*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1451392-Best-Friends
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · LGBTQ+ · #1451392
A few more of my characters in a touching scene
Best Friends: An Excerpt from Life according to Drew

Cayne walked with Andy out of the school building. Jeff tagged behind them slightly; he still wanted to hang out with Andy but was finding that to be harder to do.
“So, did you see Mathew today?” Cayne asked.
“No, just a nasty scribble on the bathroom stall,” Andy said, then he looked to Jeff. “So . . . how’ve you been?”
“Oh, just fine,” Jeff said slightly bitter, “You’ve only been ignoring me for the past few days, as if discovering your sexuality is go great.”
Andy laughed and said, “You don’t have the whole story.”
“Oh, do tell,” Jeff said, glaring at him.
“I knew I was gay for a while,” Andy said, “I went to summer camp with Mathew Richardson all through middle school. We used to mess around in the woods after hours.”
“Wait, what?” Jeff said, giving Andy a look.
“Me and Mathew Richardson used to jack each other off in the woods after hours,” Andy said slowly and loudly as a few freshman girls walked passed.
“So then this whole bit about finding your self? What was that?” Jeff asked.
“I was kinda coming to terms with it all,” Andy said, “Mathew and me kinda fell apart in ninth grade so I just suppressed it, then I kinda had a crush on you for a while but I dunno now that I met Cayne,” Andy finished.
Jeff looked at Andy and then at Cayne and said, “Would you mind, Cayne?”
“Um, no of course,” Cayne said walking over to the school steps and giving them some space.
“So now why were you ignoring me?” Jeff asked rudely.
“I wasn’t, you just never seemed to be where I was,” Andy said.
“You were hanging out with my stupid brother and shit,” Jeff spat.
Andy cocked his head at Jeff, “Why are you so hostile towards Drew? You’re not that different and all.”
“We’re polar opposites,” Jeff said, determined to be difficult.
“Not really,” Andy said, smiling at him, “Why don’t you like him? Come on there has to be some reason,” Andy said pushing him playfully.
“I don’t know, we just clash,” Jeff said, looking at Andy.
“I think its because you’re the same on the inside,” Andy said brushing the hair off Jeff’s forehead.
“What’s that supposed to mean?” Jeff asked defensively.
“You felt something when I kissed you,” Andy said smiling. “That’s why you punched me, isn’t it?”
“What are you talking about?” Jeff asked harshly.
“Oh come on, stop playing with your self,” Andy said taking a step closer to Jeff, “You know you liked it.”
Jeff avoided his eyes.
“Its ok, seriously,” Andy said, resting his hand on Jeff’s shoulder.
Jeff glared at the ground, “What would I feel?”
“Dunno,” Andy said taking a step closer, “tingling perhaps?”
“I don’t know it was too sudden,” Jeff said quickly taking a step away from Andy.
“Oh, of course,” Andy said smirking.
He shoved Jeff lightly. Jeff smiled and pushed him back. The two play fought back and forth for a while, laughing and re-forging their bond. Andy and Jeff laughed as they pushed and hit each other, releasing tension. Suddenly Jeff leaned forward and kissed Andy on the lips. He broke away quickly, ashamed for his actions.
The two looked away from each other for a while, until Andy spoke.
“Jeff, you kissed me.”
Jeff got very quiet and withdrew from Andy’s hand. “Just don’t,” he said.
“Hey, its ok,” Andy said gently as Jeff completely lost it.
“No its really not okay,” Jeff screamed, tears streaming down his cheeks, “I don’t want to be this way.”
“There’s some things you can’t control,” Andy said patting his shoulder.
“Don’t fucking touch me,” Jeff cried.
“Come on, don’t be that way,” Andy said, “I’m your best friend.”
Jeff slowly sat down on the concrete, “I’m a fag,” he muttered.
“That’s such an ugly word,” Andy said squatting down next to him, “You’re just gay.”
“Just gay?” Jeff asked, “I’ve been defeated.”
“You’ve gotta be your self,” Andy said. “So what if you like guys? That’s just who you are.”
“I don’t like who I am,” Jeff said bitterly, tears giving way.
“There’s nothing wrong with you,” Andy said, patting his head, “You’re a great actor and one of my favorite people.”
“What don’t you get about the fact that I like guys?” Jeff asked him harshly.
Andy couldn’t help but laugh at him now, “Jeff, I like guys too, it’s not the end of the fucking world.”
“For me it is,” Jeff said.
“I don’t understand, it’s not like your Catholic or super religious,” Andy said, “Tell me what’s so horrible?”
“I don’t know,” Jeff shouted.
“You’re just gonna have to accept yourself or else you’ll never be happy,” Andy said getting up.
“No don’t leave me,” Jeff said grabbing his pants leg, “I’m not sure I should be alone.”
“Well, I hate to break it to you, but we have to leave the school sometime,” Andy said.
“No, we really don’t,” Jeff said.
Andy looked at him and found it disturbing that he was taking this so hard,
“Come on Jeff, why don’t you come out with Cayne and I?”
“You two wouldn’t mind having me?” Jeff asked, looking up at Andy and then over at Cayne.
“Of course not,” Andy said helping him up, “You’re my best friend remember?”
Jeff smiled and Andy helped him get up and they walked over to Cayne’s car.

© Copyright 2008 Olivier (olivier_sirus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1451392-Best-Friends