*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1453970-Leadership-How-to-identify-a-leader
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Business · #1453970
Leadership is the ability to guide, direct, or influence people...
Leadership is the ability to guide, direct, or influence people; to give guidance or direction; to have the ability to lead skillfully. A true leader teaches others what you know and learns from them as well. Leaders listen.

How do you identify a Leader? Well by their traits.

Traits are distinguished qualities or characteristics of a person. There are hundreds of personality traits. I will focus on a few that are vital for a leader. The more of these traits you display as a leader, the more your team will believe in you.

Inspiration:
A leader is the one who always seems to know what to do and the one people seek out for advice. He/she not only has a vision, but they also know how to communicate it. A good leader must be able to suggest his message convincingly. Leaders’ inspire people to plan and set goals, to accomplish what they have always wanted. A leader is someone who determines which goals are important and develops a plan to meet them. He/she is the one who apparently has solutions for every problem because he/she thought everything through before you even had a chance to begin. They display confidence in all that you do. By showing endurance in mental, physical, and spiritual stamina, they inspire others to reach for new heights. They inspire greatness within you! Empower people to achieve.

Honesty:
A leader displays sincerity, integrity, and truthfulness in all their actions. Deceptive behavior will not inspire trust.

Self-confidence:
True leaders believe in themselves. They feel that they have a high capacity to rise above the norm and make things happen. They take action and take charge when necessary. They usually are highly skilled individuals and have a broad knowledge of what it takes to complete a job, task or project. On the other hand, some successful leaders are not very skilled themselves, but they are able to identify those who are. They have the determination to accomplish a goal, regardless of the seemingly overwhelming obstacles. Leaders display a confident calmness when under stress.

Consistency
A strong leader shows consistency in his stance on issues and should not be easily swayed by others’ opinions. However, this is not to be mistaken for stubbornness, which can be a fatal flaw. Rather, a leader is able to make rational decisions that are devoid of prejudice.

Creative:
Leaders make timely and appropriate changes in their thinking, plans, and methods. They show creativity by thinking of new and better goals, ideas, and solutions to problems. They are innovative! Effective leaders envision what they want and how to get it.

Intelligent:
Read, study, and seek challenging assignments. A leader is aware of what goes on from the front lines to the top level. This wide perspective, combined with a meticulous attention to detail, allows them to recognize when things are not right, where others cannot.

Diversified:
Leaders seek out diversity. They show fair treatment to all people. Prejudice is the enemy of justice. A leader displays empathy by being sensitive to the feelings, values, interests, and well being of others.

Takes risks:
Many people refuse to take risks because they are afraid of failing. But if you are an aspiring leader, you ask yourself “Is the risk worth taking?” Then you determine that the benefits outweigh the potential dangers. A leader takes the most risks and is often those who already have a good safety net in place. After they analyze the risk and decide it is worth taking, they overcome the mental barrier in their minds, that barrier that holds back most.

Persistence:
Leaders don’t give up without a fight. Things do not always come easily, and leaders set an example by trying and trying again until they succeed. Leaders are quick to see when they are fighting a losing battle and to resort to Plan B when that point is reached.

Willingness to sacrifice:
Are you willing to do what it takes to get the job done? Being a good leader can be a demanding proposition because it requires a lot of face time and people management. This can eat into your personal life; you have to decide whether you are willing to make that sacrifice.

Adaptability:
Leaders are able to change with a company, with a changing market.

Excellence is "being outstanding…all you can be.” Leaders build excellence they do not command it. To be an effective leader, your followers must have trust in you and they need to be sold on your vision.

Once you find your leader, you will know. This person will also hold real passion and belief for what it is they do. If they’re doing what they really like, you almost can't help but feel their passion as well! Find your leader and follow them down the road to success!
© Copyright 2008 strubels (strubels at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1453970-Leadership-How-to-identify-a-leader