*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1447786-Chapters-12-of-I-Am-the-Sea
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Teen · #1447786
First two chapters of the new novel I'm starting. R&R please, feedback VERY important! :)
~ Chapter One ~

              I bowed, as was expected.  I did not meet his eyes, as was expected.  I held my breath until he passed, as was expected.  But expectation had no hold over my heart.  And from that first moment, when my eyes alighted upon him, I loved him.
         His name was Valand, and he had been King of Tristania for nearly four years.  He lived at Castle Pyra in Tristania City, along with his Court and many others of noble blood.  Strangely, his father and mother were both living.  However, in their many years Tristania had flourished greatly, so they shrugged tradition and retired to a modest manor outside of the royalties they wished to escape.  Since their reign had been so successful, the people graciously ignored the scandal, fully accepting young Valand as the new ruler.
         The rest of his family consisted of a young sister and a twin brother.  His sister was only seven years of age, but she already held a title, the Marquise of Drumont.  His brother, having been born mere minutes after Valand, became the Duke of Hillshaeffer.  Gossip said that he resented his brother for inheriting the crown, though he seemed only reserved and unseen at public affairs.
         But enough about the royal family.  This is my tale after all, and I seem to have gotten far ahead of myself, so let us begin where it began.
         I received a Letter of Summons from my cousin, Katrine of Bellon, daughter of my father’s brother.  Their family was higher in nobility than ours and she lived with my uncle in Castle Pyra as he served on King Valand’s Court.  They had arranged this so as to find her a suitable husband, which is precisely why she had called for me.  My father surely had a similar plan in his head when he told me I was to indeed join her in Tristania City, though he swore it was simply to support her during her courtship.  Therefore, I packed my best dresses, including the lavish ball gown my father ordered from overseas just for my time with royalty, and headed for the royal palace.
         My stay was to last a year, as was customary.  A lady may only see her betrothed in the presence of her mother or sister-unless at a royal and public affair-for the year long engagement, but seeing as she had neither, I was her closest relative.  Of course, we had been as close as sisters in childhood, so it had always been expected that I would be her accompaniment when she found her husband-to-be.
         A carriage had been sent for me by my uncle, and it was splendid, though completely superfluous.  However, I did not protest as the coachman and two royal servants placed my things in a compartment beneath the cabin.  We commenced as I waved farewell to my mother and father, knowing that it would be an entire year before I would see them again.  At that time, Katrine would be getting married.  I sighed, dreading the time I would spend in Tristania City already.
The journey had been two long nights on the road.  I had slept on the bench in the carriage as the coachman and two women slept on cots on the ground.  I offered for them to join me in the coach, but they refused, insisting they enjoyed it out in the night air.  Frustrated, I fell asleep with thoughts of the awful memories I had of Castle Pyra. 
Shortly after noon we came within sight of our destination.  Although unladylike, I thrust my head out of the coach window in order to watch as we approached the gates.  By then I was quite excited to get out and see my cousin, my previous unhappiness being dwarfed by the uncomfortable carriage and lack of conversation.
         An hour later we finally passed into Tristania City.  It rattled down the long stone road, which led a perfectly straight path through the royal city, right to the castle gates.  I marveled, my jaw hanging wide, at the enormous manors, street shops, and the oval marketplace in the center of the city.  And the people!  I’d never seen such a vast array of jostling bodies, children running through the streets, or parents shopping, or the shopkeepers tending to their products.  I couldn’t imagine living with so little privacy, and my wariness returned.  I already yearned for home and I hadn’t even stepped foot inside the castle.
         At last we drudged our way through the throng, me sitting in the carriage and feeling completely ridiculous.  Why could I not simply ride my Avalia?  She would have carried me much quicker than the contraption I sat pouting in.  The constant bombardment of noise through the windows put me on edge, and I was thoroughly tested by the time we reached Castle Pyra.
