*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1442438-The-Amulet-Chapter-Nine
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1442438
Cade and Alize meet, destined to save or destroy their world. RR&R.
CHAPTER NINE:

As they rode into the city for a second time the next morning Alize was determined to make it more enjoyable than the time before. She took every opportunity to start small talk with Iram. Even though he was more distant than ever, at least he was talking. Across from them her father was talking animatedly to her mother about money saving options. He mentioned everything from selling cavalry to decreasing staff size.

“I’m not sure we really need the new servants we had brought in, they aren’t extremely necessary,” he was stating. Alize smiled, her father didn’t really understand how much work actually had to be done around the estate. At these words Iram tuned in for the first time during the ride.

“Why get rid of them though? They aren’t causing any trouble.”

“Well yes but they’re costing us food and room,” her father answered.

“But the work they do is worth the cost,” Iram retaliated slightly harshly.

Alize turned and looked at him questioningly, he seemed anxious this morning.

“Yes well, they may be worth the money, but it’s money needlessly spent. I say we look over our options and come up with a better system, we don’t want the house crawling with servants.”

Iram stiffened and seemed about to say something but the carriage came to a stop, and before he could the door was swung open and her parents climbed out. Iram quickly followed suit and Alize was left to be helped by the doorman.

Once in the sun she breathed in heavily and the scents of the festival filled her nostrils. The day was even clearer and brighter than the day before and the sight of clear sky itself lifted her spirits some. As she scanned the busy crowd her eyes caught on the alleyway in which she had been pulled the day before. She shivered slightly and wiped her hands nervously on her dress. Today Felicity had brought her a dark maroon dress with black lace and three quarter length sleeves. It was shorter than the blue one, which was a relief in the heat.

Felicity had also presented her a beautiful silk maroon scarf with beads hanging off each end. This was specifically for the days dancing hours, but it went wonderfully with her dress so she’d slung it around her shoulders for the day. Alize had woken up earlier today so Felicity took the time to put her hair up in an elegant roll with several strands free to blow in the wind.

Falling in step behind Iram Alize followed her family through the crowd and up on the platform to the where her father had his meeting the previous morning. This was where her parents spent most of their time, the tent was a relief from the heat and sun and with a table and chairs it provided her father with an opportunity to have meetings with people he didn’t generally see.

Again, Alize spent most of the morning listening to her father talk and watching the townspeople enjoying the fair. Many activities were going on, alcoholic games, eating races, children’s games and races. Foods of all kinds were being sold along with other various household items. Children were screaming and running around. Not for the first time Alize half wished she was less wealthy, even just for this one day. She’d always been jealous as a child of the other children who were allowed to scream and yell and get dirty. Instead she always had to sit by herself in a proper manner and look down on those children. As she watched a group of the towns teenagers laughing and joking as they neglected their job to sell their parents produce and meet she sighed. They had more freedom than she did in a sense, but she knew she was better off, and to voice any of these thoughts to her parents would be close to disowning herself.

She’d learned long ago that they lived a separate life from hers and they would never mix. That is outside of the festival dance. The dance was the one time in the year that people from all social classes mingled. They all danced together, it was typical that each girl would have a scarf and by the end of the dance a man was in possession of it. When it came to the scarf hand offs it was usually common knowledge that a man of similar social status would receive a ladies scarf. Alize had long loved the dance part of the festival. As a child she watched it in awe and as she grew older she participated, it was the one time she could really let go.

It was long past midday when her father ceased his meetings. Alize accompanied her mother to look at new cloths from a local tailor for dresses. He had been recommended by Felicity and when her mother went to look them over she decided to join her. Alize’s presence was barely recognized during the trip but she tried not to mind. Once they had returned the time of the dance was approaching.

Alize was starting to get nervous. She noticed she was playing with her curls and stopped before her mother took note. Usually she wasn’t nervous, but this year Iram was with them and she wondered if she was supposed to dance differently with a fiancee. But she hadn’t had time to ask her mother or Felicty about the matter so she tried to put it out of her mind. The dance was just to have fun.

