*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1453654-Yohanna-and-Alex-chapter-4-PART-1
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Romance/Love · #1453654
shopping with Lucy and meeting a new enemy.
CHAPTER 3:

                        Shopping trip








“Hello”
“Hey Lucy what are you doing?” I asked calmly
“Oh hey Yohanna, nothing I was about to go to your house.”
“So what’s stopping you?” I asked a little too harsh.
“Nothing, look through your window.”
“What?” I asked while walking to the window of the living room.
She was out there starting to hang up her phone. She got out of her car and ran up the stairs, out of no where I found my self running outside too. I missed her now more than ever, she didn’t know what had happened so I couldn’t blame her, it was my fault after all for not coming last summer. Lucy was closer now we ran into each other and she carried me as I hugged her, she was taller so I couldn’t carry her.
“Hey silly, what did you do today?” she asked me.
“Nothing,” Bruce answered from behind.
“What are you doing here Bruce?” she asked him.
“Nothing,” he said again.
“Are you trying to take my friend or what?” she asked and I didn’t like it, he now knew more about me than she did, so that was not a question Bruce or I wanted to answer.
“He stayed over.”
I heard that voice and hated it more than ever; he had no right to say that. It wasn’t any of his business. I looked at Alex with an open mouth and then he realized what he said.
“What?” she asked
“Well you didn’t wait for me at the beach and you know its tradition to have a friend over before school,” I lied it was tradition for her to stay over, not any friend.
“Well yeah that’s true sorry I didn’t mean to leave you, but it was cold and you were still with Bruce.”
“No harm done,” I lied to her again.
“So what are we doing?” she asked looking around.
“Me and you are going shopping,” I said.
“What they left you the credit card again after what happened the last summer you were here, I thought you left them broke,” she laughed as she said that.
“Yeah, but who cares they deserved it,” I said loudly so Bruce could hear me.
Alex was there too so we went inside. Lucy and I went to my room, I thought back to two summers ago when I nearly left my mom and dad broke Lucy and I had spent most of the money in a shopping trip. I was mad at my parents it had been my birthday and they didn’t call in the whole day and when I called them all they said was Oh honey today is your birthday I forgot sorry, I got to go bye. They hadn’t even bothered to say happy birthday or anything so I just took the credit card and bought everything I could for both Lucy and I. This year they put a limit in my card, only $500 a week that was all I could have.
“True,” she said, as I closed my door.
Alex gave her a I cant believe it look, as if he couldn’t see Lucy acting crazy with me, as if  Lucy never acted crazy.
“So where are we going this year,”
“Sorry I only have $500 so we will have to go near town,” I murmured as I changed into some jeans, I left the tank top. Lucy was now sitting on my bed.
“Sorry,” she murmured.
“For what?” I asked.
“Bruce told you about last year didn’t he?” she said looking at me “I heard you crying last night, so I thought he told you,” she finished.
“Well yeah he told me, but it wasn’t your fault that I didn’t come back last year. It was my own.”
“Yeah but I shouldn’t have spoken to him, it was just that I didn’t know what to do, you didn’t come back and I felt lonely,” she explained.
“Don’t want to talk about it, its all in the past.”
“Ok, ready to get the wildest summer of your life,” she asked me laughing now.
“Are you kidding any summer with you, is wilder than the last,” I yelled enthusiastically.
We were heading out the door when I saw the jacket from last night I grabbed it and headed for the living room. I saw both of the guys laughing at something from the window. They looked out as if something interesting was happening.
“What are you all doing?” I asked.
“Nothing,” Bruce replied getting away from the window.
“Yeah sure,” I said getting to the window before he stopped me.
Alex was still there but he scooted when he saw me coming.
“I don’t even want to be close to her when she sees this,” he said with and I didn’t do it face.
I looked out the window, searching for anything that might be funny but I just saw two kids staring at something almost crying, so I looked in the direction they were looking. I saw glass everywhere near my car; I looked at my back window and started cursing underneath my breath.
“Shit, those little kids, Aunt Clara told them not to play near the garage,” I said walking to the door.
I got stuck my shirt hooked on something I tried to unhook it from what ever it had hooked on but couldn’t, I turned around and saw Alex holding my shirt.
“Oh no you don’t,” he said “they were just playing,” he finished.
“They broke my window,” I complained.
“Yeah but it was an accident,” Bruce said.
