*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1443131-How-to-save-a-life
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Drama · #1443131
Josie hadn't seen him in 6 years and thought her feelings for him were long gone.
Chapter 1

Josie sipped her coffee while she sat at the kitchen table. The newspaper was open in front of her but she wasn’t really reading it. Her thoughts took her elsewhere. In two months she was going to get married and the first symptoms of pre-marital jitters were starting to set in. It wasn’t that she didn’t love Alex. She did. It was just that in a way she felt like she wasn’t ready for this yet. To bring a man into her life for good. She was only 26 years old. Was she really willing to settle down already?

Her past experiences with men hadn’t been so great which made her scared to death to completely fall for someone now. Blake had been the hardest to get over and move on with her life. Especially because he left a little something to remember him by for the rest of her life. They broke up after dating for two years and it hadn’t been good. A lot had been said; things that she meant and things that she didn’t. He slammed her door on his way out and she hadn’t heard from him since.

She knew he was doing really well in the music business. But other than that she tried to avoid anything related to him. After their break up, she eventually lost touch with the rest of the gang, except Melissa and Gillian. They were the ones that were there for her when she found out she was pregnant two months later. Her world crashed around her. She didn’t know what do to when saw those two pink lines. She was 20 years old, an international celebrity and pregnant. Melissa and Gillian helped her throughout the pregnancy, going to the doctor with her, dealing with her mood swings and decorating the baby’s room. But most importantly, they were there with her when she told her parents.

It was a shock to her family at first, but they supported her and were actually excited about the baby. Peter, her brother, was elated that he was going to be an uncle and claimed he was going to be the baby’s favorite uncle ever. The only thing they didn’t approve - and neither did Gillian and Melissa – was her decision of not telling Blake about the baby. They tried to convince her several times but she had already made up her mind about it. As far as she was concerned, Blake would never find out about her child and her family gave up on trying to talk her out of it eventually.

So on January 3rd, 2002, after eighteen hours in labor, Tyler William Sparks was born and her life has revolved around him since then.

She led a quiet life, keeping to herself, not letting anyone pry into her personal life and continued with her career. She dated a few guys but none of them seemed to be what she wanted.

Until Alex.

They met at an award show when Tyler was two years old and had been together since then. When he proposed to her, she thought she was going to burst with happiness. Her life was great. She had a successful career in the music business, her son was healthy and she could provide everything he needed and she was going to get married to a guy who loved her unconditionally. It couldn’t get any better than that.

But then why was she feeling so afraid now?

“Morning, mama.” A child’s voice interrupted her thoughts and she looked down at her little boy.

At six years old, he was a complete mix between her and Blake. He had his father’s blonde hair, only it was curly like his mom’s. It was much like a little angel’s and it was always falling on his eyes. He was tall for his age and had his mom’s smile.

“Morning, baby. Did you sleep ok?” she asked picking him up and sitting him on her lap. He nodded and rubbed his eyes resting his head on her shoulder. “What are you still doing in your pj’s, Ty? You’re going to be late for school.”

“But I’m hungry.” He said yawning.

“Tell you what, why don’t you go and get ready and I’ll make you some pancakes?” He looked up at her, his eyes sparkling with excitement.

“Can I have chocolate syrup with them?”

“Only if you go now.” She said smiling. He jumped off her lap and ran to the door, bumping into someone on his way out.

“Hi, Alex! Bye, Alex!” He exclaimed and ran up the stairs.

“Be careful, Ty! No running!” Josie called out after him. Alex chuckled and walked over to her.

“Hey, beautiful.” He said kissing her neck. She looked up at him and he kissed her lips.

“Morning, babe.”

“Have you been up long?” he asked, pouring himself a cup of coffee.

“Yeah, couldn’t sleep.” He sat down in front of her.

“Is something wrong?” he asked concerned.

“No, not really.” She lied. “I have that sometimes. It comes and goes.”

“But…”

“Good morning, people.” Gillian said walking in through the kitchen door. “I’m not interrupting anything, am I?”

“Hi, Gigi.” Josie said and Gillian leaned down to kiss her forehead. “And you’re not interrupting anything. It’s not like you’d care if you were, right?”

“What can I say? You know me too well, Jo.” She said with a shrug and a smile. Josie chuckled and rolled her eyes at her friend.

“Do you want some coffee?” Alex offered.

“Please! Steve didn’t let me sleep at all last night, if you know what I mean.” She said with a happy grin and poured herself a mug. Josie laughed.

“You guys made up then?”

“Oh yeah. Make up sex is always the best.” She said with a wink.

