*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1452106-Aramayos
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Emotional · #1452106
single sexed race of aliens, pregnancy, love, future
Tan wondered what it was that was making him so ill as he sat in the doctor's office wearing only a thin piece of cloth.  His stomach roiled.  He had felt ill for the past week or so.  The others in his class had taken ill over the past few weeks from a virus.  He hoped he didn't have it.

The door slid open and Aprian walked in.  He did not look happy.  "When was the end of your last reproductive cycle, Tan?"  Tan's brows furrowed.  "Reproductive?  I don't remember.  I have been irregular since it first started ten years ago.  Is there a problem?"  Aprian took a seat beside him.  "Your tests show that you are pregnant.  It could be a fluke; that has happened before in young ones.  Are you...active sexually?"

Tan looked down.  He remembered the night before with Lorn.  It was not the only time.  Could he be pregnant?  It was possible.  Aprian took his patient's silence as a sign of confirmation.  "Lay back." 

Aprian ran his hands over Tan's abdomen, feeling for some of the tale-tell signs of pregnancy in an Aramanian.  His abdomen was already firm with sensitivity on either side.  He looked at Tan's left wrist where the turquoise veins were more pronounced.  The ducts were forming to feed a child. 

"It looks as if you are about one month along, maybe more.  You should speak to your parents and your...mate.  He will need to know as soon as possible.  You are really very young for parenthood, but you are not the first. If it makes you more comfortable I can be there when you tell them."

"No thank you, Aprian.  I will tell them on my own.  Is there anything I should do?"

"Nature will take its course as it has for millions of years.  There are no lessons in parenting, other than listening to your own parents.  They will have advice to give, no doubt.  Where are your parents?"

"Eiran is visiting Earth and Mavery is teaching at the Academy.  He stayed while I came home for leave.  Perhaps he shouldn't have trusted me.  Lorn and I have gotten ourselves into trouble, it seems."

Aprian smiled reassuringly.  "I was very close to your age when I had my first child.  He was the reason that I went into medicine.  Remind your parents of that if they give you a hard time.  You aren't a child, after all.  Now go, and good luck."

Tan left the office and walked to the closest transport.  Worry nagged at him.  Things were about to change.  He read a warning sign on the transport unit: Do Not Use Transport Unit if Pregnant.  He sighed and stepped off. 

The sky was darkening overhead and a clap of thunder startled Tan.  He hurried to the nearest shuttle, reserved for the pregnant and those who didn't trust the new transporter systems. Many old men glared at him.  He ignored them and hoped the ride would be brief.  It wasn't.  If it weren't for the thunderstorm overhead he would have flown home.  Could he still fly?  Did pregnancy change his abilities?  He added the question to a growing list in his head.

The apartment was dark when Tan arrived, soaked from the rain.  He was glad for the solitude for the moment, but soon he grew weary of being alone.  He was afraid to face his parents.  At seventy-four he had only just graduated from the fleet, though he had no clear major.  He was aimless with no real passion for anything but Lorn.  Lorn, on the other hand, had two passions; his lover and Human studies.  Tan didn't understand what was so fascinating about the humans.  Historically they were a violent, stupid race with only one goal in mind; find and conquer. 

Tan went to bed early and dreamed fitfully about children.  He was terrified of the months to come and the impending labor.  He wasn't much for pain.  Lorn made it in late.  They weren't technically supposed to be sharing the apartment, but it made more sense for them.  Their parents weren't aware of the relationship yet.

"I went to the doctor yesterday."  Tan told Lorn the next morning during a light breakfast.  They were laying outdoors in the morning sunlight.  The sky was clear and the air smelled fresh.  Lorn propped himself up on one arm.  "Is it the virus?  Three more of Mavery's class were out sick today.  He has cancelled classes for the rest of the day."

"You spoke to Mavery this morning?  Why?"  Tan's pulse quickened.  Had Aprian already spoken to Mavery?  Lorn looked at Tan quizically.  "I told you the Dean of the Academy has offered me a teaching position.  I want to take it, if you are all right with it."

"Oh, yeah, sure.  I'm sorry.  I've had a lot on my mind lately."

Concerned, Lorn took his lover's hands.  "What is it, Tan?  Tell me.  You're worrying me."  He looked into Tan's watering eyes.  "Lorn, I'm pregnant.  I went to see Aprian yesterday.  He tells me I'm about a month along.  I don't know what to do.  I'm seventy-four.  My parents were ninety before they had me.  I don't know if I can do this."  His voice was getting shrill.  Lorn pulled his lover close and hugged him.  "Calm yourself, Tan.  We may be young, but we are adults.  We can handle this.  I will accept the position with the Academy and you can live with me on the ship."  He wiped the tears from Tan's face and kissed him.  "My only worry is telling your parents and mine.  I think that you were meant ot be a carrier, Tan.  You are so wonderful with children.  I am glad that you carry my child.  Our child."
Tan smiled at his wonderful lover and dried his tears.  "I'm a little emotional lately.  Thank you, Lorn.  You always make me feel better."

Lorn insisted on riding in the shuttle with Tan when they went to the Academy for lunch with Mavery instead of going ahead in a transporter.  "Mavery will understand, Tan.  Calm down.  We're having a baby!  That's news to celebrate."  Tan was glad that Lorn could be so confident.  But Mavery wasn't his carrier. 

They met Mavery in his quarters and gathered around the dining table.  The spread of colorful fruits and vegetables made Tan's mouth water.  He didn't wait for an invitation to eat.  "So Lorn, have you decided on the Dean's offer?  He really wants you here."  Lorn took a seat beside Tan.  "I've decided to take it.  I want to continue in my study of humans, but my students will be eager to learn what I have."

"And Tan?  Have you decided anything?"  Tan pushed fruit around on his plate.  Suddenly he wasn't hungry anymore.  He swallowed.  "I think the decision has been made for me, Madan."  Mavery watched his son carefully.  He hadn't been called Madan since Tan was just a child.  It was the human equivilent of Mother.  "And what decision is that?"  Tan's eyes were tearing again.  Lorn took his hand.  He smiled weakly.  "I am going to be a carrier, like you.  I'm pregnant, Madan."

Mavery took a deep breath.  This was not something he expected.  He looked at Lorn.  "And you are the father?  How long have you been with my son?"  He crossed his arms over his chest.  "Almost a year, Sir.  I wasn't sure how you would react to our relationship.  We are young, but we are adults.  I am taking the job and Tan and our child will live with me."

"I wouldn't expect anything less.  When did you find out, Tan?"

"Yesterday morning.  Aprian says I am a month along.  He's happy for me.  Are you?"

"I am, but I'm also sad.  Parenthood is a blessing and I believe that it may be your calling.  I'm not saying that it will be easy, but it's worth the joy of seeing your child raised into a responsible adult.  I only hope your father feels the same way.  It may be best if I break the news to him."

Tan thanked Mavery with a hug.  Lorn watched the gesture with relief.  He had hoped that Mavery would react with kindness.  He only hoped that his parents would react the same way.  His father was the Dean.







     

© Copyright 2008 aunts1384 (aunts1384 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1452106-Aramayos