*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1448090-In-the-Beginning
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1448090
God has some regrets for daily flash fiction
She walked in to find him standing sadly near the window. It was always like this during Anniversary Week. The last few years had been worse than normal.

He had heard her enter and tried to stand a little taller, straightening his shoulders. She did not need to see him like this. Alas…he knew it was too late to hide his feelings.

“Honey, come on over here. Sit down and put your feet up. I will make you some chamomile tea,” she said coaxingly.

“Why couldn’t I have stopped while I was ahead?” he mumbled to himself.

‘Here we go again,’ she thought with some resignation. There was no consoling him by the time he got to day six.

“I was on a roll! Why couldn’t I have left well enough alone?” he moaned. The missus, having heard these same lines for centuries lip-synced along behind his back.

“There were the heavens and the earth. The plants and animals were a stroke of genius. Jesus Christ! I even made firmament! Do you know how hard it is to invent firmament?”

A young beaded man with long hair stuck his head in the door, “Dad, did you call for me?”

“It’s nothing dear,” Mom responded, “Dad is having one of his days.”

“Right,” the son said, wisely ducking back out of the room.

The large bearded persona said, “Sometimes, you know…I feel like I should just bebop on down there and do some smiting. That would put the fear of God in them just fine.”

“Dear, remember, you said you would give them until 2012 A.D. If they haven’t changed their ways by then, we can both go down and knock some heads.”

A smile crossed his face at the thought. She knew just how to get to him.

Word count 298

© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1448090-In-the-Beginning