         The large stone façade of the bridge loomed closer, a wonderful sight, yet I settled for simply watching as we passed, a much more acceptable form of viewing.  The shimmering silver gates were intricately patterned, with curves and angles that were not symmetrical, yet they seemed to match perfectly.  I was drawn in; completely entranced by the swirling directions the metals were forged to.  I knew that this would not be the last time I spent time gazing into the labyrinth, and I imagined myself sitting at my window and gazing at these marvels.
         We clattered over the long white bridge which marked a near close to our ride, my nerves beginning to tingle.  I was slightly fearful of setting foot into Castle Pyra, for I knew that it would fully mark my leave from home.  However, I managed to hold my head high as the carriage rolled to a halt, and I stepped out into the fresh air of the royal courtyard.  I did not gasp at the enormous piers and towers, did not stop to stare at the windows which seemed to stretch to the clouds, and did not seem to marvel at how intricately beautiful everything was.  Castle Pyra was absolutely breathtaking, but I made no sign I noticed.  I put on what I believed to be a bored expression, attempting carelessness.  I did not want to act impressed with what was clearly the most amazing sight I had ever seen.
              I was pointlessly helped to the large wooden doors that towered above me by the servants that had escorted me to the castle.  I wondered how anyone could ever open them.  But I was surprised once again as two burly men in fancy servant wear heaved the doors open for me, and I, accompanied by my suddenly present entourage of assistance, stepped inside. 
              My mask of nonchalance fell immediately.  As I stepped into the cavernous entrance hall, I felt the full impact of my ‘farm nobility.’  Not only the aristocrats who roamed the floor were flawless, but their reflections in the polished marble they walked on were flawless as well.
              I was swept into the river of bodies, each face as unforgettable as the next, dipping and spinning around, being pulled in all directions.  The men were incredibly handsome and the women hopelessly attractive.  I suddenly became self conscious of my own mediocre appearance.  However, I travelled on, hoping to make my way to a more restive part of the castle, hoping that there was at least someplace quieter than this.  I finally managed to escape the bustle and made my way with my dutiful servants to my cousin, whom I saw standing in a doorway to the left.
              I remembered her as an ecstatic person, but she seemed like the sun with her glowing face and sparkling eyes.  She was truly the happiest person in the world, and I could tell simply by glancing at her.  As I passed the final eddy in the chaotic entrance hall, she swept me up in her arms, and we spun around like children.  Suddenly being in a room full of nobility did not seem like a chore.
              Her golden hair shined as she stepped back, a full grin monopolizing her features.
              “Darling,” I said, smiling back, pinching her blushing cheeks like our fathers’ sister, the dreaded aunt we had always made fun of.  We dissolved into giggles, arms locked tight as she babbled on, telling me about the castle and Randley and her horse and Randley and my room and Randley and the King and Randley…I offered my gasps and laughs and awe struck expressions at all the correct times as she swept me to my room, never giving me a chance to breathe.
              “This are your quarters; you have your own wash room and everything!  A complete chamber for every guest here at Castle Pyra,” she said in mock inform, her drawl resembling a tour guide.  We fell onto my new bed, struck yet again with the debilitating effects of females in laughter.
                Still giggling, she rose and sighed.
              “I’m deeply sorry, Avalia, but I’m to be fitted for a new ball gown in half an hour.  I wish I could give you a tour myself, but would it be acceptable for Randley to give you a tour?”  She unconsciously brightened at his name, but I stifled a remark on that fact.  “I know he was just so excited to meet you when I told him that my childhood favorite was to come and be our accompaniment!  I’ll introduce you now, he was told to wait at my room, therefore I could show you at least that much of this magnificent place.”
              I sighed as I was swept up again, the stories continuing about she and her betrothed, whom I would apparently love from the moment I met him, and she threw in muddled directions, pointing out landmarks which would help me to remember the way to her chambers.
              At a beautiful portrait of a king in glimmering golden armor, Katrine stopped and sighed.
              “Who is it?” I asked, curious about the handsome blonde with unforgettable azure eyes.
