*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1437469-Extract-from-my-book---The-Dark-Times
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1437469
Hey everyone this is my first piece on the site. It's just something I whipped together.
The story begins right here, on the edge of the woodlands. People usually do not venture to this part of the small kingdom. Most who do seek it for solitude and peace, to find them and evaluate the path that they are attempting to follow. The silence that you
find here calms your soul and helps you breathe and think. Let you see who you are and what you have become during this evil period we are going through. Reflecting on your past may slow you down and distract you from your current goals but what you might find in those memories will help you see what really matters and who you really are. Some who have the gift of magical power come here to practice and hone there abilities. That is exactly what Shiren came here to do. Under the tutelage of Lord Nimrol, Shiren was becoming the first of his family to ever have mastered the magic in about three generations.

“Come now Shiren. You must concentrate!” exclaimed Lord Nimrol
“I know my lord, I know!”
“Let us try one more time then, and remember to concentrate.” said Nimrol gently.

He then looked at Shiren and cried, “Sisalathei”
All of a sudden there was a loud cracking sound. A large purple orb had materialized out of Nimrol’s hands and began to swell at a rapid rate! Shiren breathed in deeply and prepared himself for what he was about to do. Then he looked up. His eyes flew open as he pointed a strange object in his hand at the purple orb. Inside him there was a strange flame that begged him to release it. And so he did. Suddenly the air turned dark. The glistening orb that the wizard had conjured was about to explode.  Shiren was too quick for it. Mustering up all his strength he pointed the stick-like object in his hand and allowed the power within him to travel towards the orb. Shiren was blown back as the magic was unleashed. Blue light seared through the orb, allowing the explosion of it to come a lot quicker. Silver liquid erupted out of the orb and rushed towards the young Shiren. As it was about to reach him he threw out a wall of green flame. The magical liquid hit the flames with an extraordinary force that Shiren had never seen. In his shock he dropped the object from his hand. The flames were being forced back by the strange substance and getting perilously close to the young one. He didn’t have time to recover the stick-like object. Using his hands he transferred his magic into the flames. Black smoke began to surround the battle between the two magic’s and consume them both. He then threw his hands out towards the sky and closed his eyes. The swirling ball of power rushed at Shiren. Instead of harming him he allowed it to pass into him. Then opening his eyes, he looked at the man in front of him and summoned the raw power that had settled itself inside his body to his finger tips. Engulfed in smoke, Shiren hurled the swirling magic at Nimrol. The lord was stunned at the power of one so young yet he had to act.

The light from the magic had now revealed what the two looked like. Nimrol was a tall man. Long brown hair came up to his shoulders and some in his face. With a neatly cut beard, he looked every part of a lord. A long black cloak was the easiest way to recognize him. Shiren was short for his age. Fair black hair and sparkling hazel eyes was his charm.

Nimrol threw back his cloak and revealed a staff of some sort. He grabbed it and swung it in a powerful arc, immersing himself in a shield of magic. As the ball of power struck him, he threw the magic around him toward it. The bright white light that had surrounded the lord now enveloped the magic and stopped it in its mad rush to him. With a swift motion of his staff, he flung the light into the sky. The gleaming magic struck the canopy of trees above them. Exploding with a ferocious force, it blew up in a shower of sparks, temporarily blinding both Shiren and Nimrol. Shiren was the first of the two to come to his senses. Gesturing his hands in a circular motion, he summoned the power of the wind and created a tornado that tore through the earth towards Nimrol. Picking up the leaves and twigs that had fallen due to the explosion, it formed a whirlwind that would perfectly be named as “Natures Wrath”. As it approached the lord, Shiren thrust out his arm and produced a magnificent gray light that engulfed the whirlwind. Now the spinning wrath of nature had become a vortex of pure power. Nimrol finally came round and saw the great swirling beast that was moving rapidly  toward him. He now realized how much danger he was in and he had to act quickly. At the very moment he came to his feet. He also had the mysterious staff in his hand once more. He threw out his staff and procured a blinding white light that managed to dispel the vortex and pass through Shiren. The young man felt a searing pain cut into him and sweep across his entire body. Enraged, he bent down and grabbed what appeared to be the wand thing he had dropped earlier and pointed it at Nimrol. Flicking it furiously he produced three shafts of lighting and sent them hurtling towards the lord. Nimrol threw himself to the floor as they passed dangerously over his head. Whirling around he forced himself to come to a right state of mind. He had to render this child unconscious before he caused some real damage. Suddenly Nimrol’s eyes began to dull as he started to raise his staff into the air. Wind began to circle the lord with such a force that he nearly lost control of it. He then swung about and gathered up all his power and flung it at Shiren. Nimrol was flown back as he let loose the magic of old. Water rushed at Shiren, riding on the winds that had circled Nimrol. As the waves struck the young one, Nimrol rose to his feet and lifted the staff again. This time he lifted the water above Shiren and swirled it around him. The lord knew that if he could temporarily stop him breathing he could knock him unconscious. Shiren had a different agenda however. Using what power he had left, Shiren twirled his wand above his head. A great beam shone from within the water. The water became instant vapor from what the young black man did. Then Shiren did something that was totally unexpected. A green light started emitting from him as he rose into the air. Clouds began gathering quickly overhead. Darkness had now consumed the edge of the woodlands quicker than Nimrol had ever seen. That’s when Shiren spoke.

“The world will overturn if something is not done. Four who could save it will come forth within two fortnights from now. They will have the power to defeat the evil that plagues this world. Whether they save it or not, however, is not certified. If they choose not to act you will all perish!”

Shiren then fell from the air and landed hard on the grass with quite a loud thud. Nimrol rushed to his side, fearing the absolute worst had come to pass. He knelt next to the boy and placed his hands over the young one’s body. A faint blue light then started gleam softly from within the boy. The lord waited patiently for Shiren to come once again to his normal state.
© Copyright 2008 Supan0v@ (supanova at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1437469-Extract-from-my-book---The-Dark-Times