*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1440433-The-Rise-of-the-Valkyrie-Draft
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1440433
A draft of a short story I may submit to a magazine.
Pain.

My vision blurred and I staggered backwards, but was able to regain my footing just as the warrior pulled her sword from my side.  I instinctively dropped my weapon and moved my hand to examine the wound.  My sword fell to the ground with a loud clank that echoed through the crisp winter morning.  One look at the blood on my hand told me she had hit her mark with her last thrust and sealed my fate.  Death would arrive to fetch me soon.

The other warrior stood back cautiously and watched as I carefully removed my helmet.  She had lowered her sword until the tip rested on the ground.  The weight of the helmet suddenly was too much and I dropped it next to my sword.  Another sound reverberated through the sleeping countryside and dead trees. 

With my helmet gone I could feel the cold breeze nip at my cheeks.  It was a welcome distraction from the pain that sliced through my entire body.

Unable to support my own weight anymore, I fell down to the hard ground on my hands and knees.  I could no longer see my opponent until she came to my aid, rolling me onto my back and resting my head in her lap.  Though my vision was dim, I could see that her eyes were full of pain and fear.  They were my own eyes looking back at me through my daughter.

Though I knew she had doubts, I knew that she would be a fine leader to our people.  The land would prosper under her rule as the clan’s matriarch. I tried my best to smile at her and wanted tell her how much I loved her, but I could not.  The darkness was coming fast and I was ready for it to take me.

The world went dark.

Before I awoke I could feel the warmth of the sun on my body.  The long blades of grass around me swayed with a phantom breeze and caressed my skin.  Before opening my eyes I knew there was beauty to behold.  I basked in the feeling of warmth and soaked up the rays of the sun.

As I laid there the events of the day hit me like a hammer – I died today!

My eyes flew open as I bolted up to a sitting position.  A quick inspection of my side showed that the wound was gone and that I was dressed in a simple dress.  I slowly rose to my feet and looked around.  A grassy field with several patches of flowers surrounded me.

In the distance I saw a woman sitting in a chair.  I could not quite make out what she looked like and she did not look dangerous so I walked in her direction.  As I neared the woman I saw that she had long blond hair that was braided all around her.  She was dressed in the armor of a warrior, but had a kind face.  It was when I saw that she was sitting on a throne made of stone with a cat on either side that I realized who She was.

I immediately fell on my knees with my eyes on the ground.

She bid me to rise and come to Her.  Taking my hand in Hers, we walked across the plain.  While we were walking the scenery around us changed and began to look familiar.  We were back in my village and it was springtime.  The trees were awake and flowering.  The fields were full of sprouting crops.

A baby’s wail broke the silence.  She let go of my hand as I ran towards my home.  I arrived just in time to see my newborn granddaughter in her mother’s arms.  The baby girl was crying and squirming, but she looked beautiful.  My daughter announced that her child would be called Brynhildr after her mother.

She was back at my side again and motioned that it was time for us to leave.  As we walked away, She asked if I would join her as a valkyrie, escorting the dead heroes to Valhalla.  I nodded with a smile.

She took my hand again and began walking again.
© Copyright 2008 Kassie Thrace (kassiethrace at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1440433-The-Rise-of-the-Valkyrie-Draft