              She smiled, pleased that I had taken notice.  “This is Rorren, King of Mersyn.  He is a character in a famous book written long ago in Tristania, though no one remembers who it was.  It’s a popular tale which everyone in Castle Pyra knows by heart, and you would simply be the outcast if you did not read it yourself!  It’s a wonderful story of friendship and secrets, magic and power, and above all, love.  You can find it in the library, which I’m sure Randley will show you.”
              At the reminder of our mission, we were off yet again, taking the hall to the right of the painting.  Finally we took the only left of our journey into a final hallway, and at a door exactly like mine stood Randley.
              Katrine’s betrothed was tall, slender, with wild hair that swept below his chin.  He seemed awkward and uncomfortable, but his blue eyes were kind.  And I knew it would not be long before we were fast friends.
              “Randley, this is my cousin, Avalia of Len.”
              I curtsied, and he made the appropriate incline of his head, his light brown locks obscuring his face from view.  I suppressed a giggle as Katrine continued.
              “And Avalia, this is my betrothed, Randley of Hillshaeffer.”
He bowed and I smiled with my replying nod as his hair seemed to cover his entire head.  He appeared to be very good humored and I was suddenly eager for the tour to begin.  I was sure that speaking with him would be an interesting experience indeed.
              “I trust you shall give Avalia a proper tour of the castle?” said Katrine, reaching for his hand.  He gingerly took it, smiling intently at her as she gave him directions.  “Be sure to include the essentials, such as the dining halls we shall use, the library, the ballroom, and if you would, the stables.  If I remember my dear cousin as well as I ought, she will not last a week without riding.”
              She winked at me while gently brushing her hand up Randley’s arm, attempting to make it discreet, yet his crimson cheeks made it all the more obvious.  The three of us exchanged bows as she retreated into her room.  Her departure left a gap, one with I immediately filled by talking, trying to put Randley at ease.
              “Katrine has written me so many things about you!  She said you truly enjoy being on the King’s Court.  I’m curious: what is life like here for you, being in such a noble position?”
              That sparked a hearty conversation as we treaded a winding and more than confusing tour of the castle, of which I saw many parts more than twice.  He seemed not to be able to decide which path to take, methodically changing his mind with every turn.  I just smiled, listening to the tales of his days in Castle Pyra, how all of the balls were splendid with Katrine and every occasion an excuse to spend time with her.  He thanked me countless times for being their accompaniment, and all I could do was repeatedly assure him that it was my pleasure.
              And to my surprise, I found I truly did enjoy the prospect of spending time in this new world.  I found Randley interesting, and I loved my cousin dearly, so I could not see how spending time with two people I cared for could be a burden.
As we passed through the library, as large as every other room in the spectacular palace, I noted that all of the books were in excellent condition.  I commented on this, and Randley nodded.
              “King Valand treasures this library, just as his parents did.  The entire family enjoys reading, and if you happen to run into the King’s sister, she will no doubt retell tales until the next morning comes.  The Marquise seems quite fond of reading to others, so count yourself properly warned.”
              “I will,” I said, thinking that I would probably enjoy being read to once in awhile.  Then the sight of another small portrait of the king in golden armor reminded me of a question I had planned on asking.
              “Katrine told me of a tale about the King of Mersyn.  I will apparently become the dread of the kingdom if I do not read it, so I wondered if you could tell me where I might find it.”
              Randley nodded, clearly happy that I intended to begin the story.  He graciously took me straight to the right shelf, weaving through the endless and intricately carved shelves which filled the vast room.  At last we reached a shelf filled with copies of the fabled book, and he picked one up and handed it to me.  The one he chose was bound in brown leather with the picture of an exquisitely crafted sword on it.  The blade of the weapon was of a highly polished metal with a delicate golden hilt inlayed with red jewels.  I turned the book from side to side, and the drawing seemed to come alive, the colors catching the light and sending sparkling rays of color dancing across my face.
              “It’s so beautiful!” I exclaimed, continuing to marvel at the cover.  The binding was old, smooth with wear.
