*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1435362-Watching--Waiting
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1435362
An expectant mother watches what is while dreaming of what will be.
This was my June 1 - Water entry for the 15 for 15 Contest where we write based on a picture prompt. Go to "Invalid Item to see the picture that prompted this story.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I walked in the front door to report that the front flower beds were all weeded, but was surprised to see my wife was not where I had left her. Only the novel she had been reading remained where I had left her. A youthful giggle sounded from the direction of the rear of the house. The curtains blowing in the breeze of the open door revealed where she was and I smiled knowing what had pulled her away. Silently, I stepped through to see her leaning on her forearms against the deck railing, looking down into the neighbors backyard.

Little Suzie, our precocious neighbor and friend, was playing enthusiastically in the sprinkler just over the fence while her mother worked in their small garden nearby where she could keep an eye on her daughter. I think that my wife adored me only above that little ray of sunshine (and at times I questioned whether I rated that high on her list).

A gust of wind blew my wife's sundress tight against her body, clearly showing the new life growing within her that was due to make her debut any day now. Five years of aching, praying, trying and waiting had finally brought us that which we desired more than anything else. We were finally going to parents!

My wife jumped a little when I silently sidled up next to her and wrapped my arm around her waist. She smiled at me briefly before returning to her silent vigil. "She's beautiful," she stated after a few moments of watching.

"Yes, she is," I replied placing my hand over her stomach.
© Copyright 2008 NiceGuy (nesnejan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1435362-Watching--Waiting