*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1433137-Forever
by Anum
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1433137
Before starting a new life, Saloni was remembering her lost love..
My dearest Saloni,
I will always love you and you will find me around whenever you need me.
Always keep smiling!
With lots of love,
Jay


These words were written on the Valentine's Day greeting card, given to Saloni by her love Jay three years ago, and which now lay on the top of her bed as she read his words again. Her dark brown eyes filled with tears as she stared at it. A single tear managed to escape her eyes and dropped on the card, glistening on the words she had been re-reading. Another warm tear rolled down her cheek as her finger brushed his name: Jay.

"You promised you will always be around, whenever I need you," Saloni addressed the Valentine's Day card, "But where are you now, Jay, when I need you so much?" More tears streamed down from her beautiful eyes. She knew Jay would never come back to her, because he had gone from where no one returns.

Three years back, Saloni and Jay had celebrated their last Valentine's Day together, not aware what fate has planned for them. Just two months had passed when Jay lost his life in a car accident. That was end of Saloni's happiness. She had believed her life ended with his, that she will never be happy again. The only reason she had survived her life after that loss was Akshat.

Akshat was Saloni's childhood friend. He had supported her in the most painful time of her life. He had reminded her she was still alive, and life has to go on. He had wiped her tears, and had reminded her Jay always wished to see her smiling. After nearly three years, on the night before Valentine's day, Akshat had proposed Saloni for marriage. She had said "yes" at that time, because she knew if there was any other guy she could spend her life with, apart from Jay, then it has to be Akshat only.

Now, however, on the morning of Fourteen February, as she lay on her bed, remembering her first love Jay, she did not feel as confident about her decision. Thousands of questions exploded in her mind. Did Jay know about this, wherever he was now? If he did, what would he think about it? Will he hate her for being with another man, or would he want to see her happy? Will he still love her? Was she insulting his memories by agreeing to start a new life with Akshat?

"My questions will never be answered, Jay, because I know you will never come back to me again," Saloni said, as she buried herself in the pillows, several more tears spilling out of her eyes, "You promised to always be there for me, but I know you are not here. You don't even know your Saloni is crying for you. And even if you know, you will hate me when you know I am marrying someone else."

Saloni could not bear to think that Jay will hate her. She really needed him, to answer, to help her what should she do.

She was not sure how long she cried, but at last she raised her head from the pillows. Her eyes were red with crying, but still filled with tears. Tears were making her vision blurry, and as she looked at the window, she was sure what she saw was her imagination. But even as she wiped her eyes, she could still see that clearly. Words had formed on the fogged window, in the same handwriting as in the greeting card.

I will still always love you and you will find me around whenever you need me.
Remember, I want you to always keep smiling!


Saloni read, and re-read the words again and again. She expected them to disappear any time, but she knew they were real. She knew Jay has kept his promise. He was there when she needed him.

The door bell rang, bringing her out of the thoughts. She turned around to look at watch. It was 12 pm, and she knew it was Akshat on the door. He had came there to pick her for their first Valentine's Day date together. She looked back at the window. The words were still there, though they were fading gradually as the more fog settled on the window. But it did not matter any more. She knew Jay was still around her, and will always be with her. She could feel that.

She walked out of her bedroom, down the hallway and opened the front door. A smiling Akshat greeted her with red roses. "Are you ready?" he asked. She nodded and walked out with him. A heavy weight had lifted from her heart. Even though she was going to start a new life, she was never going to forget Jay. He was always going to stay with her, as a part of herself, in memories and her heart.
© Copyright 2008 Anum (storywriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1433137-Forever