              Randley smiled.  “Those are the same pages I read as a child when I first came here, and also the same ones I handed to Katrine when she declared Castle Pyra her new home.  This book has been around for ages, and many think it was the first one written, though no one knows for sure.  Now, our scribes have rewritten it, making it more legible and translating some of the old language, but I enjoyed this one much more.”  He smiled awkwardly, and I giggled at his face.
              I was glad he had shared this with me, and felt that our friendship had already begun with this special offering.  I thanked him, and we continued onward, the book held safely in my arms.

~ Chapter Two ~

         By my first dinner in Castle Pyra, I was completely exhausted.  I was also starving.
         Katrine had met up with Randley and me, just as we were passing the library for the third time, Randley still undecided on whether or not to show me the stables first, or if we ought to make our way to the observatory next.  She laughed, apologizing for not showing me around herself, but I argued that I had sincerely enjoyed the time, and Randley laughed, pleased that I had thought so much of his tour.
         Turning around, the three of us walked to a small dining room which was unoccupied.  Katrine explained that since she had not introduced me to any of their friends yet, it was improper for me to dine with them.  I was glad, for I did not wish to fill the evening with chatter.  I needed sleep, my day having been hectic enough without new acquaintances keeping me from my chambers.
         With a stifled yawn, I looked around me.  The room was small in comparison to the others I had glimpsed, the round table only seating four, yet it was still much more tasteful than any hall in my own home.  I sighed, wishing I could lay my head on the table as I had as a child.  I simply wished to eat my fill, then make my way up to my quiet and empty room.
But then the scent wafted in my direction, and I was willingly shaken from my reverie.  Without saying a word, Katrine had somehow summoned our food, three servants bringing out trays of delicious looking food.  I saw a hearty soup, a tray filled with many kinds of meats, and my mouth watered at the sight of a many layered cake.
         One servant came around and filled our goblets with a clear wine, and I sighed.  I did not wish to offend Katrine or Randley, but I certainly had never had wine for dinner before.  I decided that perhaps it would be better not to drink it at all.  However, I was saved when a second round of glasses was brought, filled with water.  At that point I began to devour the food.
         The meal was indescribable, the only word close enough to reality being perfection.  Every item was cooked with care, and I desired much more than my stomach would allow.  I continued to gorge long after Katrine and Randley had set their utensils aside.  They laughed at me, telling me I reminded them of themselves when they had first arrived.
         “Trust me, after the first month it will taste like home,” Katrine told me, handing me another leg of lamb.  I did not believe her.  I couldn’t fathom not sitting at the dining room doors simply waiting for dinner to begin.  I hoped beyond hopes that tomorrow’s breakfast and lunch would be equally irresistible.
         Stuffed to the brim with eyes nearly closed, we trudged our way up the stairs towards our chambers.  I laid one hand on the ornate banister in order to retain my balance if I happened to fall asleep on my feet.  I had a feeling I would dream of chocolate cake every night I spent in the castle.
         I barely remember falling into bed, but I do know I slept deeply, for I did not dream as I had thought.  I was awoken by a servant, the sun assaulting my eyes as I tried to snap to awareness.
As I stepped onto the cold floor, my servant handed me a letter sent by Katrine alerting me of two events: the first being lunch, to be served in an hour.  And the second was a ball, held that evening at eight o’clock.
         I was not yet awake enough to handle such news.  My heart sputtered, mind racing to review all of the dancing steps I had learned.  I whispered a prayer that no unknown dances would be thrust upon me.  Humiliation would not be the proper way to begin my time at Castle Pyra.  But fear soon turned to intrigue as I realized I would at last meet King Valand, a character which Katrine had spoken highly of.  Also, his brother, Duke of Hillshaeffer, would of course be present, and Katrine had mentioned him as well.  She said him to be just as gruff and sour as rumors tell.  She had also talked of many other suitors, referring me to this one or that, and I was eager to begin my tryst with flirting.
         Sorry that I had missed the chance to experience breakfast in the castle on my first morning, I washed and dressed, waving off the servants that insisted on assisting me with my morning routine.  I was ready with twenty minutes to spare, so I decided to head for Katrine’s room, hoping to walk with her down to lunch.
