*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1452189-Concrete-Cityscape
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Dani
Rated: E · Other · Cultural · #1452189
A creative writing assignment
I was walking home in the city when it started to rain. I watched people scatter to find cover, as if the water would cause them to melt if they stayed in it too long. I just kept walking. There is something beautiful about the rain. It is cleansing. I needed cleansing.
The city lights bounced off the wet sidewalk. Concrete is usually so dull. Add some rain, and you have a light show. No one else was enjoying this. They were all hiding from the drops falling from the sky. Personally, I think you can learn more of the city from this concrete world than the city itself. There is nothing to get in the way. No people to mess up your line of view. It is pure and simple. The city lights take on a voice of their own.
It hasn't always been this way. When I was a little girl, all I did was look up. I could never grasp the beauty of the concrete cityscape below my feet. I would look up and I was dazzled by the skyscrapers reaching to the heavens. I couldn't understand why my mother always looked down. I couldn't understand just how much better it was looking down. The simplicity of it was beyond my comprehension. But gradually that all changed. I can't pinpoint the moment. But one day, I saw the city from the mirror of a just-been-rained-on sidewalk. It was in one of those moments that I finally understood.
The rain stopped. People emerged from their hiding places. They walked on my beautiful painting. And when they did so, they always looked up...
© Copyright 2008 Dani (l2live2flip at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1452189-Concrete-Cityscape