*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1435829-Emme
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Ashlen
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1435829
A simple story of passion, adventure, and struggle.
Emme’s pale hand trailed lazily over the delicate flowers as she walked down the worn path. The garden twisted and turned, paths led in multiple directions, and vines stretched across the bushes and trees lining the paths. Emme just drifted along, not paying any attention to the direction she was headed. The air was cool and her wavy, long auburn hair danced around her face, naturally beautiful and free of makeup. She gently plucked a daisy from a nearby bush and put it above her ear. Soft winds began to whisper and the skirts of her wispy white dress danced around her bare feet. She lifted her head and listened. Her jade green eyes scanned the fast approaching clouds and she knew it was time to make her escape from the garden. Her tiny feet danced around the gnarled roots crossing the dirt path & she carefully picked the paths leading home. “Home, what a relative idea.” she thought, “What if one has no home? No true home.” The thought was lost however as tiny raindrops began to litter her softly freckled skin. Emme’s eyes searched the horizon again and a smile briefly lit up her face as she saw the shingles of her home just over the tops of the highest trees.

“Emme!” her brother screamed as he crawled up the side of her bed and threw himself into her arms. “Shhh. Damien, I’m here.” she whispered and cradled him in her arms. Tears streaked down his cheeks and his sobs muffled against the lace on her gown. She rocked him back & forth and began to sing softly. Gradually his sobs turned into sniffles and his eyes shut. Lifting him, she carried him back to his bed & brushed the dark brown hair out of his face. She kissed Damien’s forehead and slipped out of his room. Her fingers trailed the banister as she sleepily walked towards her bedroom. “Silly nightmares. Leave my darling brother alone.” she whispered.

Emme’s fingers entwined itself in her wavy auburn hair and gazed out the frosted window. Her small cottage was located on the far outskirts of town, buried deep within the woods. When she was small, barely 9, and her brother was only an infant, the town became convinced her mother was a witch and burned down their home when the family was asleep. Emme happened to awake and, clutching her baby brother to her arms, emerged unharmed from the fire. At 9 she watched her home, mother, and father go up in smoke. She watched everything she had ever known fall apart. The townspeople shunned the children and Emme took it upon herself to turn an abandoned cottage into a home and raise her small brother. That was almost a decade ago and Emme’s heart no longer ached when the fireplace crackled or she saw small children holding their parent’s hands. She no longer craved the life she was once destined to live. She set herself to one goal, raising Damien.

“Emme?” Damien called out tentatively and her eyelids fluttered. She had fallen asleep at the windowsill. “Yes Damien?” she asked. “It’s time for my studies.” he said. Emme smiled and grabbed the child’s hand. “That it is. Come on.” She guided him up down the hall and into their small library. Emme ran a very tight ship and everything was in it’s proper place, if a bit dusty. She pulled down the few books lacking a thin layer of dust and passed them to Damien. She guided him to the small wooden desk in the corner of the room and sat with him, as she did every day, teaching him how to read and write. She wouldn’t dare let her brother go uneducated.

Years ago, Emme had planted a garden. Over the years it had grown from a few pea plants and onion sprouts too an impressive size, almost the size of the cottage. It was filled with carrots, potatoes, lettuce, beans, corn, onion, spinach, and a few types of berries. Emme was thoroughly against violence to any of God’s creatures and didn’t allow her brother to hunt. They lived off of what Emme grew and lived quite luxuriously at that. She also raised one cow which supplied their milk and butter, and one chicken for their eggs. Their water was supplied from a nearby brook. Damien spent his free time connecting with nature. Like any other boy, he was curious and spirited. He loved to climb the highest trees, swim in the brook, skip stones, create forts in the hollowed out trunks of long dead trees, and more. But his true passion was animals. He would bring home animals of all sorts in his pockets and beg Emme to keep them. At times she would consent but the animal would die within a few days, after Damien found something else that held his interest. The only long term pet they had was a golden retriever named Hailey. She was a true companion and protector . Her bark alerted them to the comings and goings of everything within a 3 mile radius. She was also the only one Emme could confide in when she felt alone.

