*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1438387-The-Wilds
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1438387
Scouts head out on a camping trip for flash fiction
“Okay scouts, everyone remember the buddy system. Check each other’s backpack and make sure everything on your checklists is there and ready to go.”

Scoutmaster Jackson walked amongst his assembled youngsters. He tried to maintain a balance between oversight and non-interference. He wanted the boys to feel self confidence and yet, the Wilds were not something to take lightly.

Parents stood around talking amongst themselves. For many, this would be the first time their sons will have been away from home for anything other than a sleepover at a friend’s house. They all felt some degree of pride in seeing the way their young ones prepared to face the Wilds.

The time finally came to get going. Everyone was loaded onto the transport. Jackson took a walk to the last module where their overland vehicle was stowed. It would be their only means of transportation once they reached the dome’s outer skin. The specialty vehicle was designed for just this type of outing. Its large rubber tires and ultra-flex suspension system would allow them to navigate just about any terrain. A.I. controlled turrets would protect the scout troop against all known predators.

It took about an hour to reach Dome Gate, a small outpost about a hundred clicks from the city center. The transport tube would take them no further. Everything was unloaded from the modules and repacked onto the wheeled transport.

They passed through one airlock after another, eventually reaching the outer skin; only one more airlock to go.

“Don your rebreathers,” said Jackson as he walked amongst the boys checking to make sure everyone was ready to go.

The last airlock opened and the vehicle eased into the Wilds.

If all went well, today they would make it to the ancient base camp once known as Dodger Stadium.

Word count 300
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1438387-The-Wilds