“Mama, I’m ready.” Tyler entered the kitchen with his backpack already on.

“That’s my big boy. Sit down and I’ll get you your pancakes.” Josie said getting up.

“Aunt Gillian!” he exclaimed and ran to her.

“What’s up, Ty?” she said picking him up and kissing him several times making him giggle. “You ready for school?” He nodded. “Great, cause today cool Aunt Gillian here is driving you there.” His eyes lit up excitedly just like Blake’s, Josie thought to herself.

“Really?”

“Really.” Gillian said putting him down.

“Awesome!" He said sitting down on a chair. Josie put a plate with pancakes in front of him.

“Chocolate syrup just like you ordered, young man.” She said grinning, covering his meal with chocolate.

“Thanks, mama.” He said and started eating.

“Be careful. Don’t let anything fall on your clothes. We’re leaving in ten minutes.”

~*~

Chris opened the door of the apartment he shared with Blake. He had been living with Blake again for the past four months since he broke up with his girlfriend. The place was a mess. Beer bottles everywhere. Clothes on the floor. Both Blake’s and female clothes. He sighed and pulled his luggage in. Blake was a lost cause, he thought. He tried as much as he could to help him but his patience was wearing thin. He looked at his watch. 8:30am. Shaking his head, he made his way to Blake’s room. Knocking on the door, he waited for an answer.

Nothing.

He knocked again and pushed the door open. Blake was sound asleep with a girl next to him. Chris looked closely but didn’t recognize her. It was probably a new fling. He walked over to the bed and shook Blake’s shoulder.

“Wake up.” Nothing. “Blake.” Nothing. “Blake, come on, man! Wake the hell up, damn it!”

“What?” Blake asked annoyed.

“You have a meeting with the producers today, remember? And you’re late.”

“What? What time is it?” he asked groggily.

“8:30.” Blake sat up quickly.

“Shit, why didn’t you wake me up?! Fuck, I’m so late!” he said throwing the covers off of him and getting up.

“Do I look like your damn alarm clock? You’re lucky I got here now. I wasn’t even coming home today.”

Blake stopped at the door and looked back at his friend. He could sense Chris was losing his patience. Rubbing his temples, willing the headache to leave him alone, he sighed.

“Look, man, I’m sorry. Thanks for waking me up.” Chris nodded and turned to leave. “Hey, Chris?”

“What?” Chris asked annoyed.

“You think you can give me a ride there?” He asked hopeful. Chris let out a heavy sigh and shook his head.

“Sure. Just hurry up.”

“Thanks, man.” Blake said and disappeared into his bathroom.

Chris looked at the girl on Blake’s bed and walked back in the room to wake her up and make her leave. He couldn’t understand why his friend was acting like this. It started after he broke up with Josie. Girl after girl, meaningless one-night stands. Partying and drinking had become his priorities. Even though he was doing great with his music, his personal life was a mess. And Chris was starting to get tired of trying to help him.

~*~

Josie and Gillian took Tyler to school and went to meet Melissa. They were out to find the bridesmaids’ dresses. Two hours and five stores later, they decided to go get some lunch at this small restaurant that they loved. On the walk there, Josie tried to tune out her friends’ voices. She was having second thoughts again. The closer the wedding was, the more nervous she became. And shopping wasn’t doing wonders to her nerves.

“I’m so not wearing pink.” Gillian stated.

“What’s wrong with pink? It’s a perfectly good color.” Melissa said.

“No it isn’t! Can you imagine me in a baby pink dress? No, you can’t. You know why? Because it’ll never look good on me. Right, Jo?” Gillian looked at her when she didn’t answer. “Josie!”

“What?”

Melissa laughed.

“Where did you go, hon?” she asked.

“What?” Josie asked confused.

“You were miles from here. Is everything ok?” Gillian asked.

“Yeah, yeah, fine. What were you guys saying?” she said pushing the restaurant’s door open.

“I’m not wearing pink. That’s what I was saying. I mean, come on, it’s just tacky and…” she bumped into Josie who had stopped right in front of her. “What the hell, Jo? Why’d you stop?” She followed Josie’s gaze and her eyes widened. “Hey, isn’t that…”

“Gillian, don’t. Keep your voice down.” Josie begged.

“It is!” Melinda agreed.

“Yeah, it’s him but…” Josie tried to say.

“I knew it! Hey, Chris!” Gillian called out.

~*~


Please review!
© Copyright 2008 luci in the sky (luci.inthe.sky at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1443131-How-to-save-a-life