*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1447013-Things-Happen-Chapter-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Novel · Other · #1447013
a girl meets a guy at her new school
Chapter 3

         Somehow I had failed to notice him when I had walked in the classroom. He was perched on top of a desk in the far right corner with a bunch of guys around him. They were busy laughing and talking so luckily, Nat didn't notice me when I had walked in the classroom. I went down the aisles slowly, dodging the kids who were talking to friends, joking around and walking up and down the rows. As I came closer to Nat and his friends, one of the boys-the same one that had been with him earlier-looked up and saw me. He nudged Nat in the side and motioned to me. I did my best to try and look away, but I wasn't quick enough. He looked up and, obviously, noticed me. I took a seat and turned away, as to not to look at him or any of them.
         "Okay quiet down, class! Take a seat, now." said the teacher over the loud voices. She didn't need to tell the class twice, because the second she had begun to speak, students were already rushing to their desks, including the boys around Nat. Nat got of the desk and sat down in the chair spot.          Class began, with the teacher introducing herself and like the other, explaining the rules she had in her class. We spent the whole class period copying down notes on some important dates. This was supposed to be in preparation for an exam we were due to have in about two weeks or so. This teacher was obviously very strict, so I made a mental note to never be late or get on her bad side. As we were doing this activity, I couldn’t help but to steal quick glances at Nat. Every time I looked though, I would see him looking directly at me. So much for being discreet. I wanted now nothing more than to get out of this class. I just hoped i didn’t have him for anymore classes...
         Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
         The teacher looked up from the whiteboard to the clock. Outside the door, the sounds of laughter and voices filled the hallway as students were dismissed.
         “You’re dismissed.” Said the teacher stiffly, turning back to us. We all sprang from our chairs and directly to the door. I gathered my things as quickly as possible and made my way to the door with my eyes down, to avoid and eye contact with Nat, even if I was risking getting bumped into.
         “Hey, wait up!” said a voice behind me as I walked out onto the hallway. I paused and turned around slowly, cringing as I thought of whom that voice could belong to. There stood Nat a couple of feet away from me with a smile on his face.
         “Nat, right?” I asked as he neared me. He nodded, the small smile turning into a big smile as he saw that I remembered. There’s just no way I could forget him.
         “And you’re Emily, right?” he asked. Well.
         “Nope.” I said and with that I continued walking on.
         “What do you mean, no?” he asked, catching up to me.  I stopped and turned to face him.
         “That you are wrong.” I said, crossing my arms. His expression showed pure confusion.
         “But, I heard the teacher call you Emily.” He said.
         “Well then, she’s wrong too.” I said, starting to walk off again. He quickly came in my direction, blocking my way.
         “So then what is your name?” he asked, this time him crossing his arms. I gave him a small smile as an idea came to my head.
         “I’ll tell you,” His face lit up. “If you show me the way to the Math class because you made me get lost.” I finished biting back the urge to giggle. Nat smiled.
         “Okay, deal.” We continued walking, Nat leading the way. There was sort of an awkward silence between us.
         “Emma.” I said after a few moments. He turned as he heard the sound of my voice.
         “What?” he asked.
         “I go by Emma, short for Emily.” I said. Nat smiled.
         “So I was right!” he exclaimed happily. I raised my eyebrows.
         “Whatever.” We walked for a bit more and then Nat stopped.
         “This is the Math class.” He said, gesturing to a door behind us.
         “Thanks.” I walked towards the classroom, door. I noticed that Nat didn’t leave; he stayed rooted to the same spot, watching me. Before going in though, I turned and said with a smile, “I guess I’ll see you around later, seeing how I always manage to see you.” I let out a giggle as Nat’s cheeks went slightly pink. Just then the bell rang.
         “You probably should go now. I wouldn’t want you getting into trouble because of me.” I said, looking around to see everyone rush to their classes. He looked around too and then nodded.
         “Ya...um...well-“
         “Bye?” I finished for him. He nodded again, now blushing furiously. I laughed again and turned to go inside. I managed to slip in without the teacher noticing I was sort of late. I looked around and then saw Sam sitting at the back. She waved at me, motioning for me to go sit with her. I smiled and made my way over there. There were some girls grouped around in the middle of the aisle, all whispering excitedly and not even bothering to notice that I was standing there trying to get through.
         “Um...excuse me?” I said. They all turned and eyed me dismissively. One of the girls, a girl with dark blue eyes narrowed at me and light brown hair, perfectly straightened, looked me in the eye and said in a superior tone, “Who are you?” I shifted uncomfortably, I had a bad feeling about this girl, and mumbled, “Err...I’m new here.” That seemed to relax the girl. She smiled sweetly, to nice for the likes of her, and extended a hand.
         “Oh...then I’m Brianna.” She said, waiting for me to shake her hand. I did so and said, “Emma.” Just then another girl spoke up.
         “We noticed you were talking to Nat.” This caught the girl named Brianna’s attention.
         “You were?” she asked, as if shocked.
         “Um...Well technically, no. He only showed me to this classroom-“I began. Her eyes were once again narrowed, piercingly.
         “Don’t talk to him.” She said menacingly.
         “Wait, what?” I asked, not comprehending,
         “Don’t talk to him.” She said slowly and deliberately. “Don’t even bother to try and talk to him; hang out with him or anything. Because he’s mine.” I raised my eyebrow.
         “What do you mean he’s yours?”
         “That Nat’s going out with her.” Said another girl, as if it were the most apparent thing in the world. Brianna looked over to her and nodded.
         “Yea. So don’t think you have a chance with him, because like I said, he’s mine.” She said turning her attention back to me. And with that they all stormed away to go somewhere else, leaving me standing there confused. Nat’s going out with someone? I shook the thought away and continued walking over to Sam, who was waiting patiently for me.
         “Hey.” She said as I neared her. I looked up and gave her a weak smile. I sat down and didn’t say anything else.
         “Are you alright?” she asked. I looked up again and said as cheerful as I could, “Oh yea, never better.” But I wasn’t alright. I felt completely foolish and like an idiot.
© Copyright 2008 nbblover (nbbluver at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1447013-Things-Happen-Chapter-3