         I managed the first hall with ease, but by the next I was hopelessly lost.  I asked a servant sitting near a door if he could kindly point me in the direction of the painting with the King of Mersyn, but instead she jumped up and led me all the way to Katrine’s room.  I thanked her many times, but she blushed and insisted that it was her duty.  She hurried back the way she had come, and I trusted I could find Katrine’s quarters on my next venture thanks to her accurate directions.
         A few minutes after the servant made her way back down the hallway, Randley stepped up next to me.  I curtsied, and he returned it with a bow.
         “Good afternoon, Avalia,” he said with a smile.
         “And a good afternoon to you, Randley.  How did you know I would be here?”  I hoped he had known I would appear, for if he had come without my presence, it would be a scandal indeed had he been seen with my cousin.  Any couple caught without their accompaniment forfeited their right to wed, and were relentlessly and mercilessly gossiped about for years.  Even such innocence as walking Katrine to lunch would probably result in Randley’s removal from Valand’s Court.
         “The servant who led you here happened to be mine,” he said beaming.  “Just my luck, it seems.  I miss the opportunity of seeing her so often now that we’re betrothed.  I appreciate you coming here more than you know.”
         I laughed, thinking how silly it was that he should thank me so often.  She was my favorite cousin after all, and I would do anything for her.  And I truly had begun to enjoy my duty, thinking back on the outrageous tour I had been given yesterday.  Gaining a friend such as Randley was certainly something I looked forward to.
         Just then, Katrine appeared in her doorway, looking radiant.  She grinned at me, but when she caught sight of Randley, a flood of happiness washed over her that I still was not accustomed to.  This time, I could not help myself.  I laughed at the two of them, how simply walking with each other could send them into such a state.  Shaking my head, giggles still billowing from my mouth, I followed them as they took off without a second glance my way.
         As we weaved through the confusing maze of hallways, descending two sets of stairs, I began to get my bearings.  I recognized certain paintings and statues, and I realized that two turns would lead me to the library, or going back the other way could take me to the stables.  I was thrilled that I could at least find my two favorite spots if I had a mind to, yet quite surprised that I had gleaned even the slightest information from Randley’s scattered directions.
         As we entered the vast array of dining halls, people bustling about in all directions, Katrine pulled me aside, suddenly speaking animatedly, too fast for me to understand.  Beside her stood a man around my age, with hair that reminded me of sunlight and kind chocolate eyes.
         “Oh, I’m so glad I found you!  I wanted so badly to introduce you to my cousin yesterday, but I did not see you all day.  I had hoped I would catch you before we were forced to dine alone.  How was your ride yesterday?  I do truly hope that we shall see you at the ball tonight.  What colors are you going to wear?  I heard you were fitted yesterday at the same time as I.  Isn’t the weather just brilliant?”  She paused for the air she undoubtedly needed, then glanced my way and squealed.  “Oh, how silly of me!”  Katrine cleared her throat, and finally gave the proper introductions.
         The man that she had rambled so earnestly with was Evanlawn, another member of Valand’s seemingly endless Court.  Apparently he was one of her best friends at the castle, introduced through Randley.  He seemed good hearted, humorous, and he was quite attractive.  I smiled sweetly, glad I had worn one of my favorite gowns; and by the look on Katrine’s face-let alone the wink she gave me behind his back-I was expected to entice him.  Just like Katrine, the matchmaker as always.
         At last, Katrine’s rein over the conversation ended.  “Come, let’s eat!” Evanlawn declared, his stomach rumbling in agreement.  Struck with laughter, the four of us jumped back into the stream of people.  However, I now had a companion to converse with, saving from an awkward meal.  And from appearances, he seemed quite the conversationalist, though he had not been given much of a chance to speak with my cousin dominating the scene.
