*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1433613-Chapter-4-The-Heat-of-the-Moment42009
Rated: XGC · Novel · Adult · #1433613
A new player joins them, a dog named Frost. Jayce meets with his men and his King.
Chapter Four

                          The Heat of the Matter





         It was late morning when Adora awoke, going about her daily chores.  First feeding the animals around the barn, which consisted of an old horse named Lou, a couple of chickens, a few farm cats, and some fish that inhabited a small tank in her living room.  Then she went about straightening the house, trying to keep busy while her vampire guest slept.

         In the afternoon she went to the store for some supplies.  Her first stop was to the hardware store for a new door.  Followed by a stop-off at the butcher shop, for some meat and fresh blood.  By the time she had returned home it was 4pm, which gave her an hour and a half till nightfall.

         It was around 4:30 when a knock came on her door.  There, standing beyond the threshold was Martin.  Welcoming him in, she noticed that he was not alone.  A beautiful albino Malamute, followed behind him.  Her heart raced a little at the side of it.  Unsure if this dog would rat her out by finding Jayce in the guestroom. 

         “Adora meet Frost.”  Martin was introducing them with a smile.  The dog lifted his paw to her, which she took with an uneasy grin.  “Frost is a present from Josh. He wants to make sure you’re well protected.  Frost here’s been trained to guard you well.”

         “I’m sure he was but, umm. . . Just tell Josh I said thanks but I. . .”

         Martin raised a hand, “Oh no.  Josh told me to leave him and this letter of instructions here.”

           Removing an envelope from his inside jacket pocket, Martin tossed it to the table.  “And I’m not to take no for an answer.  Besides, with the recent rise in the vamp population around here you can never be too careful.  Also, I’m leaving town for a couple of days, I’ve got a meeting with some other hunters at the border.”

         “Well,”  she sighed, “ I’m not really a dog person, but I’d only lose this debate if I try to argue.” she conceded, bending down to run her small fingers through Frost’s thick coat.

           “He is very pretty.” she hummed.

         “Don’t let his good looks fool you. He was trained to be very viscous when he senses danger.”

         “Of course he would be, if Josh trained him for me. “Smiling as she stood back up.  “How is Josh?”

         “Very well.  He’ll be flying in at the end of the week.  He can’t wait to see you.  Maybe you two could …  hang out awhile.”

         “Martin,” She shook her head looking into his hopeful expression, “Josh and I are just friends.”

         “I know, but can’t an old man hope that two lonely young people, like your selves, can find love and companionship?”  His voice was sincere.  He had always hoped for her and Josh to be together.  But Adora felt no real romantic feelings for him.  He was handsome, polite, strong, and on occasion a bit Devin ire.  But he was a hunter none-the-less, and she didn’t want to worry about his safety anymore then she already had.

         “Of course you can hope.  But you have to understand that it’s not going to happen.  I just don’t see it working out between us.” She said, patting his shoulder. 

         He let out a sigh, shaking his head. 

         “So, are you planning a raid on the city?”

         “Yeah, maybe.  It all depends on the information the other hunters have for me.  A couple of my men are stationed around town, monitoring the vamp activities.  I’ll keep you posted.  Do you have enough meds for a few days?” 

         “Yes Martin.  I’ve used less today, thanks to your new mixture. I should be good for a week or so.  Don’t worry, I’ll be just fine while you’re gone.” she said reassuringly walking him back to the front door. 

         “I will worry about you because, I care for you.  But I know you’ll be alright.  Plus you have Frost now so … I guess . . . I could relax a bit.”  He smiled a sarcastic smile while hugging her goodbye.  Opening the door he slid a rather large box into the hall, closing the door behind him. 

         Turning to the box Adora reached into her back pocket, removing a small sharp knife from it, using it to open the box.  Inside she found dog supplies.  Food, a bed, a dismantled silver metal cage, a blue leash and collar with her address and Frost’s name engraved upon it.  Bathing supplies, a brush, some toys, and anything else she would need to care for her new companion. 



         By the time she got everything set up, and assembled it was almost dark.  She rearranged her kitchen to make room for some of Frost’s things.  While feeding and watering him, she began to hear footsteps on the basement stairs.