“Yeah an accident they are not going to pay for,” I replied
“Good point,” Bruce answered
“Girl that is going to cost you some money, last year mine broke with a heavy storm and I had to pay 200 to get it fixed,” Lucy said
“I’ll pay for it,” Alex offered “well not literally pay for it, but I have a friend who does this for a living, he owes me and he will fix it for you,” he said smiling, I didn’t like the smile.
“What’s the catch,” I asked Bruce and Lucy stared at me with a disapproving look “what he must want something,” I suggested.
“Actually I didn’t, but now that you mention it, I want you to have every meal of the day ready for me when I am home,” he said with a crooked smile.
“What?” I asked
“Playing, but since he won’t charge it will take some time,” he informed me.
“This is all I needed to make my third day as bad as the other two.” I sighed
Lucy eyed me and turned around as soon as she realized I’d seen her looking at me. I hated stares; I knew why but no one else did they only knew not to stare. Well now Bruce understood more.
“Well lets go,” Lucy said “lets shop till we drop, hope you don’t mind me shopping with you I need some new jeans,” she said.
“This is going to be fun,” I said “too bad I can’t go over the limit this time,” I shrugged.
I started walking but didn’t go far something was still holding me back.
“Uh, uh,” I coughed. And Alex let me go.
“Can we come,” Bruce asked.
“Unless you want to go see your two naked friends in a dressing room I assure you that you don’t want to be there,”  and my Lucy was back, we always teased Bruce when he wanted to come shopping with us, it was fun to see his expression change. He never liked either one of us as more than just a friend, well not in the past five year at least. Somehow her statement made Bruce frown and then I remembered I’d told him, and looking at me naked would be weird after the story I’d told him.
“What’s wrong Bruce,” she asked “I was playing I know that you’d rather see anyone’s grandma’s naked before you saw us.”
“He’ll be okay,” I said giving Bruce a warning look; I could feel Alex staring at my signals “right Bruce?”
“Yeah,” he said quietly.
“Well then let’s go Yohanna,”
“Can you not call me that it’s weird, call me silly, you always do,” I told her
“Sure silly,” she said “let’s get moving.”
      I started walking to the door but remembered I had Alex’s jacket and handed it back to him.
“Thanks,” I said “but I didn’t need it.”
“Your welcome,” he rolled his eyes and turned to his room.
 
          Lucy and I went to the supply store first and got everything I needed she told me about the new teachers, new student and many new things going on in school. We were both juniors and had been on the year book comity since our freshmen year, so we had a spot saved for this year too. Even though I wasn’t in school the whole year the teachers were glad to have me as their student, I was smart and never got in trouble for talking back to them.
“Hey you know how we always have the year book spots saved for the next year?” Lucy asked.
“Yeah this year’s pictures should be great,” I replied.
“Well they will, but you won’t take them,” she assured me.
“What? Why?” I asked startled.
“Well there’s a new girl and she is a pain in the rear,” she said looking at the journals I was grabbing “nice she pick,” she complimented the pink journals “anyways, well she begged for your spot, pointing out that it wouldn’t hurt you since you weren’t around last year and that it wasn’t fair that you got a spot for a lifetime thing when you only went to that school for three months every summer.”
  “Is she smart?” I asked.
    “What? She takes your year book position and you ask if she is smart, it’s something we do together,” Lucy complained.
“Well if she’s not as smart as me then it won’t be any trouble talking the teachers into protesting in my side,” I explained to her.
“Sorry she is smart she came from a private school somewhere down in New York.”
“Wow well then I guess I need to find something new,” I said shrugging.
“Yeah me too.”
“What you said she took my spot not yours.”
“Well I wouldn’t do anything without you,” she protested.
I though for a moment while I grabbed some pencils from the counter, Lucy is my friend I shouldn’t be mad at her after all its not so bad.
“So what are we doing this year?” I asked with a sigh.
“Nothing I guess but we can try the debate team,” Lucy suggested.
“No!” I said to loudly “I don’t like the debate team too many arguments.”
“Okay, then we should try something we both like.”
  Lucy stared at me and looked away. I finished getting the last things I needed I didn’t need much since I was only going to school for three months and the other three would just be parties. We were headed out to Lucy’s car now, Alex and Bruce had called to tell me that they were taking my car to Alex’s friend today, the day was cold enough to send chills down my spine and Lucy and I were rushing to just get to the clothes part of this shopping spree.
  We arrived in the right moment; I saw two unfamiliar faces in the store. It was awkward I knew everyone in town event the people I didn’t like, but these two were unfamiliar so I thought back to what Lucy had told me. These were the new girls.
