*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1441877-Fairy-Tales
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1441877
written for my daughter, long ago; a fairy tale
Hi.  My name is Stefany.  And I would like to tell you about my new friends. 

I was playing out in the back yard a few days ago and I got pretty bored, so I decided to walk over by the woods and see if there might be something different to play with.  I’m not supposed to go into the woods alone 'cuz my mom says I’m not old enough yet and I really didn’t go by myself.  I went with my new friends.

I had gone close to the edge of the woods, but didn’t find anything interesting.  So, I sat down by a bush to rest.  I started hearing a funny noise.  It sort of sounded like the buzz of a fly or a bee.  I got kind of scared that it was a bee.  When I listened closer it sounded more like little people talking.  So, curious as I am, I started looking around.  When I found them, I forgot all about being scared. 

You probably won’t believe me.  At least no grownup has yet.  I found a fairy nest!  Well, sort of a nest, maybe like a motel.  It's where they stop to rest when they're out hunting or gathering and they need a break.

We startled each other pretty bad.  They couldn’t believe a human had gotten so close without their radar going off.  They said it was more than likely 'cuz I am so small.  I told them that I am considered big for four.  They were amazed.  The youngest one of them there is one hundred and seven and much smaller than I am!

Anyway.  I made friends with them right away.  We really get along swell.  They don’t think I’m a stupid baby at all.  While Sherzan and I were getting to know each other, she asked if I wanted to go to her home and see it.  I said I probably shouldn’t 'cuz my mom might get mad.  She told me it wasn’t far and we could get there and back before I got into trouble.  She obviously didn’t know my mom.

I wanted to go with them so bad that it was easy for Sherzan to talk me into it.  She called her friend Friply over because he's so strong he can carry me.  And he's only half my size.  He really is very strong.  It was a weird feeling, like floating on clouds.  It was scary, though, 'cuz Friply flies fast!  I don’t tell time yet, but know it didn’t take us just a blink and we were there. It was so beautiful!

The fairies were dancing around and there were bunnies and birdies everywhere.  And even better, they were not afraid of me.  I could pet them and hold them all I wanted.  When I asked Sherzan about it she said it was 'cuz the fairies liked me.  I was the first human in almost 200 years to see their home. 

We danced and played for a very long time.  All of a sudden, I realized I was hungry and wanted my mom.  I was afraid she would be worried about me 'cuz I had been gone so long.  Sherzan, Friply and Wendel assured me not to worry.  They said fairy time is not the same as human time.  They said my mom wouldn’t even know I was gone.  It was only a couple of minutes by her time, but I was hungry.  Friply told me that, if I wanted him to, he would get me some fairy food.  It sounded very strange, so I said I wanted to go home. 

So Friply hoisted me into the air and we were off like the wind.  I closed my eyes this time, but it made it scarier.  When we got back to my back yard, Friply set me down near the edge of the woods.  He said that because he was by himself he didn’t want to go too far into the yard.  I said that was ok.  I could go from there by myself.  I thanked him for the ride and for the fun I had.  I do know my manners. 

I turned to walk over to my house and just then my mom came out the back door.  I spun around to warn Friply, but he was already gone.  Mom said she had lunch ready and I thought she had made a mistake.  I asked her if she meant supper.  She laughed and said that suppertime was a long way off.  I could hardly believe that I was only gone a little while.  It had felt like so long!  I guess Wendel was right.  Fairy time is different than our time. 

Mom and I went into the house to have lunch.  I tried to tell her about my new friends.  She laughed and asked me if I had had a cat nap in the shade with a very fun dream.  That got me to wondering.  Did I? 

That afternoon Mom and I had to go shopping, so I didn’t get a chance to go back outside and check on my friends.  I did get the chance yesterday morning.  I asked mommy if I could go out to play until lunch.  When she said ok, I ran out the back door as fast as my little legs would go.  I ran straight for the bush where I had found my new friends the day before. 

Sure enough!  There was Sherzan and Wister.  They seemed almost as excited to see me as I was to see them.  The only difference was that they knew I existed.  I just found out that I really wasn’t dreaming!  They wanted me to play, but Friply was gathering so he wasn’t there to give me a ride. 

