*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1434707-Ellie
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1434707
this is already in the story at the beginning
Background: These series of books are placed in the early 1800's.  All of this is set in England.  Ellie is the daughter of two loving parents and two wonderful sisters.  She has incomparable stamina and character.  Wealth is not something that the family takes for granted.  Instead, faith in God is needed to make ends meet.  Surprisingly, through all that Ellie goes through throughout the series of stories, her faith is ever stronger and desirable. 

"Da da da da da da da da da" the notes to Fur Elise from Beethoven flowed swiftly through Ellie's hands.
         "Ellie", her mother yelled from across the two story, 1800 built, Victorian house, "Stop playing that music.  I am getting an awful headache!"
"Yes, Mama, I will stop.  Do you need any help with the dinner for tonight?" she inquired.
"Yes, I do. Thank you darling."
Ellie was a beautiful girl, the age of eighteen.  She loved reading stories and writing them as well.  She had a gentle spirit and a love for life.  Most of her days were spent outside alone with the trees and sunlight to guide her path, or prancing along the bank of the river that flowed behind the house, or even writing songs in the small alcove in her bedroom. Her passion showed in her beautiful white smile.  Her blue irises glowed in the sunlight.  Her child-like faith warmed everyone's spirits.  She was a treasure that someone would later be able to hold.
Ellie was content with who she was and where she was in her walk of life, but this would soon change.

"Mother, I am going to go out to feed the horses.  I will be in come dinner time."
"Okay, dear, mind yourself.  You should spend a little bit more time finding a beau then trying to find a horse in order to feed him."
Ellie stood silent and quickly escaped out of the open doorway.  Was her mother right?  Was she the only girl her age who had not yet been courted?  All of the sudden, a feeling of sadness dripped through her soul.  She knew that she should not think of such things, yet her mother was right.  She should have at least been interested in courting.
As Ellie fed her favorite horse, Star, she thought.  Deeply she reviewed the words over and over again.  She turned them over and tried to figure out what she should do.  Star gave her a nudge to signal that he needed no more oats.  Ellie quickly realized that she had been unaware of what she was doing and had dumped the whole of the oats in Star's trough.  What would mother think?
That night, Ellie tossed and turned.  Not a wink could she bear to sleep.  The next evening was scheduled to be a church picnic by the small schoolhouse.  She fretted the ridicule that might accompany her while at the party.  She was a young woman with no beau, and was considered most likely, in her eyes, a social outcast.  She didn't quite enjoy social occasions, she always felt awkward.  She would much rather be out in the garden, or on the front porch writing or singing. 
Ellie spent a lot of unnecessary time pinning her golden locks upon her head, and desperately tried to find the most becoming dress she owned for the picnic.  She finally came across a beautiful sage green dress with light pink roses on it.  It had an umpire waist and fit her frame wonderfully. She decided it would be perfect for the occasion.  Ellie slipped the dress over her beautifully done hair, and lightly walked down the staircase.  Each step carefully taken in order for her posture not to be strained.  Her mother and father were waiting at the bottom of the stairs.  Along with them were her sisters, Anne, the eldest, and her youngest sister, Meg.  Both of whom wore light colored spring dresses that were quite nice.  Ellie still thought inwardly that hers was the most elegant.  Her father was only able to be home during the afternoon on certain days such as the weekends.  He was also home late at night, after all of the family was already in bed.  His job allowed him little time to spend with family.  He was a lawyer one town away.  Her mother however was a great person to have around and Ellie and she were quite close.
         The whole family arrived at the party promptly and were greeted by some elders from the church.  As soon as anyone caught a glimpse of Ellie, they could do nothing else than go up and talk with her.  One particular suitor named Frederick came up to Ellie and stated with great boldness and enthusiasm, "You look quite elegant this fine day, Miss Charter."
Ellie quickly blushed, said a quick, yet honest, "Thank you very much."  She rushed past him to go and sit with her family quite embarrassed over the rather rash and interesting encounter.  Were all young men nowadays so outspoken? Ellie thought it over again and again until she finally was convinced that yes, all men were, which meant, no man would be right for her.  She would just have to be satisfied with being an old maid.
Ellie and her family left the picnic immediately after to avoid making small talk.  On the way home Ellie tried so desperately to sort out her thoughts.  Was she making the correct inferences?  She did not know.  Nor did she know how to act around other men.  She over analyzed everything.  She pondered if it was right of her to curtsy in front of a man she didn't know.  It was definitely polite, but what if they got the wrong idea?  Her thoughts were left unsettled as she gently stepped out of the carriage led by her father's hand. 
After the other family members retired, she felt it necessary that she somehow found a way to escape for a short while.  She wanted to get away from everything and everyone.  She tiptoed across the wooden floors and slipped out of the door, gently closing it behind her.  Ellie strolled through the garden, to the back yard, past the fences, the horses, and all the way to the pond in the very back of the yard, nearly approaching the neighbors.  There she saw a strange yet stunning silhouette in the darkness.  At first the shadow frightened her.  She jumped back a little, her heart pounding.  A soft, harmonic voice called out to her in the thick fog.  It spoke words of love and comfort, "Sorry, I did not intend to bother you.  I was just enjoying the crisp cool air and consequently happened upon a nice young woman.  What are you doing out here at such an hour anyways?"
Ellie's heart skipped a few beats, and she froze.  "I...I....I mean, I, I, just had to get away that is all," she stammered.
"Trying to get away from what?" the kind voice spoke with no regrets.  The mysterious shadow moved in closer.
"Well, from life, I guess.  To get away from all of the expectations.  From all of the silliness.  How can they expect me to find my love in one night?" Ellie immediately realized she should not have spoken so quickly.
"Find love in one night?  My, what do you mean?" The kind man queried.
"My mother wanted me to find my true love at a picnic this afternoon.  All I left with was an indecisive mind and a troubled heart.  I am sorry though, I should not have spoken so soon.  I should have kept to myself." Ellie blinked in disbelief at how at ease she was talking to this man.
"Those are quite high expectations your mother holds.  Please, do not be sorry, I am very thankful you did. Shall we go sit on the bench and talk some more Miss...Miss....?
"Miss Charter," Ellie interrupted.
© Copyright 2008 Emily Jane Kingsley (theenthusist at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1434707-Ellie