“So it’s that them?” I asked Lucy, glaring at the two girls with and evil look that was not like me.
“Yep, the one in the pink took your position in the year book comity.”
“I am sure she did.”
  I walked close enough for them to see me. They looked at me, and I was glad they did I wanted to show them how they could always take my year book spot but not this place. Why was I thinking like that? I knew I was wrong I mean they weren’t doing anything to me, at least not now.
“Oh hey you must be Joanna?” The darker girl asked, they looked alike except one was lighter. They were wearing similar outfits, great they’re twins I thought.
“Actually I’m Yo-HA-nna,” I corrected her “so if you can’t pronounce it, don’t even say it.”
  “Sorry, I’m Suzy, and this is my twin Jessica.”
    I couldn’t believe it this was the girl that Bruce had met, I thought he was playing. I now glared with my brows wrinkled. What a coincidence.
    “Hey Lucy,” Jessica turned to look at Lucy.
  Lucy didn’t respond she just looked away.
  “Sorry again, this time for taking your year book position I just thought it wasn’t fair that someone who didn’t belong got to take the pictures,” Suzy said to me.
  I looked at her in shock, what was she thinking did she not know that I had been here every summer I could probably remember. I probably knew more people than she did, and by the looks of it nobody could actually like her.
  “I know you been here for a while, but that doesn’t make you a part of us,” she was staring and me with a stalking look.
“Yeah, and you’ve been here how long?” I asked “I don’t know what you have heard but I don’t care, if you want to fight for something you don’t have then go ahead I won’t, I got too much to lose.” I responded with an angry look.
“You’re too pretty to be making that face, you may get wrinkles,” she said.
Did she think I was a bimbo or something? Why was she even acting like that? She didn’t know me.
  “Yeah and you may get your ass kicked, if you don’t shut up,” I said looking at her up and down.
  “Yeah I don’t think I am scared of a pretty face, not so frightening,” Suzy replied with a disgusted look.
    What? Was this because I looked pretty?
  “I would give you my face if I could, you know just so you would feel a little bit better about yourself, maybe you would have the guts to tell me the reason behind your jealousy,” I said sarcastically.
“Whatever,” she sighed “thanks for giving up your spot,” she said turning to Lucy now.
  “My pleasure, didn’t feel like working with any snob this year,” Lucy replied.
  “Yeah seems like you had enough with this one,” Suzy said cocking her head in my direction.
  “Oh hell no, look just because you don’t fit in doesn’t mean you got to mess with me, okay don’t be jealous because you don’t have the looks. And if you don’t fit in its not because of that, it’s probably that your not so sure about yourself you probably make everyone else feel worse,” I stared at her harshly.
  I would have never said anything like that to anyone it’s was so mean to call someone insecure and ugly, I know I wouldn’t like it.
  “Tell Alex I said hi, heard he’s back this summer,” Jessica said.
  This had hurt more than any of the words Suzy had spoken. Why did it hurt? How did she know him? Why would he even talk to either one of them? They could tell I was surprised at this and it made both of them give me a fake smile. I should know these I used them often.
  “He is none of your business,” Lucy said and I turned to her giving her a disapproving stare. She was trying to stop me from saying anything that might hurt me later; I thought about it and realized we were the best of friends.
  Both girls smiled and turned away, this pleased them. Was Lucy jealous?
  “That was uncalled for,” I said to her.
“Yeah well they had no reason to say anything about him; just because she couldn’t get laid by him last year doesn’t mean that they could talk about him like that.”
  She was defending him and not me; I thought that maybe she had said it to prevent me from saying anything I would regret. I was glad to hear that he had paid no attention to them; I had no reason to feel like that though.
    “Let’s get to shopping,” I said walking in a room full of girls staring at us.
  Damn it I thought now the whole town would know. Lucy and I headed for the jeans first I had only wasted $50 dollars for supplies so I had enough to buy outfits for the week, I would just come by next week to buy more clothes.
Lucy and I took turns trying on jeans we were the same size so there was no reason to give the salesperson a hard time when putting the clothes back on the shelves. I bought six pair of jeans they were thirty dollar so I bought two more. I also got 10 different shirts and a few accessories. Lucy bought two pair of jeans and three blouses. We would share the jeans like we always did, I was actually wearing one of hers from two yeas ago, and I was surprised it still fit right.
© Copyright 2008 Martha Salas (lovelivelaugh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1453654-Yohanna-and-Alex-chapter-4-PART-1