That was the reason that Sherzan had asked Wister to come with her.  Wister is one of the oldest fairies.  She is their healer.  Friply told me that is like being the doctor, but better. 

I know that you have heard of fairy dust.  Even though you probably don’t believe in it.  I found out it is real.  Wister is one of the few keepers of the dust.  It is very strong and cannot get into the wrong hands, but, 'cuz Wister is so old, she is responsible enough to be a keeper.  She knows just how much to use for each thing she does with it. 

Fairy dust is used for a lot of different things.  Making animals friendly, plants and flowers to grow, sick fairies well, and me very small!  Yes, you heard me right.  Wister sprinkled just a few little pieces of dust on my hair and I was suddenly half my size!  That was scary!  I started to cry.  I thought I was going to be in so much trouble!  Sherzan told me it would be okay.  All Wister had to do was use a couple more pieces of dust and I would go right back to my regular size.  She had not given me any reason to think she was not telling the truth, so I stopped crying.  I really wanted to go with them. 

With me being so small ( I was just over one foot tall!), Sherzan was able to fly me to their home.  It was just as beautiful as I remembered.  Flowers and butterflies, squirrels and bunnies everywhere.  It smelled like flowers and berries and sunshine, all mixed together with warm honey.  'Cuz I was so small, everything looked really big.  I wasn't afraid, though, 'cuz Sherzan was right by my side.

Wendel had explained to me the last time that I was there, that as long as I was there, the animals and birds would be my friends.  But, as soon as I went back, they would be afraid of me again.  It is because they have such short memories.  But, this time Wister said, 'cuz she had used fairy dust on me, they would remember me.  So, now I have to be very careful.  I could endanger them by letting people see that they are my friends. 

I had a wonderful time.  I even tried fairy food this time.  It is delicious.  It is made from flower nectar, crushed nuts, and fruit.  They should have told me that last time that it tasted better than anything that I have ever had.  It's even better than Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter cereal and that's my favorite!  I would have tried it then if I would have known how good it was.

Just like last time, all of a sudden I missed my mom.  I knew I had been here a lot longer this time and would surely get into trouble.  I found Sherzan and told her my fears.  She said I shouldn’t worry, but agreed it was time for me to go home.  We went to find Wister 'cuz she would have to return me to my normal size when we got back to my yard. 

She was at the edge of the clearing helping with crushing the nuts.  That looked like a very difficult job.  I told them that the next time I come to their home I would gladly help.  It would be easier if I was my normal size, but I still am bigger than the fairies.  Wister said she would be ready to go in just a short while. 

While I waited, I went to spend some time with Big Ear.  He's one of the bunnies that live there.  When he was just a baby, he got caught in a hunters trap.  It cut off almost half of his ear.  It makes the other one look too big.  He is my favorite.  He's so soft and furry. 

Well, it was time to go.  I knew I would miss my friends very much.  But, I missed my mom, too.  Wendel came to say goodbye and he saw that I was crying.  He brushed away my tears and told me that anytime I wanted to come and see them, I was welcome.  If I went to the bush and none of the fairies were there, I could just tie a blue ribbon to the highest branch that I could reach.  One of them would see it and know that their new friend was feeling lonely.  Someone would come to get me. 

We hugged and said our goodbyes.  Then Wister and Sherzan said it was time to leave.  As we got closer to my back yard, I heard my mom calling for me.  Wister said we would have to land in the edge of the woods, so she could use the fairy dust to make me the right size again.  That way my mom wouldn't see them.

We landed and, poof, I was back to normal.  They said they were sorry and hoped I wouldn’t get into trouble.  Then they were gone.  I really wish that they would have told my mom that I wasn’t alone in the woods.  Because when I came out of the woods, I was sure alone, and in trouble.  Not just for going into the woods alone either.  Mom says that I am lying to try to get out of trouble. 

Maybe, when I am done being grounded, she will believe me.  The trouble will be over.  I will have no reason to try to get out of it.  But, on the other hand, Mom is a grown-up.  They don’t believe in fairies anymore.  But, you can bet, when I am a grown-up, I will believe in fairies!
© Copyright 2008 rev.wendy (rev.wendy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1441877-Fairy-Tales