*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1445872-A-Sons-Request
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1445872
Chapter 1 explores the relationship between the father and son characters of this story.
Chapter I

A Son's Request

The sun was relentless and amplified by the lack of shade in the large field. Thom was casually leaning on a cane as he watched his son plow the land from the comfort of his shaded porch.

Looking out Thom could no longer see the little boy who used to run up and jump into his arms. The young man in the field was covered with sweat and caked-on dirt.

Almost as if he felt his father’s eyes upon him Kaidon stopped plowing and dragged a dirty sleeve across his face. Using his hand to shade against the sun he looked toward the house.

“Come eat Dinner Kaidon!” The deep voice cut through the thick air of late summer.

With a shake of his head, Kaidon gave a quick dismissive wave of his hand and continued to plow.

"Now, Boy!” Thom yelled “Don’t make me say it again!” He watched his son stroll to the barn with the horse.

A small chuckle could be heard coming from in the house. Walking inside the click of Thom’s cane echoed off the walls. He glared at his wife while tasting the stew hanging over the hearth. Nyna shrugged innocently, her bright green eyes still laughing.

Nyna continued cooking dinner and said, "Thom we need to tell him why he can't go."

Thom gave his typical response "It is none of his concern, and it never will be.”

As Thom set the table for dinner he mumbled "Besides, he is not nearly grown enough, and we need him here on the farm."

Taking a seat he waited for Nyna’s response. "He’s not a child any longer. As much as we want him to be, he's not." Her voice softened. "He deserves to know the truth."

To Thom’s relief, Kaidon walked through the door halting any further discussion.

Nyna yelled “Emma, Come eat!” Taking her seat across from Thom.

“After dinner I need you to feed the animals.” Thom said to his son. Kaidon took his seat at the table ignoring his father.

The thumps of fast and hard falling feet could suddenly be heard on the stairs as Emalyn entered the room. She sat at the table as the family began eating.

Emayln spoke between bites of her food. "Kaidon you were in the field all day and you promised to practice archery with me."

Kaidon looked at his father as he spoke “I’m sorry Emma I really wanted to finish today”

“Kaidon you shouldn’t work so hard, perhaps tomorrow you can take the day off?” said Nyna.

Ignoring his mother Kaidon stopped eating, "I've been thinking about it father. I know how you feel, but I'm going to the Magi tower to become a Ranger."

Thom sighed, "You're too young. We've already discussed this Kaidon." He tried hard to ignore Nyna’s piercing gaze of disapproval.

Kaidon responded "Jorah's father is allowing him to go and he is six months younger then me. Not to mention I hunt, trap, and track better than he does!"

Thom put his fork down with an angry clank. "Jorah's father has no sense about him if you ask me. He's sending a child into a lion's den!"

Kaidon stood and started to leave. "That’s just it father.” He stopped at the door. “I'm no longer a child. I'm going to the Magi Tower, and you can't stop me."

Thom watched as his son left the house, not knowing how to respond. Turning to her daughter Nyna said “Emma why don’t you go on outside for a bit.”

Staring at her father Emalyn asked, "Are you alright Dad?"

Thom responded, "Yes Hun, don’t worry.”

Thom sat hunched over the table while Nyna cleared the plates. His trance was broken when she dropped a wooden bucket next to his feet. "Could you take this out to the dogs?"

Thom looked up at his wife. "Wha...?" He tried to clear his thoughts. "Oh. Alright."

Bracing herself against his chair Nyna said "Thom, he deserves to know the truth."

Thom looked down at his cane while he got up from the table. "Deserves to know what exactly?" he looked into her eyes. "That his life could be in danger, that he’s the son of an outcast, or perhaps that his father’s a coward who turned his back on the very same guild he wants to join?"

Nyna embraced him and "No Thom. That he is the son of a Ranger."

Thom carefully backed away and picked up the bucket "The less he knows the better. He wouldn’t understand.” He grabbed a lantern as he left the house.

Thom took a deep breath as he stepped into the cool night air. He approached the barn and pushed open the double doors. All the animals had been feed. Even angry he completes his chores. He placed the bucket near the dogs food bowl.

Leaning on his cane Thom slowly stretched and looked up into the dark recesses of the loft. Nyna’s right, he deserves the truth. He worked his way up a ladder.

Walking toward the back of the loft he stopped just shy of the wall. Using his cane he pushed aside some loose straw on the floor revealing a small hole. Placing his cane in the hole he pressed down until he heard a soft click.

The sound of a latch releasing and a piece of wood moving could be heard near the barn wall. Thom slowly sat down next to the disjointed floorboard. Using his cane as a brace he propped open the cache.

Inside was an assortment of clothing and weapons, most of which had not been disturbed in over a decade. Thom stared at the items with remorse. He could close his eyes and recite the contents with ease. The Ranger garb was at one point a source of pride and honor.

Placing the lantern near the lip of the cache he pulled out a leather backpack. He crouched near the lantern as he opened it. Inside was a jumble of travel supplies. Looking for a specific item he pushed aside his Shaded Cloak and cooking utensils. He used his sense of touch more then his eyes to find the object deep within the backpack.

With a triumphant grunt he pulled a small book from the cluttered bag. The letters, RG could barely be seen on the cover.

"Rangers Guild" Thom whispered. He ran his fingers down one side of the book. Feeling a slight bulge near the binding a shudder ran down his spine.

Thom slipped the book inside a hidden pocket of his tunic. He replaced the backpack and retrieved his cane. Standing up he gently pressed down on the cache lid until he felt the latch take hold.

Thom picked up the lantern and started back to the house. He felt renewed, and for the first time in years his leg stopped throbbing. I only wish I knew how to contact Landis.

© Copyright 2008 Fancybrew (iyce at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1445872-A-Sons-Request