*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1447293-Things-Happen-Chapter-5
Rated: E · Novel · Fanfiction · #1447293
a girl meets a guy at her new school
Chapter 5

         "Do you mind if I sit here?" Sam, Katie and I looked up simultaneously. Nat was standing there with a hopeful look. He didn't have a plate or anything, maybe he had already eaten.
         "Sure." Katie said.
         "No problem." added Sam. Nat looked over to me, as if waiting for my answer.
         "Uh...yea, go ahead." He smiled.
         "Thanks." he said, taking a seat next to me.
         "So what made you come over here for a change instead of being with your friends?" asked Sam. It was Thursday, four days since my first day of school here.
         "She came over." he said in an annoyed voice. He caught my eye but I quickly looked away. A noticed that we were getting dirty looks from Brianna and her friends, so I turned to Nat and whispered, "They're looking over here." He looked up and turned to me, "Eh...I couldn't care less. Come on, let's go walk around, I don't like being watched." He stood up and took my hand, leaving Katie and Sam behind to talk to some other girls. As soon as we were outside, I let go of Nat's hand. As much as I wanted to hold it, I didn't want to risk any awkwardness. We walked around for awhile, just talking mainly about things that interested us both. I found we had a lot in common, and I also found that Nat was sort of funny, despite what many people had told me about him. The bell rang, and Nat decided to walk me to class, even though we had the same class next.
         "No offense, but I'm getting afraid." I said, looking around. Nat turned to me.
         "Why?"
         "Everywhere I look, I see Brianna or one of her friends watching me like if they're angry or something." I said, biting my nail. Nat let out a laugh.
         "Don't pay attention to them. They're just mad because I want you to be my friend and not them." He said with a small smile.
         "You do?" I asked surprised. He nodded and we continued walking.
         "Hey look, there's Sam!" I said, spotting Sam standing by the wall. "I'm gonna go with Sam, okay?"
         "You are? Okay then." Said Nat, sounding as if... disappointed? I walked over to Sam, who immediately began talking to me eagerly. I couldn't help but to wonder, if I was starting to like Nat more than a friend or just as a friend. I shook the thought away, and paid full attention to Sam.

         Weeks passed by swimmingly. I was starting to become more like best friends with Katie and Sam, who were so much fun and awesome to hang out with. And Nat was also becoming more of a close friend now, seeing as to how he was always trying to talk to me, and now knew more about me than anyone in this whole school. He was starting to pay more attention to me than to anyone else, and at times it'd become sort of annoying but in a good way.
         One Monday afternoon, after lunch, Sam and I walked into English alone. Usually Nat would be following or trying to interrupt our conversations, but today I hadn't talked to him the whole day, and at lunch he hadn't come and sit with us or at least join us afterwards like he usually did.
         "You so have to come to my house again. That was so much fun on Saturday." Sam said. I smiled and said, "Yea, maybe next time Katie will be able to come." Sam nodded and began saying something when the bell rang.
         "Come on, we better not be late. I heard the teacher's really strict on tardiness, and I'd rather not find out firsthand." Sam said, pulling my arm. We went inside and breezed by the front to somewhere around the middle. We took a seat and began whispering, making plans for another ay to go to each other's house. The teacher still hadn't arrived so everyone else was also talking. A few minutes passed by and then out of the corner of my eye, I saw Nat walk in. He glanced around and then went straight to the back, where he took out a notebook and began writing.
         "Emma?" asked Sam, snapping her fingers. I blinked in surprise and turned.
         "What?" I asked. Sam studied me for a while before turning to where I had been looking.
         "What were you looking at?"  She asked curiously.
         "Nothing" I quickly replied. She continued looking, so I turned to and pretended to look with her. A head moved, allowing perfect view of Nat. Sam gave a small gasp and then turned back to me with a shocked expression.
         "Oh my gosh! Were you looking at Nat?"  she whispered. I was slowing turning pink even though I denied the fact.
         "No! Why would I want to look at that?" I said in a jokingly manner. A smile grew on Sam's face but she didn't get to respond because at that moment the teacher walked in.
         "Sorry I'm late." He said, putting down some papers on his desk. "Okay settle down, class." He said, looking around the room. Everyone was quiet and sitting down now, eyes front.
         "Okay let's get started on today's lesson. For today we shall begin working on a new unit in our textbook. And to begin  it, we shall start-" He strode across the room to the board and rolled up a map, revealing instructions written beneath it.
         "-a project." he finished. There were several groans emitted from students as they read what was written. I looked up too and began reading.
         You will work together with a chosen partner and will analyze the various types of writings by William Shakespeare. Then you will select one play and turn it into a modern version.
         "But I have some good news." said the teacher. "I will allow you to choose your own partners." There were a few cheers from some students as they looked around to pick their partners. Sam turned excitedly to me and mouthed, partners? I nodded and smiled.
         "We shall do it in a formal way though. Let's start in the back. Nathaniel?" he said, gesturing to the back.          Everyone turned to face Nat, who was busy still writing into his notebook, deep in thought.  Around me, many girls began flashing him smiles and hopeful looks, desperate to catch his attention.
         "Nathaniel?" asked the teacher again. This time Nat looked up. He had a surprised expression and he said, "Huh?"
         "Choose your partner." repeated the teacher.
                Nat stood up and surveyed the room. He ignored all the other people and his eyes fell on me. His eyes lit up and he quickly said, "Emma." The teacher crossed him arms and gave him a look.
         "Err. Emily." rephrased Nat. The teacher smiled and uncrossed his arms.
         "Very well. Emily, go with Nat." I was in shock. I stood up quietly and took my stuff, pausing only to give Sam and apologetic look. I walked over to Nat who had once again began writing. He didn't even bother to look as I sat down next to him until I had slammed my book on the desk. He looked up surprised and quickly closed the notebook, as if not wanting me to see what he had written, making me begin to wonder.

                                              Please rate and review! thanks! =)
                                                     
© Copyright 2008 nbblover (nbbluver at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1447293-Things-Happen-Chapter-5