*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1445115-Appreciation
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Philosophy · #1445115
Learn to appreciate, and life will be beautiful
Greg awoke to the sounds of city streets. The sun shined through the window. Not enough to hurt, but just enough to make you feel like it was going to be the best day of your life. He woke up from his bed, leaving his sleeping beauty wife asleep.
         He tiptoed to the bathroom, and took a warm shower. He had a grin on his face as he looked into the mirror. A fresh blooming 26, his glittering eyes shaped like almonds shined back at him. He made himself breakfast: a bacon and fried egg sandwich, with a banana on the side. He grinned as he quickly downed the food and put on his jacket. He stepped into the elevator outside his apartment. He grinned at his neighbor, Mr. Orvil. The white haired man was jolly and full of life, and this made Greg jollier. The grin on his face stretched from ear to ear, and he felt as if he could skip. He hailed danced a little jig as he made his way down to the subway station. In the train, people stared, unable to take their eyes off this jolly looking fellow. A brave little boy asked Greg, “Sir, what are you so happy about?”
“Because,” Greg replied, “today is going to be a good day.”
Today was the contract renewal day at the firm. He was a junior draftsman for Whitler and Harrison. He just started working, but he had already done his share of some pretty important projects, namely the new Golden Way Hospital downtown. He had received praise in the newspapers for being a new up and coming architect. Greg was completely sure he’d get a pay raise today. He had been working for a year, and was very dedicated and hardworking. Time came around for his turn to have his contract renewed. He made his way up to Mr. Whitler’s office. Mr. Harrison rarely came into the office, and he was nearing retirement anyway. Greg made sure to say hello to every person he saw on his way up. He reached the plush office of Mr. Whitler. Mr Whitler sat Greg down.
“Good morning Greg.”
“Good morning Mr. Whitler, sir!”
Mr. Whitler took his time surveying Greg. It was actually the first time he had met him. Mr. Harrison was the one who hired Greg. Mr. Whitler didn’t really approve of the young man, but he had to admit he had talent.
“Greg, my good man, what is it that drives you to do what you do?”
“Well, first of all my family…”
“Oh that’s good. Are you a father yet?”
“Well yes very soon..”
“That’s good.”
Mr. Whitler kept studying Greg. The joyful face that had entered the office had suddenly sunk to a curious and puzzled face.
“How far would you go for your family, Greg?”
“I’d die for them to be happy sir”
“That’s good. So to say the least you would make many sacrifices for them.”
“Yes sir.”
“Good good…..”
Greg was beginning to sweat.
“Sir, if I may ask, where are you—“
“Greg. You think of Whitler and Harrison as a big family right?”
“Well yes, but—“
“And Mr. Harrison and myself are the leaders and head of this family, am I correct?”
“Yes sir.”
“The sacrifices must be made to keep this family alive am I right?”
Mr. Whitler paused, staring at Greg. Greg looked at Mr. Whitler, his face snow white.
“I’m sorry Greg, but the company is a bad situation, and with the economy going down in the dumps, we don’t have another choice. You’re young, you have other options. The other guys here, they’ve been her for years and years. They don’t have the talent that you have, they don’t have the opportunity. I’m releasing you because I know that you wont benefit any more than you are here. And I wont have any more talk from you, because I have made my decision. Here is a box for your belongings, and here is your final paycheck. Good day and good luck”
Greg took the box and limped back downstairs to his desk. Like a piece of stone, he rigidly started putting his belongings into the small box. In the elevator ride downstairs, he stared at the numbers above the elevator door. His favorite song was on, but he did not listen. He walked outside of the door. The sky above seemed like a giant abyss. He knew he had talent. But why? Mr. Whitler did not understand what it meant to be a true salary man rather than living off pure profits. Greg’s life was determined by the big guns upstairs. He shook with anger as he kept walking. The sky grew dark, and it started raining. He was soaked. His clothes clung to him like his own skin. But he did not notice. Pain and cold would go away. It took the right medicine. He crossed the street oblivious to oncoming traffic. He approached the small doorway and walked in.
“A shot please.”
Greg kept drinking for 3 hours. As he drank, his mind hissed with anger at the world. Anger at what he believed. In a way, I’m a really big hypocrite, he thought to himself. Sacrifices my ass. He drank. Drank. And drank some more. Somehow he began to think that he could drink himself into a new job. He didn’t know why he was drinking. He was so confused that drinking wasn’t really drinking anymore, it was merely an action that he performed like he did everyday. Like working. Like talking. Like living. There was no purpose of it. The most he could do is make a name for himself. But in a world like this, people live to chew up people worth something, then when they feel bored, the spit them back out. Going on was pointless.
He noticed the bartender staring at him. He saw in his eyes a sort of pained look, like the one you see in a broken man. The bartender sauntered over to him.
“I know what your thinking, and you ain’t the first. Hell you ain’t going to be the last,” the bartender  said to him
“You don’t know me,” Greg grunted in reply.
“Oh yes I do. You think that you are the only man in this world. You think you are the only man worth his weight in piss and shit. You think that you deserve the world, and that you the world owes you something. You’re probably some hotshot young worker who got fired from his job. What you need to know is that other people have it harder than you. No matter how bad you are, there are people who would kill their firstborn just to be able to live a minute of your life. You need to pick it up. You’re young, and you have much to do for this world. Get the hell out of here and go home.”
“……how much do I owe you?”
“Aw hell, just forget it. Its on my. Now scram”
Greg made his way out and started walking home. It was still raining. Halfway home he saw a man in a mask grab a womens purse. The women screamed.
“Stop thief!” Greg shouted as he ran towards the mugger.
The mugger suddenly wheeled, pointed a gun at Greg, and pulled the trigger.
“Oh!” yelped Greg as he fell to the ground. He thought of the building ideas he’d never see. He thought of his family. He thought of the sacrifices he’d never make for them. His blood mixed with the rain water, as he became part of the world, and for once in his life, he appreciated.
15 miles away, in the Golden Way Hospital, a child with glittering almond eyes was born.


© Copyright 2008 Jubilee (ssjulian101 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1445115-Appreciation