         Her heart began racing again, as her body started to come alive with anticipation, at just the thought of him approaching her.  Hearing his hand touch the doorknob, she watched it beginning to turn.  Her breath became heavy, heart pounding against her chest, as the door started to open.  Frost let out a howl, lunging at the door closing it again quick.  Barking loudly, keeping his front paws against the door. 

         “Adora!?” Jayce spoke loudly over the consistent barking.

         Hurrying over to the kitchen table she fumbled for the letter from Josh.  Opening it swiftly, skimming its pages until finding the word,

         “Halt!" she yelled out.  Frost stopped barking, walked over to her, and sat by her feet.  She reached down to stroke him, grabbing him by the collar before calling to Jayce. 

         “You can come out now!”

         Opening the door gradually, Jayce stood in the doorway.  “What the hell is that doing here?” He sounded a bit hesitant, with a touch of irritation. 

         “Sorry about that. He’s a gift. Jayce meet Frost.”

         Jayce looked down at him. Frost gave a low growl, which Adora silenced quickly.

         “Obviously he’s trained to know a vamp when he sees one.” Jayce said letting out a growl of his own. 

         “Ok you two, no more growling!”  Her eyebrows pulling together into a disappointed frown. 

         “Could you at least put him in another room or something?” Jayce said with disdain, motioning to the dog.

         “Why?  Does he make you nervous Jayce?” she asked teasingly. 

         “No.” Jayce’s said, his voice sounding stern and emotionless, “I’m just not a dog person.  Besides, he and I won’t get along until he realizes that I’m not the enemy.  So for his comfort, I think you should put him elsewhere.” 

         “Ok I’ll put him away, if it’ll make you come out of there.” Giggling as she grabbed Frost by the collar down the hall and into the bathroom. 



         Jayce slowly walked out to the kitchen.  A warm mug of blood sat on the island counter top awaiting him.  He examined the liquid, only to find a small pinch of cinnamon floating on top it.  His eyebrows pulling together in thought.

         “Something wrong?” she asked returning to the kitchen, startling him a little.

         “Ah . . . No, no it’s just umm . . .”

         “The cinnamon?”  she asked walking towards him.

         “Yes,” he sighed, “It’s not that it’s not good, it’s just . . .  I don’t understand why it’s there.”

         “I thought it would give it some flavor.  It must be boring to drink the same thing every day.  But if you prefer I can get you some without it.”  she uttered, reaching for the cup.

         “No.” Jayce said, placing his hand on top of hers. “It’s fine. Thank you, for your hospitality.”

         To her surprise his hand was a little warm.  Not the icy touch she knew and expected.  This, making her blush as she hesitantly pulled her hand away. 

“You are welcome.”  she cooed, walking over to the coffee pot.

         “Oh, By the way,” she remembered while she poured her coffee.  “I stopped at the hardware store today.  I got another door.  And I re-upped on your blood supply.”

         “You didn’t have to do that.”  he answered shocked.

         “Which one shouldn’t I have done?”

         “Well, buying a new door.  I’m the one who broke it.  I should have been the one to pay for it  As for the blood, that wasn’t necessary.” 

         Adora scoffed, “I can buy my own door.  If I’d warned you about my nightmares this wouldn’t have happened.  And as for the blood, I suppose it would have been nicer of me to have starved you?”

         “No. I appreciate the thought but, I’ll be going soon.”  he muttered after a few moments of silence.  She turned around as he was taking a long drink from his cup.  Turning to meet her gaze, he saw the puzzled look on her face, “I have a meeting tonight.  Remember?”

         Nodding her head she took a sip off her own cup.  “Is it about Marnus??”

         “Yes.  It’s important that I find out what he’s up to.”  he responded, taking another long drink from his mug.

         “Need a ride?” 

Her question startled him, causing him to swallow hard.  He pondered her question for a moment.

         It was a long walk, and he wasn’t 100% yet.  On the other hand, he was meeting Dunkin’s men, not to mention the fact that he needed to feed.  Really feed. 

          “Adora,” he finally answered, “I don’t think that would be a good idea.” his voice calm, as he set the cup back on the counter. 