She joined Iram in the tent and smiled up at him, “Excited?” She asked.

He looked down quickly, “Yes,” he said hastily before looking up again. He seemed extremely anxious.

“If everything okay?” Alize inquired.

“Yes, yes it’s fine,” He replied then he seemed to notice something outside the tent, Alize looked but saw nothing of interest, “Excuse me, I’ll be back in a minute, I have a matter to deal with.” He bowed slightly in interest of politeness and had hurried out of the tent before Alize could say anything. Puzzled, she frowned. She wondered what the matter was. At any rate he wouldn’t be gone long, the dance was starting soon.

But by the time the announcer had climbed onto the platform Iram had still not returned. Trying desperately not to fiddle with the hem of her dress Alize focused on the crowd. Once the announcer, a small man in a bright red outfit, had climbed up on the platform the townspeople were starting to crowd around the staircase.

“Come Alize,” her father stated curtly, motioning her to the stairs off of the platform they were on, “Where is Iram?”

“I’m not sure,” She answered truthfully.

“Well he’s probably already down there,” her father said offhandedly, then he gave her a strange look and continued down the steps. Taking her mother in his arm they walked down to the square and across it towards the dancing platform.

Hoping he was right Alize started down after him, her heels clicking on the stone steps. The crowd was thickening and it was hard for her to keep up with her parents, but she managed and by the time she had caught up they were appraoching the steps. The announcer yelled his last few words and as the crowd raised a cheer they started to ascend the steps. The upperclass were the first allowed on the platform. Her parents, surrounded by other wealthy family’s climbed the steps, Alize followed close behind. They all lined up, followed quickly by the lower classes, all assembling themselves in the well known order. Alize found herself facing a wealthy general, a friend of her fathers. Just as people got into place the music started.

Nymphs are born magicians, music surges through their blood. As a result the band playing was always composed of members who were all at least half nymph. This resulted in heart wrenching music that could change your feelings at any moment. As the music rose around them, the song one of a heart pounding beat and beautiful string symphony, Alize felt her feelings soar. She grabbed the man’s hands and started dancing. With years of experience and several classes enforced by her mother Alize had become more than an average dancer. As the music blasted she let her body move of its own accord. The general smiled at her and passed her to one of the towns bakers. In turn the baker passed her to a wealthy merchant. She was passed on and on. The custom of the dance was to dance with whomever you wanted or was passed your way. You could dance as long or a brief as you wanted. She saw her mother and father dancing together, inseparable, as she whirled in and among the people on the platform.

She smiled at the young children trying to apply their class dance steps to the wonderful chaos. She saw couples twirling in each others arms. Then she realized Iram still wasn’t there, she looked but couldn’t find him anywhere. The gangly squire she was dancing with spun her suddenly and as she twirled she found herself off balance. Before she could fall, however, she was caught and found herself staring into bright green eyes. If it hadn’t been for the fact that she couldn’t let go without falling and her mother was right behind her she would have slapped the smile right off Cade’s face. Instead he righted her and twirled her once more, she had no option but to dance and glare.

But her glare was not wavering his grin as they spun and danced across the floor. Because it was the festival no one noticed them. “What are you doing?” She growled.

“Dancing,” He replied. Then she noticed his apparel was neater than usual, his pants a green silk and his tunic spotless white. He had even washed and brushed his mess of hair. For a second she realized how attractive he looked, his eyes standing out, his hair and olive skin shining, then mentally slapped herself. As a result she snapped.

“I thought you were leaving.”

“I was, but things came up, im leaving in a few days,” He said smiling, “Why the death stare? Enjoy the music,” He twirled her suddenly with unimaginable grace, and as the beat got faster and the music more complex, but he kept up with everyone of her moves. He had the dancing skills of a noble, and she had no idea where he would have received them. Instead of responding she danced and looked away from him, ignoring his looks. He refused to let her move on, or give her the opportunity to do so for herself and they danced for several more minutes before he said anything else.

“So where’s the fiancee? Aren’t you supposed to be dancing with him?” Cade said, mock in his tone. Alize felt her stomach clench and she let go of his hands. The minute she stopped moving she realized it was a bad idea. The beat was at extremities and when she stopped the crowd didn’t. Once more Cade caught her from falling.