         Coming to the same small dining room as the previous evening, we sat; I was between Katrine and Evanlawn, with Randley directly across the table.  I was somewhat dismayed-despite my thrill at my first new acquaintance whom with I could share my thoughts-that I had another audience member whom I needed to behave myself around.  Sadly, that rendered my gorging of the previous evening an option I could not take.  I stared at the irresistible food, the steaming vegetables and succulent beef piled so high I knew that even my appetite could not devour it all.  I yearned to take a bite, but I knew that first the highest ranked noble must take a bite of the food and approve it as fit to eat.  As Evanlawn raised his fork to his mouth, biting off a delicious looking piece of meat, I realized that he must hold a higher place in Court than even Randley.
         “My apologies, but what do you do here in Court, Evanlawn?”  I had enough self control to stop eating long enough to ask a question, but I hoped that his answer would be long enough for me to finish my first plate.
         He laughed, and I gave him a puzzled look.  “I’m not exactly on Court, though his Majesty asks me at least six times a day.  I’m actually an Earl, the Earl of Bellon.  That’s how Katrine and I came to know each other, though Randley and I had already been close friends before she bereaved him of his life.  Oh, my apologies. I meant, before she arrived.”
         Katrine dipped her spoon in her wine and flung it at him, and he dodged it playfully.  They laughed, me included.  But I wondered why Katrine had not introduced him as the Earl of Evanlawn, for if he truly was the royalty of her home province, I would think it important information.  However, I quickly forgot it as we finished our succulent meal and went for a walk in the marvelous garden of Castle Pyra.
         I had always loved spending my days wandering through my mother’s modest garden, reading, penning letters, or mending clothes in the fresh aroma of blooming life.  But our meager growth of flora was like a weed filled expanse of soil compared to the spectacle which grew before me.  I had never witnessed such an array of flowers, nor realized that simple bushes could look so beautiful when trimmed.  There were life-sized sculpted shrubs, depicting full-scale battles, lovers holding hands, beautiful ladies, and mythical creatures.  And near the end, created from a golden-leaved bush, was the King of Mersyn.  We strolled closer to it, and I stopped to admire the giant creation, nearly twice the size of a real man.
         “Castle Pyra really does enjoy this story, doesn’t it?” I commented, walking around the beautiful bush.  As I made it to the other side, I saw that he was actually guarding a woman, one sculpted from a deep green plant.  The designer of this amazing garden had planted the bushes side by side in order to create this masterpiece, and every leaf was shaved with care, knowing that everyone in Tristania City seemed to know the tale.
                The mysterious lady was slender and delicate, but I could tell from her stance that she had partaken in whatever battle they seemed to be immersed in.  She was facing opposite him, her hands held firmly in his, her hair falling in delicate curls down her back.  I wondered how they had made the jade leaves touch so perfectly with the golden ones, creating delicate fingers that entwined with one another.  I stared, continuing to circle, puzzling over every detail.  At last, as I realized Randley and Katrine had stopped to wait for me, I moved onward, still admiring in my mind how the artist had captured so perfectly the essence of love in the arboresque work.
         The four of us continued to stroll, Evanlawn and I discussing the castle, about Valand’s Court, the Duke’s angry manner, and how balls were conducted.  I was especially grateful for the latter, and I felt much more comfortable as I returned to my chambers, finally allowing my servant to assist me in changing into the gorgeous lace dress I was to wear that evening.
         When I opened my door, dress nearly hanging up in the doorway, I was met by Evanlawn, dressed handsomely.  We matched perfectly, his silver accents with my jewelry, my gray gown with his gray suit.  We laughed as we made our way to accompany Randley and Katrine down to the dance.
         Once again finding the ballroom that Randley had shown me, I was shocked at how beautiful my cousin looked in lavender.  The black laces made her slender figure look much more attractive, and Randley, standing at the other end of the hall, looked entranced beyond repair.  Evanlawn and I approached him, dressed in black and looking strangely at ease, and he looked utterly relieved as he swiftly walked over to Katrine.
         That was all I saw of them, for the crowd of people entering the enormous and dazzlingly decorated ballroom obscured them from view.  I was forced to enter on the arm of the Earl of Bellon, though it did not bother me at all.