         “Well you walking to town isn’t the best idea either.” she pursed her lips tightly, giving away her concern for his well-being.  To which he found surprising. 

         “No, I suppose it’s not.  But you can’t possibly expect me to bring you to a meeting with a bunch of vampires.  It’s not safe for you, them, or me.”

         “You’re probably right.  Still you can’t just expect me to let you walk there.  So I’ll take you to town and drop you off where ever you want.  I won’t take no for an answer so don’t bother trying.”  her voice, although still angelic, was abrupt and harsh. 

         Jayce was silent for a moment.  She sure was determined, he thought.  “Okay.  We’ll leave here in an hour.  That should give me enough time to fix your door before we leave.”



         Getting into her White Ford pickup truck, they road off towards the city.  The radio played softly in the background.  Some pop tune whining on, as they journeyed down the snow covered country road.  From the dark cloudy sky, small snowflake fell gradually to the earth. 

         For a long time there was silence between them.  Adora concentrated on driving, while Jayce stared aimlessly out the passenger window.  The truck rocked gently back and forth, making Adora sleepy. 

         “So,” she said sweetly trying to keep herself awake. “Will you need me to pick you up or…?”

         “I’m not sure yet.  It all depends on the meeting.”  he interrupted, “I figured you’d want me out of your home.” he said, quietly awaiting her answer.

         “Well,” She finally said, “I figured you’d wanna get out of my house and away from Martin.  But should you need a place to stay or just sleep while you’re in town, you’re welcome to come back anytime.”

         “Thank you.”

          He knew he couldn’t just leave her alone, not with Marnus being so close.  Still he needed to hear her invitation.  Something about her made him want to stay close.  After all she had saved him from the sun, and nearly bleeding to death, and she was keeping him hidden from Martin.  He owed her the same courtesy.  Besides, she could be the key to finding Marnus.

         It took about a half hour to get to the city, and another ten minutes till they drove past the hotel, where Jayce’s text told him to go.  He had her pull into a gas station about a block away to let him out.  As he stepped out she slipped a piece of paper into his hand.  He looked at it, then back to her, raising one dark eyebrow in confusion.

         “It’s my number.  In case you need me … To come pick you up.  Or if you hear anything important about Marnus.”  Speaking quickly as she stared straight ahead, moving a stray lock of hair from her face with a light sweeping light motion of her hand. 

         Giving her a little smile that brightened up his eyes, he nodded to her.  Then he went to close the door when she spoke again,

         “Wait!”  He paused, seeing only concern in her eyes as they meet his. “I thought you might want to know. . .” she stammered, “Martin was going to meet with some other hunters.  He heard about the vamps traveling here.  They’ll be back in a few days, tell your guys to be careful.”

         “What do they know?” Jayce calmly asked, trying to hide the panic slowly rising within him.

         “Not much.  Just that there seems to be an abundance of vamps gathering around here.”

         “Thanks for the heads up doll.”  Closing the door he gave another little smile, flattered by the thought of her concern for him.



         Waiting for her to drive off before entering the series of alleyways, which lead to the back door of the hotel.  Checking first to make sure the coast was clear, he slipped into the kitchen, out the doors and into the booth canceled by darkness.  Here he waited, alone with his thoughts.  Hoping they would have good news for him when they arrived.  These thoughts slowly faded into thoughts of Adora. 



         ‘Can I protect her?  Did Marnus already know where she was?  Maybe I should go back there, or maybe that would be a bad thing.  I could stay outside, in a tent across the street in the tree line.  That could work.  Maybe the shed or the barn would be better, less sun that way.  But then what if I’m found out by Martin?  Could she convince him to release me before he tossed me into the sun?  How long could she keep me hidden from the hunters anyways?  Sooner or later they would find me. The hunters!  They were coming to town and soon.  That means they’d be staying with her in her safe house.  A group of them.  There’d be nowhere to hide then.  Why would she warn me about them coming?  God she’s beautiful, so sweet, and innocent.  If there is a God he made her perfectly.  Every curve molded flawlessly, a prized creation on to the earth.  Such beautiful eyes, heavenly and magical.  A good man could find redemption in them.  She must have been an angel that fell from the clouds and landed here in the outer ring of hell.  Oh god!  I think I’m falling for her. . . .