“That’s none of your business.” She growled.

“Oh you’re right, sorry, shouldn’t have brought up such a touchy matter,” Oh, how she wanted to slap the smile off his face. For a moment she wished again she was of lower class, then she’d have the ability to slap him whenever she wanted. Instead she could do nothing but glare, and his smirk just got bigger.

Then the music stopped, quickly and abruptly, as it did every year. Cade opened his mouth to say something, but before he could Alize turned and stormed off. Before she had made it even five steps a firm grip was on her arm. Gently but with a strong tug she was pulled around to face him. His eyes bores into her for a few seconds, then he slowly let his fingers fall down her arm and his hand closed around her scarf, as he pulled it off lightly he smiled, “I believe this is mine.” Before she could say a word of protest he was gone. Alize held in a scream. She was sick of his disappearing antics.

Furious, she left the platform and went to find her parents. But a sound stopped her and she turned. Heated voices were coming from the same alleyway where Cade had dragged her the day before. Looking around quickly to make sure her mother wasn’t near, Alize approached the alleyway with quickened steps. She heard a girl shouting angrily and a low voice answered. As Alize neared the corner she suddenly recognized the voice and her stomach flipped. She turned and a strange sight met her eyes.

Iram was holding the new servant girl Saige by her shoulders, his voice was urgent and she was glaring at him, tears streaming down her face. She looked completely emotionally defeated. “You can’t just-” she started angrily but he shook his head and she stopped. He said something in an undertone but it riled her more, “Iram you can’t-” and suddenly he kissed her. A kiss full of passion. Alize felt her jaw unhinge and her stomach soar. Her heart started beating unimaginably fast and the short kiss seemed to last a lifetime.

“No,” She felt herself whisper, “No.”

When Iram let go of the girl she whispered something in her ear, she shook her head sadly and started to say something but when she looked up she saw Alize. Her huge eyes got bigger and her hand slapped to her mouth. She looked at Iram and back to Alize. “No,” She said loudly, as if voicing Alize’s thoughts. Then she took one last look at Iram, and fled.

Iram hadn’t realized what happened, when she ran away he yelled after her. Then he turned around and time seemed to freeze. His eyes locked with Alize’s and every muscle in his body seemed to sink in exasperation. He shook his head and started to reach out. Suddenly Alize found her body again. She shook her head in return then gave him one look of disgust, turned and fled, hoping the tears wouldn’t come, but knowing they would.

She ducked into another alleyway as soon as they started flowing. First it felt as if her heart had stopped. Then she felt as if her chest was being ripped in two. Her eyes welled up and they started running down her face. As her breathing became ragged she suddenly realized that someone had followed her. She turned to see the pity filled face of Felicity.

“Ma’am,” She said softly. Without thinking Alize threw herself onto the old maid, who stiffened in surprise, and then softened and patted her back, “You stay here Ma’am and I’ll go get a carriage, I’ll tell the mistress you’re head start hurtin’ again and you asked to be taken home.” Thankful, but too distressed to voice it Alize only nodded. And only minutes later she was in a carriage heading home.

She couldn’t even think. Sounds were dulled and things around her were happening that she didn’t notice. She couldn’t remember boarding the carriage or the ride. The only thing she was focused on was that image, of Iram kissing Saige. The scenario played over and over in her mind, stuck on repeat.

When she got home she hurried to her room, not noticing anything. Her crying had ceased and her eyes were damp and unfocused. The second her door closed however the tears started running again, and that sensation of her chest being ripped open repeated itself. The sky was dark now, and she rushed to her window that had been left open. The cold air cooled her tears and she shivered slightly. Suddenly overwhelming anger surged through her. Her tears turned to angry ones and she felt her hand enclose her necklace. She inhaled heavily and tore it off, breaking the chain. She tossed it as far as she could outside her window and with one last angry sob slammed her window shut.
© Copyright 2008 ξრι (dracoeques at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1442438-The-Amulet-Chapter-Nine