         It did not take long after we had made our way into the throng before a barrage of horns split the chatter.  I saw a fresh set of elaborate doors open, and that was the moment when he entered my life.
So here I am at last, back to where I began.  I stood there, surrounded by the Courtiers and the other nobles in the ballroom, standing next to Evanlawn, wearing my lavish gown, bowing with the rest of them as King Valand and his brother took their seats.  He was a vision dressed in midnight blue, trimmed in gold and accentuating his figure perfectly.  He was clearly the focal point, or at least he seemed to be, for I could not take my eyes off of him, barely noticing the group of assistants that surrounded him.
              The King clapped his hands, and in moments the music began to play.  Soon, the people were immersed in dancing, the room dipping and swaying and twirling to the songs, feet treading in unison, and I managed to keep Valand in my sights the entire evening.
              His brother, whom I had all but ignored upon their entrance, was identical in looks to the King, but not in air, differing drastically in comparison.  He was more subtle in white, which would have looked handsome if he had seemed the least bit approachable.  I was sure that Valand would be irresistible in it.  The Duke appeared shy, and I was told by Katrine, who I only glimpsed for a brief moment before she was once again swept up by an awestruck Randley, that he hardly spoke at all to his partners.  I dreaded being caught by him on the floor, so I distanced myself from him while placing myself closer to the King, always insisting to my partners that we take our dance closer in his direction.  My discreetness made me smile, for I knew that loving the King would not get me anywhere except nowhere.  Therefore, my secret crush would forever be kept hidden, with the exception of Katrine.
              All of my partners danced quite well, their steps easy and obviously well practiced.  One particularly chatty gentleman told me that balls were quite a regular occurrence, and to have five-and twenty would be a slow year!  I marveled at such a number.  That was more balls a year than years I had lived, I thought, and that made me self conscious in my dancing.  I took small, careful steps, wary of making a wrong move and becoming the talk of the castle.
              I took a deep breath, waiting for the next man to sweep me away.  I saw Evanlawn take the hand of a beautiful young blonde, a fitting change after having danced with me.  A quick tempo waltz began, and I turned to find the unlucky man I would dance with.  I stared in disbelief, straight into his perfect eyes.  Even as King Valand bowed, raven hair gleaming in the dim light of the ballroom, and asked for my hand, I couldn’t comprehend it.  For a moment, my eyes widened, and my mouth would not work properly.  His stunning features were even more paralyzing in such close proximity.
              His pure green eyes blazed, a smile playing at the corner of his lips.  I must have looked the utter fool stuttering out an acceptance and curtsying long after the appropriate point.  However, he held out his hand, bending low yet again, his eyes never faltering from mine.  I slowly pressed my palm in his, color flooding my face, and it began.  At first I was more nervous than I had ever been before, and I realized with horror that I was watching my feet instead of his glorious features.  I quickly snapped my gaze up to his, and the fear must have been read from my face, for he threw back his head and laughed heartily.  He swept me faster, and I soon found myself laughing with him.
                My feet were no longer safe as I delved into the music, letting go of past mistakes and finding a new kind of movement I had never known.  Every step was free, yet deliberate.  Each twirl left a fresh memory I would recall when my head was clean of his intoxication.  I stared at him, never uttering a word, and he was a mirror of me, silence enveloping us.  There were no smiles, though we were both entirely joyous, for the rest of our faces were incredibly happy.  And his eyes, so deep, were alight with mirth as we breathlessly bowed in closure.
              “Thank you, your Majesty.  That was…that was quite an experience.”  I could feel my face glistening with exertion, and a wild grin finally spread across my features.  My heart jumped, however, when I remembered how unorthodox our dance had been.  He had never been introduced to me.  What an embarrassment!  He seemed to see the change in my attitude and his resounding smile deepened.
              “Believe me, my mystery beauty, the pleasure was undoubtedly mine.”  We bowed once more, and he was lost in the jumble of the crowd before I could tell him my name.