         “Ah, I see you have taking a shinning to your captor.”  A familiar voice remarked, snapping him back to reality.  Looking up to see Dunkin himself, with four other men standing beside him. 

         “Why would you say that?”  Jayce asked with a knowing smile.

         “You are smiling. We all know you only smile, after you have been laid.”  Billy said following Dunkin toward an empty stairwell, then down the stairs to an empty room. 

         Jayce held up his left hand raising two fingers and the other hand fell against his heart, and with a cocky tone he stated, “Ordinarily, You saps would be right.  But alas, this one I have not yet tasted.  Nor have I ravaged the poor creature. . . Yet!”

         A round of laughter filled the room.  A card table sat in the middle of the dimly lit area.  It was a fairly nice room. The carpet was short and dark in color. Dark mahogany paneling and old pictures hung on the wall.  This place once harbored the hidden class of bootleggers during prohibition.  Now most places like this belonged to the darker class of night beings.  It was no wonder Dunkin chose here to meet.  It was his kind of place.  They usually had hidden rooms and exits.  Some had tunnels making it an easier time to walk around in the daylight.  They lead to the sewers, which lead anywhere you needed to go. 

         “Getting slow at your old age? “  Dunkin questioned with a laugh.

         “No, it’s just a bit different this time.  But soon gentlemen, soon she will be mine.” Jayce jested, making the others snicker again. “Now seriously, what’s going on?”

         Jayce smiled as they all sat down at the table.

         “Well Adderson,” Dunkin’s tone got deep and serious as he spoke and shuffled the cards, dealing them out swiftly.  His brown eyes intensely examined his hand. “Marnus is throwing a party.  A masquerade of all things.  Rumor has it that, a good majority of higher up vampires are being invited, to this social gathering.  It is supposed to be one hell of a good time.” 

         Dunkin throw a couple chips on the table.  His massive hands made the cards look small as he held them.  A thin nose and lips lead to a strong squared jaw, with a dimpled chin.  In appearance he looked thirty with his dark hair parted by three thin strips of gray, long on top and cut short in the back for a new-age style.  Dunkin attempted to get more modern but, old habits die-hard. 

         “So, maybe I should be insulted then.”  Jayce chuckled, folding his arms in mocked offence.  “All the higher ups got invited.  How do I get an invite to this Party of the Century?  I’ll take two cards.”  Jayce laughed to himself at his comment, placing two cards on the table. 

         Dunkin dealt him his cards in return.  Then reaching into his inner jacket pocket he pulled out an envelope, throwing it on the table.  “We already are.”

         “What?”  Jayce couldn’t believe what he was hearing.  Quickly he opened the envelope finding a hand written invitation inside, addressed to him and a guest. “This has got to be a trap.”

         “Of course it is.  My invitation said I could bring as many bodyguards as I like.  So you know he is really up to something now.”  Dunkin set his cards down, pulling out another envelope.  “Marnus also sent this note.  Most of it is just him bragging about his accomplishments, and wishing I would reconsider backing him.  But there was one line that caught my attention.  One line almost out of place here.  It says, Tell Jayce to bring his new girlfriend, if she’s still at her house.”

         “When did that letter arrive?” Jayce demanded.

         “Last night. Adderson, what is it?”

         Jayce’s eyes got huge, standing up he grabbed his coat and started for the door.

         “Adderson, where are you going?”  Dunkin asks rising to his feet along with the others.

         “I’ve gotta get back to her.  He knows where she is now.” Jayce walked out the door, hurrying up the stairs with Dunkin and his men not far behind. 

         “Adderson! I demand to know what is going on.”

         “I need a ride.  I’ll explain on the way if you wanna come, but I’ve got to get back to her. Now.” he looked to Dunkin with desperate eyes and Dunkin took in the severity of Jayce’s anxious words.

         Jayce stood there visible shaken, his hands unsteady, worry running down his face.  The pleading urgency in his eyes, and voice made it obvious to Dunkin that he felt something for this girl.  Hell, he felt something for another person ...Better yet a woman . . . A human woman.

         “Okay Adderson.” throwing his keys to Jayce he added, “You drive but, we are all coming with you.”

