, I knew straight away that something was not right. Her usually vivacious temperament deteriorated, and she began to tremble anxiously.
"You really shouldn't be here," she began in an uneasy tone. "Maybe you should go home." Her eyes would not meet mine, and          I suddenly felt my own bright mood melt away.
"What are you talking about?" I fought to keep my voice under control, and was disgusted to hear how very weak it sounded. She looked at me now, and our eyes met. Then I knew. I knew and was horror-struck.
         "You can't be serious," I murmured in disbelief.
         "I'm so sorry, I would have told you, I swear. He threatened to kill me. You know how he frightens me," her eyes beseeched mine for the mercy she needed. She was right, I did know how she feared him; a devastatingly handsome man with a sadistic cruel streak. No one feared him more than me; he was my twin brother.
         With the weight of my fear, I forgot not to say her name. "Savannah, you have to tell me what he said," I pleaded.
         "You shouldn't have said my name," she whispered, "Now he'll know I'm here." Upon seeing the abject horror of her countenance, my mind began to race. I was struck with an epiphany.
         "That's it!" I murmured fiercely. "That is the beauty of the masquerade ball! Our identities are masked, so to say. No one knows I'm here, save for you. Now, listen to my proposal, and tell me what you think." 
         It took no time at all to find him; giggling maidens, all of them oblivious to his imminent threat, surrounded him. I approached him with poise, Savannah by my side. As I knew he would, he looked up at us in interest. My disguise held true; he recognized neither Savannah or me. With our fans covering our winning smiles, and our eyelashes fluttering, we led him to the King's garden.
         All the while he tried to coerce our names from us. Nevertheless, we did nothing but smile and remain silent.
In the end, as I knew he would, he became infuriated. With little warning, he lashed out. I had calculatedly placed myself next to him, and received the violent blow he aimed at my face. The clout connected with my jaw, snapping my head back.
         Much to his surprise, I reacted in the space of a heartbeat. Out of the hair that was neatly coifed on the top of my head, I pulled out a jewel-studded dagger about the length of my hand. Savannah grabbed him from behind and held him fast. Though he struggled, he found he was no match for her, as she was twice his height and far stronger.
         I advanced on him menacingly, dagger in hand. Abject fear crossed his painfully handsome face as my free hand removed my mask. I smirked sardonically as he stared in disbelief.
         "No," he whispered, going slack in Savannah's grasp. "No, this isn't supposed to happen." All color left his face and he sighed in defeat. "I swear to you, sis," he begged, "That if you let me go, I'll never hurt you again. Just please, please let me go."
         I had heard that pleading, whining tone too many times in my childhood to be fooled by it again. I smiled, "No way, big brother, this is over now. You better say your prayers to the gods, because you are really going to need their help now," I looked away from him and addressed Savannah. "You know the rest," I got into position, "Let him go."
         He drew his own dagger, which was slightly smaller than mine, and we began to circle. "You've made a big mistake, my dear sister. You know that, don't you?" He sneered. "You should have just gone along with it, but that would be expecting too much of you. You never know when to step down, or where your place is. You're a woman, but you never act like one. For the sake of the gods, you're a bloody  assassin!"
          "And you're an arrogant fool!  Besides, I have been granted amnesty by the King; what I do for a living is perfectly legal."
         Then I descended, dispatching him quickly. As a final act of scorn, Savannah and I dumped his body in the fountain of the King's Garden. It wasn't long until the water ran red.
         Our job done and our  lives saved, Savannah and I returned, arm in arm, to the ball. We enjoyed the rest of the night. The next day some unfortunate soul stumbled upon the dead, bloated body of my brother in the fountain. It was happenstance that not a single soul ever heard who had murdered him. It is a mark my soul will bear without penitence. Through our actions that night, Savannah and I saved countless women from the clutches of my sadistic twin. 
                    Good night.
                                                 Love,
                                                                                                                                           Aria de Novae
         


© Copyright 2008 Jessica Loveday (jessi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1431865-Splendid-Revenge