Damien’s 11th birthday arrived in May and Emme decided to throw a small party for the two of them. She baked a cake and topped it with sweet butter and raspberries. She sewed Damien some new clothing and crafted a small toy soldier out of wood. She dressed the soldier in a uniform she sewed and carefully wrapped the presents in a cloth bag. The morning of Damien’s birthday she woke him up with a kiss on his forehead and sent him out to play nearby while she prepared his favorite meal, a vegetable filled pie. As it was baking in the oven and the cake was cooling she heard a sharp bark and a moment later Damien rushed in the house, out of breath and panting he said, “I found…a man…a man not from town…he’s..he’s lost!…a friend!....Emme come on!” Emme quickly undid her apron and allowed Damien to pull her outside. Hailey stood on the edge of the clearing their cottage sat on, alternating from sharp barks to deep throaty growls. Damien rushed into the thick of the wood and a moment later emerged, followed by a stunningly attractive man. His features were almost god-like. Deep chocolate hair decorated his head and a few strands swept across his baby blue eyes. His pouted lips were stretched in a wide grin. He took long strides across the clearing, the bag on his shoulder bouncing as he walked, and as he approached a stunned Emme stuttered, “H-hello.” The man took her hand in his strong grasp and shook it. “How do you do? My name is Harper. And yours?” “Emme.” she said and relaxed. His demeanor was friendly and non-threatening. Even Hailey had calmed and had taken to smelling his shoes with great interest. “I hear your lost?” she asked and his eyes darkened. “You could say that. My father sent me to live with my uncle in Carmel. I seem to have lost my way there, but I’m not in much of a hurry. If you would be as kind as to point me the way, I’d like to take the longest route possible.” He winked at her and it took everything in Emme not to faint on the spot. She took a minute to consider the situation. It was incredibly rare they saw someone not from Carmel and this was the first occasion it was someone she truly liked. Her mind was made. “We’re actually having a sort of celebration today. It’s my younger brother’s, Damien, birthday today and I made more food than we can eat ourselves. Your welcome to stay for dinner.” Harper looked her in her deep green eyes and said “That sounds wonderful.”

“You made me pie! And cake too! Oh Emme!” Damien exclaimed and grabbed her in the tightest hug he could muster. His small face glittered in delight and he bounced around the room. “You have presents too.” she smiled and he squealed, “This is great!”. Harper stood on the side of the room observing the boy’s happiness and his sister’s pure pleasure from making him smile. After the food was eaten and the presents from Emme were opened the trio sat in the living room on the fluffy couch and Harper spoke, “I have a present for you too, little one.” Damien’s eyes widened and Emme looked at him shocked. “You don’t have to do that.” she said and Harper laughed. “I want too!” He reached in his sack and after rummaging around for a moment, pulled out a worn slingshot. Damien screamed in delight and yanked it out of Harper’s hands, and enveloped him in a hug. “You may not touch any living thing, including me, with that. Understood? Not a bird, squirrel, nothing that breathes.” Emme told him sternly. Damien nodded and bounded out the door to play with his new toy. “Thank you.” she nodded thankfully and Harper took her hand in his. “It was my pleasure. You do so much for him, I can see how much you love him. I’m glad I could make him happy.” Her eyes teared up and he whispered, “Tell me your story.” She tightened her grasp on his fingers and she did.
****************************************************************************************************
The sky was a mix of pastels when her story was completed and Harper held her hand tightly, gazing sympathetically into her eyes. He brushed her soft auburn hair out of her face and grazed her cheek with his fingertips. “I’m sorry Emme. Life gave you the worst end of things and you turned it around. Your someone to truly admire.” Her cheeks flushed a deep crimson and her eyes traveled to her lap. “Thank you.” she whispered. At that moment the door slammed and Damien bounded into the room holding the wooden slingshot. Immediately their hands separated and Damien spoke. “Emme, it’s almost dark.” he said and she looked up, shocked. “Oh goodness. Your going to have to stay till morning.” she nodded towards Harper and he shrugged. “I don’t mind. I’d rather never go to Carmel.” “I’m sorry my story took so long. I must have bored you.” she stood up flustered and began nervously straightening the few things decorating the room. “Of course you didn’t. It’s really fine.” he said and she blushed again. “I’m being silly aren’t I?” Harper chuckled and nodded. “Well, I’ll set you up a bed on the couch. Is that alright?” Harper nodded again and Emme left the room to gather blankets she had on hand for winter and their few extra pillows.

Emme’s eyelids fluttered open as the sun broke through the lacy curtains on her bedroom window. The house smelled of frying eggs and a certain herb she couldn’t place. She quickly dressed and walked towards the cozy kitchen. She stopped near the stooped doorway to and heard laughing. The high pitched laugh of a child and the deep throaty laugh of a man clashed in beautiful harmony. Her heart fluttered and she walked into the room. “Emme!” both boys shouted at the same times and laughs erupted from all three. She look around, surprised to see eggs frying and tea simmering in a pot on the stove. “Oh, you made breakfast.” she said and sat down. “Thank you.” she said. Harper turned to her and said, “Breakfast in return for free lodging. I think it’s a fair deal.” A smile danced across her face and Damien crawled onto her lap. “Emme can he stay here forever? Please?” Emme bit her lip. It was as if he was reading her mind. Harper set the pan he was holding down and looked at the brother and sister. “I was wondering, if I could possibly stay for awhile. I would be happy to sleep on the couch and cook your meals. You could use a man to help with some of the odd jobs. It would only be for a bit, so I have time to avoid traveling to my Uncles and have time to plan what I‘m truly going to do..” Emme’s heart lit up with joy and she controlled the urge to scream in delight. “Of course Harper. It would be our pleasure. Stay as long as you like.”