         “Lucky for you, I don’t have time to argue.” Jayce mumbled walking to the black four wheel drive Jeep, getting into the driver’s seat. 

         Dunkin ordered the other’s to follow, then slipping into the passenger seat, just as Jayce sped off.





                   *                    *                    *                    *





         The snow fell harder. The wind began to blow fiercely whipping across the road, creating little white vortexes every few minutes.  It was almost impossible to see, but still Jayce drove on.  A misty fog hung in the air canceling anything that was left to see.  But Jayce paid no attention.  Imagining the worst, he drove faster.

         “Tell me my old friend, is she worth Dying for?”  Dunkin inquired, breaking the lingering, frustrated silence between them.  Without any expression in his voice, or on his face, he gazed into the snowy night with a hypnotic stare. 

         “Dying for?” Jayce’s voice was surprised and almost smug.  “I think we’ve faced more dangerous situations before.  It’s just snow.”

         “Yes, it is.” Dunkin said in a disapproving tone.  “But before you get us into an accident with a tree, which we could either get staked or possibly decapitated by any of the numerous scenarios, one could experience in a car accident, I would like to know why.”  Dunkin’s voice still unemotional but, cutting to the quick.  “You obviously have feelings for this mortal, but it’s unlike you to act so impulsively.”

         “What are you getting at?”

         “You know what I’m asking, Adderson.  We have time. So tell me, why are you rushing to this girl?”  Knowing that Jayce would be reluctant to answer, Dunkin prepared himself to coax it out of him. 

         But Jayce knowing Dunkin understood that his King wouldn’t give up until he explained it.  Keeping his focus on the road, he said with little hesitation, “The dame saved my life.  Lenard was being, difficult.  I chased him all night.  By the time I caught up to him morning was approaching, and fast.  We had a scuffle and that lucky son of a bitch, slashed my throat open with a boot knife.  As I knelt there bleeding out, watching the sun come up, I was convinced I was dead.  Done for.  But then out of nowhere, just as the sun touch Lenard setting him on fire, there she was.  She covered me up with a blanket and helped me into her shed.  She fed me and gave me a place to recover.  I owe her for that.”

         “She fed you?”

         “Yeah, animal blood. Nasty stuff.”  A smile crept across his lips while the memories slid back into his mind. 

         “So she knows what we are?” Dunkin asked slowly emphasizing each word, fading the smile on Jayce’s face “What are we saving her from Jayce?”

         “Yes she knows what we are.  That’s only because she was one of Marnus’ girls.”

         Dunkin let out a gasp, then with great concern her blurted out, “She is the one who got away?  The one that Martin found and hid?  He has never stopped looking for her, and yet you just stumbled into her life.  What are the odds?  Marnus’ two refugees finding each other while looking for him.  How, Romantic.”  A good-natured laugh escaped Dunkin’s thin lips.  Being from the renaissance era, he was flamboyantly, a hopeless romantic.

         “Yeah, very funny.  I’m starting to wonder about our ‘accidental’ meeting.”  Jayce said giving the car more gas, increasing his speed.  “Regardless, he knows I’ve found her.  This means he knows where she is, and now that she’s alone…” Jayce refused to finish his sentence.  Let alone the thought of the punishments his ‘angel’ could be enduring.

         “You are really smitten by this girl aren’t you?”

         “No.” Jayce snapped, “I’m just … Grateful.”

A devilish smile crossed over Dunkin’s face, he taunted Jayce with, “Really?  How grateful are you... Hmm?”

         “Dunkin this is serious!  She could be in real trouble!”  Jayce growled throwing the Jeep into 4-wheel drive, pressing hard on the accelerator.

         “Jesus Adderson!  Slow Down!  We’re no good to her actually dead!”  Dunkin lost his composure and let out a yell as the jeep fishtailed. 

         Jayce gain control instantly and without skipping a beat he asserted, “We’re no good to her if Marnus gets to her first either!”

         “Don’t be so dramatic!  I’m sure she’s just fine.”  Dunkin sounded snippy, adjusting himself in the seat.

         “But we don’t know if she is.  I can’t let anything happen to her.”

