*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1446430-The-boy-with-no-name
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Dark · #1446430
The arrest of 'no name', given from the view of a reporter and four other people involved.
{color:brown}
                          THE BOY WITH NO NAME

          As told by the four tenants mentioned in the court case of 'the boy' in '91





Whenever the boy downstairs came home from work, everyone knew. The first clue, Ms.Darlin was heard to say, was that the apartment beneath hers was flooded with the sounds of the young one's laughter; an oddly soft and sweet sound for the frightening creature the complex had come to call him by. The second clue, Ms.Darlins downstairs neighbour was heard to say, was the fact that the mail box beside his would be smashed open, followed by a sigh and a soft click when it was empty. The third clue, Ms.Darlins neighbour to the left would be said to say, was that the most eerie humming would occur before hand, ringing through the hallways with tunes like hallelujah and funeral hymns. The fourth clue, perhaps the largest, the big burly man that lived directly across the hall from the boy was heard to say, was that the scent of rusted iron wafted from the childs door, a scent so strong that even his eyes watered.

                                  Now, all four of them had known for a long time there was something up with that child. Something different. There was no getting past it, to be truthful. Up until the moment the child had arrived, half naked and shivering with pockets full of money and an unusually large rucksack on his back, this neighbourhood had been a peaceful one. One of those which you would go to when you wanted that new suburbian side of apartment life, or needed a peaceful getaway from the thick city streets below. But months after that child had arrived things had begun to happen, things which the residents in that old apartment building on ivy avenue just could not ignore.


                        The most frightening of all was the woman found with the latin word for repent carved into her skin, her eyes vacant as a smile twisted her lips. She had seemed as if she had seen an angel, or as if god had come down and graced her in her moment of death. Whether the killer had twisted her lips that way or she had smiled of her own accord the police refused to say, not knowing that by ommitting the facts they made the murder sound all the more gruesome. It was this which had triggered the four to actually do something, instead of just wondering and guessing as to what it was that boy was doing down there.

                          Ms.Darlin had been the one to have the idea, and so she got to go first. She had knocked on the door three times,and tried to make her shrill, shrill voice sound all the more sweeter as she asked if the other could please step out for a moment. For half an hour, she stood there, listening to suspicious wet noises, a yelp, and yet another yell, before the door finnally opened and revealed the occupent to the four occupents of the ivy avenue apartments.The four stood agape, and it took ten tries before even the burly man could speak. When he did, the oddly intelligent eyes had burned into his own, and the burly man was reported to have at that moment stepped towards the boy with his hand outstretched. What could have happened at that moment would forever be unknown, seeing as gentle Ms.Darlin, so frightened by the boy's obviously threatening backpack, slammed her frail fist on the youth's forehead, and knocked him unconscious.

                              The four had never heard about what had happened to the boy when he was taken away. They themselves, due to the contents of the apartment, went their seperate ways, until they all drifted back together for a reunion on the summer of '94.
                      It was at that time when I was able to talk to them about the case of the boy that claimed to have no name, and gather enough information about the circumstances of the arrest to make the article above. The neighbour next door to the young boy was somewhat informative, though he claimed to have repressed his memories of the child murdering people, and to prove his point he began to twitch when the music in the restaurant switched to classical. This man, who has asked to go unnamed, has been since then placed in a facility for those with paranoia and severe schitzophrenia. Ms.Darlin was the second most forthcoming, even supplying me with the rights to use her name in the article. She died a year later from a heart attack triggered by being fired from her job of forty years. Ms.Darlin's neighbour was more subdued, only muttering a bit about how he'd always known the boy was off somehow, and then excusing himself for a drink at the bar. He also asked for his name not to be in the paper.

                      The burly man, as called in the article, was perhaps the most effected in all the string of events. He too requested that his name would not be said, and offered the nickname burly man as a trade for that, one I easily accepted due to his large size. Though he supplied the most information about the boy, and even was willing to talk about the woman with repent carved into her, he was at that time also taking various prescribed pills, and would refuse to call the child by what the court called him. When I asked him to explain why, the burly man took on a remniscent look, and told me,
' He doesn't have a name'
      When I moved to interupt him, he continued on,
'Or some nickname, like, 'boy'. He's called 'no name'. And he's not a boy, neither. He's an angel.'
                        The man was placed in a psychiatric ward earlier this year for attacking another man related to the arrest of 'the boy' with a cross, and he seems to be slowly recovering. As for the boy, while I am unable to gain any information as to where they have him locked up, I can assure the public that he will never again roam the streets, thanks to the heroic valor of those four citizens.

See B10 for further news on local crime.

© Copyright 2008 Uzu-kun (aimhope at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1446430-The-boy-with-no-name