*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1440726-Choosing-a-Driving-School-in-Michigan
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Activity · #1440726
Some tips parents will need to know.
Getting your driver’s license is one of the rites of passage for young people. These days, it’s not as easy as it was for those of us who grew up in the 60s, 70s or even the 80s. Things have changed significantly. For one thing, driver education is no longer part of the curriculum in most Michigan high schools. Since losing state funding a few years back, not many school districts are willing to pay to continue providing driver education. Those that are still in the driver education business will no doubt charge for the service.

Michigan is also a state with graduated licensing, which means that driver education is completed in segments, and licensing is done in steps. Everyone under the age of 18 who wishes to be licensed in Michigan MUST take a state approved driver education course. Since 1997, teenagers are able to take driver education starting at 14 years and eight months old. They are able to obtain a Level 1 license or permit at 14 years and nine months old. This allows the child to practice with parent or guardian or their designee who is over 21 years of age. Students can obtain a restricted Level 2 license at 16, providing that they have completed segment 1 and 2 of driver education, have at least six months of practice on the permit, passed a road test and have parental permission.

For many Michigan parents who are used to having driver education provided “free” in high school, this is a drastic change. The laws are also tricky for new residents to understand. With over 300 driving schools in the state, choosing the right one for you can be a daunting task. After all, all of the requirements for all the schools are exactly the same and each teacher must complete the same college courses and teach the same curriculum. So what are the differences? Following are a few things to consider when choosing a driving educator.

1.          How long has the school been in business? Due to the fact that state colleges are cranking out more driver ed teachers each semester, driver education schools pop up like mushrooms every year. Very few of them make it past a couple years in business. Will the school you choose still be around when your child is ready for the next step?
2.          What is included in the price quoted? Sometimes the book is not included. Some schools may have the charge for the driving portion of the class separate. Others might only have the customer pay for segment 1 at the time of segment 1 or they may charge for an entire package. Some will charge for test retaking, and others charge for missed appointments or classes.
3.          What about refunds? All Michigan licensed schools must plainly place language concerning refund policies and bad check charges on their contracts. In addition, parents must sign a statement guaranteeing the physical capability of their child for taking driver education.
4.          What if I’m still not satisfied? Is the school willing to work with your child if they have learning or other disabilities? Will they share with you pass/fail rates? Driving schools are regulated by the state, and complaints or concerns should be addressed to them at Michigan Department of State, Program Operations Division, Driver Education Section, Lansing, MI 48918 (517) 373-0763.

Keep in mind that these are the minimum requirements in Michigan:

1.          All students in Segment 1 are required to receive 24 hours of class room time, six (6) hours behind-the-wheel, and four (4) hours of observation time. They are also required to pass a written examination given by the school.
2.          All students in Segment 2 are required to receive six (6) hours of additional class time.
3.          All students have to have parental permission to obtain a permit, and must have a parent or guardian in the car at all times while under the permit status. Parents of children under 18 have the ability to rescind the licenses of their minor children.
4.          Even if a child passes Segment 1, 2 and the road test, the child is not considered licensed until he/she goes to the Secretary of State to obtain a license.

To be licensed in Michigan, driver educators must pass a college level driver education curriculum class. They need not be certified teachers, but they do have to be certified driver educators. Potential instructors must have an FBI/fingerprint check and a current physical examination. Most schools will additionally check driving records of their employees.

For more information, please see the Michigan Secretary of State web site HERE.

© Copyright 2008 Joanne Huspek (jlhuspek at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1440726-Choosing-a-Driving-School-in-Michigan