         “And you shan’t, as long as we make it there in one piece.” his voice now condescending as he eyed Jayce. 

         “Pipe down. Quit complaining!” Jayce snarled, “You didn’t have to come.”

         “But I did.”

         “Yeah well, who asked ya too?!”  Jayce spoke brusquely.

         Dunkin was taken aback.  “Who do you think you are, speaking to me like that?  I am still your king!”

         “Right now, you’re my friend! So, dry up already!” Jayce grumbled without thinking.

         “What is wrong with you?  I could have you burned for this.”

         Jayce shook his head, trying to clear it. “Sorry.” he mumbled. “I’m just anxious to get there.  I forgot myself.”

         “You are in Love with her.”  Dunkin mused.

         “No. That’s not it.”

         “Yes it is.  It is only for the ones we love that we are so willing to burn for.  And you have come pretty close to that already tonight.”

         “Wait till you meet her.” Jayce insisted teasingly, “You’d give up your life for hers too.”

         “Not my cup of tea, love.”





         Arriving at the house to find the door open partially, blowing back and forth in time with the wind.  Jayce threw the Jeep in park, faster than light he was running to the door.  Inside he found Adora.  Lying on the floor in front of the kitchen doorway.  Pausing in the hallway, he took a deep sniff of the air.  Frozen, he listened for any unusual sounds.  But the only thing he heard was Frost digging at the bathroom door trying to free himself.  Then another sound filtered through his ears.  Adora’s heartbeat, was slow and fading.

Rushing to her side, he rolled her over carefully.  Her eyes struggled to focus and stay open.  Her breathe shallow, skin cold to the touch.  Jayce feared the worst, until she whispered,

“Jayce?”

         “Yes.”

         “I need . . .  My… medicine.  Black box … Fridge . . . Hurry.” She murmured to him, lying on the floor desperately trying to remain awake.  Jayce got up, hurrying to the kitchen.

         Opening the fridge, he retrieved the black case he’d seen Martin give her.  Moving quickly back to her side, just in time to see Dunkin and the others cross the threshold, shutting the door behind them.  Jayce focused his attention back on the bag.  Fumbling to open it, he tried to keep Adora conscious.  Taking out a syringe and a small vile with the dark mysterious fluid.  Placing his hand on her cheek, he looked deep into her eyes,

         “Adora, how much?”  he begged, watching her struggling to respond.  “Come on doll.  Please, I need to know, how much?”

         Within the exhale of breath she managed to release one word, “Half.”

         Jayce sighed in relief, “Good girl.” 

         He repeated this over and over again trying to keep her awake, as he filled the syringe to the half way mark.  Getting the air bubbles out, he pushed her sleeve up to find a vein.  To his horror he could see how bad her track marks were.  The forearm was littered with punctures and bruises.  He didn’t have time to hesitate.  Finding a vein he cautiously released the fluid into her system. 

         Picking her up, he carried her to the couch in the living room.  He sat down, placing her on his lap.  He covered her with a blanket, rubbing his hands against her body, in an attempt to get her circulation, and body temperature up. 

         “Stay with me Adora.” he whispered softly to her.  “Look at my baby.  Look at me.”  Obvious concern filled his voice.  The others moved slowly into the room, silent and confused by the scene.  Dunkin knelt beside him.

         “Is there anything we can do?”

         “Umm, she’ll need something warm to drink.  Some tea would be good.  And the fire needs to be lit.” Jayce stammered unable to look away from her.

         Dunkin motioned to his men and they went off to their duties.  One of the men brought the vials over to Dunkin, whispering something to him before he left to help the others.  Dunkin wondered why this woman was so important to Jayce.  Never before, in all the time he’d known him, he had never seen him display this kind of emotion.  Sure he’d shown compassion to others before, especially humans.  But this was very unusual.  Jayce was in love with this one, and didn’t even know it.

         The fire was stoked well and burning nice and hot by the time the others had finished up.  Silence still enveloping the room.  The only sound left was the crackling of the fire and Jayce’s soft whisper, “Don’t leave me.”





© Copyright 2008 Melinda Carr (sweet_melinda at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1433613-Chapter-4-The-Heat-of-the-Moment42009