May turned to June and the air became hot and humid. Damien spent more days in the brook, Emme in the garden, and Harper busied himself with improving the house which had been allowed to deteriorate a bit due to lack of knowledge and time. He helped with farm work and taught Damien many new species of birds and how to identify them. Damien fell in love with Harper and wanted to be just like him. One afternoon Damien was off in the wood doing something or another and Harper found Emme tending the lettuce in her expansive garden. “Emme, will you take a walk with me?” he asked her and she looked up at him quizzically. “Sure.” She stood up and they walked hand in hand down one of the worn paths winding throughout the forest. As they walked the sun glittered off their faces and they didn’t speak. They both were lost in thought, separate but together. After awhile Emme stopped and turned toward him. “Tell me your story.” she said.

“I was born in a town called Victoria. I was an only child and raised on a large farm with my mother and father. I lived a pleasant childhood but always craved a sibling. My mother became pregnant over a year ago but the child died in childbirth. After losing the baby, my mother went into a deep depression and secluded herself from the family. Soon after, she hung herself in our parlor and my father found her body when he came home one evening. I look almost exactly like my mother and that was too much for my father, seeing her in me every day. He grew sick of it, and it hurt him too much. He sent me off to live with my uncle, which is how I found you. My uncle is a very tough man who expects the world to bow at his feet. He demands I become a soldier if I lodge with him. That’s not my dream. I crave a family, children, a wife. He won’t let me have my dream and that’s why I can’t go live with him. Not yet anyway.”

Butterflies danced in Emme’s stomach and she was overcome by love, which gave her a certain boldness. She whirled towards Harper, grabbed his beautiful face in her porcelain hands, and kissed him softly. The wind played with her long auburn hair and his hands danced across her back as their passion flared. Their lips broke apart and Harper held her close whispering, “I love you.” over and over into her ear. Emme’s eyes filled with tears of joy and she held him tightly . “I…I love you too.” she stuttered. Surprised at herself and surprised at the truth of the words she uttered, she stepped back out of Harper’s grasp. He flashed a boyish grin at her and the butterflies began their dancing once more.
****************************************************************************************************
Damien was climbing the old oak he had climbed his entire life. It was easily one of the tallest trees in the forest, but Damien had yet to find one he couldn’t concur. From the highest branches he could see the forest stretching in all directions, and the outline of Carmel in the distance. The few times he had managed to sneak out here at night, the town was merely a sprinkle of twinkling lights, seemingly as distant as the stars. On this particular afternoon, however, Damien was tired. As he neared the highest branches he lost his footing and fell at least 40 feet to the unforgiving dirt, hitting sharp branches on his way down. The child lay there in excruciating pain, unable to move, in too much pain to yell for help. All he could do is lay under the canopy of trees and moan.

The sun was painting it’s pastels as the evening approached and Damien still wasn’t home. “Harper. Have you seen him?” Emme asked and looked out the window for the 3rd time that minute. “No. He told me he would be back for dinner.” Emme bit her lip and began pacing. “What if something happened? We can’t go out in the wood after dark. Let’s go look now. Please?” she said. Harper nodded in agreement and grabbed a lamp and matches. The duo headed into the forest alternating screaming Damien’s name. All that returned was their echos.

Night had come and all traces of the sun had disappeared from the sky. The light cast from the lamp was faint and the bushes around them rustled. Emme’s eyes were full of tears and her voice cracked as she continued to scream her baby brother’s name into the unyielding darkness. Harpers arms ached from the weight of the lamp and his eyes hurt from straining to see into the dark. The chance of finding Damien before morning was growing slimmer every minute but he wouldn’t dare mention that to Emme. Suddenly a soft noise echoed from directly in front of them and Emme ran forward, out of the glow of the lamp, screaming. Harper followed behind quickly and the light began to reveal a gruesome sight. The small boy’s body lay twisted and mangled, branches protruding from odd spots and blood caked around his arms and legs. A bone was protruding from near his elbow, and he was completely unconscious, though breathing. Emme grasped his tiny hand and tears ran down her face. “Help him Harper. Please.” He handed her the lamp and carefully picked up the boy, cradling him in his arms.

They made their way back to the cottage quickly and layed Damien out on the couch. “Go to town. Find a medicine man quickly and bring him back here,” Emme ordered, “The town hates me. Your going to have to do it.” With a nod, Harper left immediately and Emme set herself to work, washing off the dried blood and singing lullabies softly into Damien’s ear. Soon Harper arrived with a gnarled old man in tow. The man held a worn leather bag that tinkled as he walked, filled with herbal remedies, first aid, and more. He set himself to work and Harper held Emme’s hand as they watched. Damien awoke half way through the process and screamed in agony when the bones were set and cast. He yelled and cried and fought when the oils were applied to his wounds and moaned and whimpered in pain when they were dressed. The medicine man felt pity, and sprinkled a lavender like herb around his head, sending him into a deep sleep. Emme’s heart broke over and over as she watched her darling brother cry, but her pain was mingled with relief. He was awake, he was alive, he was going to be okay.

© Copyright 2008 Ashlen (fatallyashley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1435829-Emme