*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1445168-Elizabethan-Monologues
by reece!
Rated: E · Review · Arts · #1445168
I wrote this when reviewing our Year 11 Drama performances in 2008.
On Wednesday 4th June, the Year 11 Drama class individually performed Elizabethan monologues. Each student was given the responsibility to select a monologue from a Shakespearean play and base a performance on their monologue, using verbal, non-verbal techniques including Laban and considering characterisation techniques such as Stanislavski.

Giles performed a monologue from the play “Romeo and Juliet” and performed as the character Benvolio. Giles used very clear articulation and a slightly elevated tone to show his emotion in this scene. I used a varied tone throughout my monologue and an effective vocal production to show my feelings toward Edgar which was anger and frustration, it also showed the power that I longed to have over Edgar. In Elizabethan times, Shakespeare’s tragedies were concerned with people who had a share in the power and authority in their societies, power may be simply defined as the means by which you get other people to do what you want them to do. Sometimes you achieve this by physical force, because those on whom your power works don't want to obey you, but must in order to avoid injury or death. Power exerted in this way at the present day depends on the firm loyalty of the police and the armed forces, and is therefore expensive and of questionable reliability; and if loyal armed forces are the only means by which power is sustained, one's hold on it is unlikely to be a very long one. In 1600 there was neither a police force nor a standing army in England, so that state power was not a real option for its rulers. Giles says the line “And, as he fell, did Romeo turn and fly. This is the truth, or let Benvolio die.” I say the line “Wherefore should I stand in the plague of custom, and permit the curiosity of nations to deprive me?” For that I am some twelve or fourteen moonshines” Giles verbal communication worked effectively during this line as it highlighted his feelings and emotions of the retelling of what he saw during the fight between Romeo and Tybalt. His use of a slightly elevated tone showed how truthful he was being, his tone lowers as he says the line “This is the truth, or let Benvolio die” which shows that he is swearing that this is the truth by lowering his tone, he is also lowering his status. My verbal techniques were also effective as they showed my feelings and emotions towards Gloucester and Edgar which were the feelings of Justice, Hate, Jealousy and Frustration. When I say the lines “For that I am some twelve or fourteen moonshines” I say this in a higher tone to show my realization of the fact that I am lower in status than Edgar, just because I was born twelve or fourteen years earlier than he was.

Jon played the character Young Clifford from the play “Henry VI”, his movement in his scene reflected his emotions during his monologue, and his movements mainly consisted of large, full and fluid movements which were highly selective for tragedy. My movements mostly consisted of gestures, as I used my hands in an aggressive manner such as throwing my first infront of me and up in the air. The reason for this is because again, I was showing how eager I was to plot my revenge and send off my letter to usurp Edgar. My Laban effort whilst on stage was slashing as my movements were direct, and aggressive. In Elizabethan times, actors had to use large and fluid movements as they needed to be seen by the audience in the large amphitheatres of that time. Jon says the line “Henceforth I will not have to do with pity: Meet I an infant of the house of York, Into as many gobbets will I cut it” I say the line “Well then my legitimate, if this letter speed, and my invention thrive, Edmund, the base! Shall top the legitimate! I grow, I prosper”. When Jon says this line, he slashes his arm infront of him as if he was holding a dagger whilst using the Laban effort action Slashing, as his movement was direct and aggressive, his movements also had a medium circle of attention until he fully realises his anger over the murder of his father, after that and during his slashing movement, he has a large circle of attention for the rest of the duration of his monologue. When I say my line, I am infront of my desk in a powerful position using my shoulders as my leading centre to show power and evil, as I say the line I grab the letter on the desk, and hold it in the air as I say each line while moving it in an a slashing action which again shows my characters power.

Taran performed a monologue from the play “Romeo and Juliet” from which he played the character Romeo. He showed effective characterisation in a way to make his character as believable as a person whom has just lost his lover and also to make the audience feel empathy for his character, he did this through his use of facial expressions in his performance. I also showed effective characterisation through my facial expressions, using clear, complex and multi-dimensional emotions during my monologue. In Elizabethan society, people were desperate for a definition of love. To experience it was one thing, but to understand it was another. Shakespeare attempted to answer this question through several of his sonnets and plays but some may argue that he knew nothing of love. Taran says the line “O true apothecary! Thy drugs are quick. Thus with a kiss I die.” I say the line “Wherefore should I stand in the plague of custom, and permit the curiosity of nations to deprive me?” As Taran says his line, his facial expressions show a feeling of pain and anguish, not only because he has just drunk poison but also because he has come to the full realization that he is going to die as well, like his lover, or so he thinks. As I say my line, I look long fully into the audience looking for understanding and empathy from them, as I believe that I am not as low in society as I am made out to be, my facial expressions show a look of confusion and frustration to what I am saying.

My poster is constructed in a way to show the main theme of my monologue which is power, I chose a red font for the lettering as to represent blood because that is the length that Edmund will go to so that he can gain power and recognition. Also, the picture that I have used is also a representation of power that is the crown. A significant image portraying royalty, power and status, everything that Edmund longs for so much. Shakespeare had a strong sense of ultimate justice. The bad guys get their retribution in the end, though frequently the good and innocent suffer due to the wrongdoing of the villains (for example Lady Macduff and her children who are murdered in Macbeth). And then there's a third category - those who have their moral faults but suffer more for them than they seem to deserve – (for example King Lear is foolish and rash but doesn't deserve to be so badly treated by his ungrateful daughters).

In conclusion, I believe that the Year 11 Drama Class performed their individual monologues successfully. I enjoyed the freedom that this task brought to the actor, allowing them to make their own verbal, non-verbal and character decisions based on their knowledge and understanding of the character.
© Copyright 2008 reece! (reeceb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1445168-Elizabethan-Monologues