              But all mishap was immediately forgotten, replaced with the perfection that glowed  in my memories.  My heart, which I feared would never cease racing, was so far in the clouds that I could not tell you about a single other partner I met that night.  Every dance was bland, incomparable to the minutes of ecstasy in the strong arms of my King.
              In the arms of *the* King, I corrected myself.
              As the crowd thinned and the room grew hot, King Valand took his seat on the ball throne.  As he did so, everyone in the room bowed.  I quickly realized this, and dipped my head low, remembering a moment too late that the gesture marked the end of the ball.  However, I was thankful that I held that piece of information at all.  I silently thanked Evanlawn for explaining the workings of a ball to me.
              But as I looked to my left and right, I was loath to find myself directly on the edge of the aisle as the room parted for him, and my face burned towards the floor.  I hoped my dress was unrecognizable in the haze of women he had no doubt entertained during the evening.  The mere thought sent a jolt of anger through me, but I simply continued to bow, clearing my mind of such foolishness.
              I heard him rise from his seat, his deep blue dress cloak billowing, and a jumble of steps began their exit.  As his gold laced shoes came into my view, they paused.  He was standing directly in front of me.  I painfully discovered that I had stopped breathing quite sooner than I ought to have, my lungs burning in protest. Why had I not waited from him to rise!  I longed to gasp in the much needed air, but my body refused to act, every piece of me yearning forward to the man I had not even been properly introduced to, and who happened to be the King of Tristania.  I knew that if I exhaled he would notice, and the outrage it would no doubt cause forced my body to function without the oxygen it desired.
              The torturous moment passed, and he resumed his leave of the ball.  As they reached the door, I chanced a glance towards them, and saw that his brother walked beside him, accompanied by their many servants and aides.  They rounded the corner and left my view as my rigorous inhalations began.  The rest of the people around me had risen a long moment before I finally stood straight.  My lungs labored happily as I sucked in the air I had longed for, one heartbeat blending into the next, fast as a hummingbird’s wings.
              The dancers began to trickle out, and as I saw Randley and Katrine leave, I joined them, commenting on how enjoyable the evening had been.  They hardly seemed to notice me, enraptured by each other’s gazes, so I let the conversation die out, following them yet again through the way to our chambers.  I wished that Evanlawn would come in order to save me from such a helpless show of affection, though I knew I would not always have someone to accompany me with my duty.
              My room was the first in the mess of hallways, but I was required to walk to Randley’s quarters so that he and my cousin could say their goodnights.  Randley bowed to me, kissing Katrine’s hand tenderly, and hastily retreated to his bedroom. 
              The moment the door closed, I was shocked to be strangled by arms, a persistent squeal attacking my ears.  I laughed, pushing my cousin off of me, while she rambled on about the evening.  I managed to lead her to my room as she spoke, therefore lessening the chance of getting lost.  She stood outside of my door for at least ten minutes, recounting exactly how many songs they had spent together and how often he had whispered adoring phrases into her ear.  I heard in great detail where his hands were placed on her waist, how fresh he smelled, and how many times she had corrected his tailcoat.  I smiled, though completely ready to sleep, at how much I actually enjoyed listening to her.
              At last, she exclaimed that she must go find Evanlawn, kissed me on the cheek, and hurried off, eyes still aglow with love.  I turned to my room, glad to enter into the quiet sanctum.
              After a long battle with my ball gown, I was liberated, free to step gratefully into my night dress.  I reveled in the cool silk, glad to have something comfortable on.  I slipped under my sheets, snuggling into a ball, and thought about the King.  My dreams consisted of a beautiful ball and a beautiful man with raven hair and emerald eyes, sweeping me away, and taking my heart with him.




~~This is only the beginning!!! I would truly appreciate ANY kind of critiques or ideas.  I'll try and post the chapters as I finish them, which, trust me, won't take long!  Thank you SOO much for reading, I know it was long!  Hope you continue the tale!  Much love, Brittney~~
© Copyright 2008 ~Avalia of Len~ (tennisgirl28 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1447786-Chapters-12-of-I-Am-the-Sea