*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1454931-I-Went-to-a-Party
by vb133
Rated: E · Short Story · Young Adult · #1454931
Memory of Youth
I went to a party, just a Friday night get-together, a summer time house party, lots of guys & an equal number of girls. I say girls because this party was over 35 years ago - and the women were young enough to be called girls. Some of my friends were still in school.That's when we could stay up all night long, play ball on Saturday and then go out again that night. Of course I'd crash on Sunday but my only responsibility was to be at work on time Monday.
Okay, so I went to a party on Friday night and it was crowded. It looked like a good time. I wanted to enter thru the garden or side walkway but they had it blocked off. I could hear music and noise, recognize some faces, smell the BBQ but the yard was blocked - everyone had to use the front door. And there was a line. A line to get in to a house? Well 4 or 5 ahead of me. Anyway when I got to the door it was lots of hellos & "good to see you" and "here, take this". The hostess gave me a half of a dollar bill. Half of a paper bill, cut and uneven. She said all the girls have the other half dollars and your job is to find the one that matches yours. I usually hate party games but this one was different. After the usual guy talk, it was time to meet some women. I spotted her across the yard, laughing with her friends. I usually look for someone having a good time and figure if nothing else at least I'll have fun. Ouch, did she look good.
Okay, I've got half a paper bill and some other guy probably has her other half. What are my chances of being her match, I figure 1 in about 35 or 40. Not good odds. I took a crisp dollar out of my pocket, borrowed Jim's knife and cut the bill in two. My plan: find out her name, create a diversion, switch her dollar to match mine.
Now the theatrics. I got a soda cup & filled it with torn paper, moved into her group of friends, introduced myself, and stated that she & I were destined to meet that night.
There was back & forth joking and then the dollar match. I took her half & asked her to hold my soda. In the exchange I dropped the cup of paper on her, & in the surprise, a scream, & then laughter I palmed her half & switched it. A magician couldn't have done it better. Yes it worked, it turned out to be a good time. And a good summer.
I bet some of you probably are wondering if we were a match without the tricks. You know I had both of the original halves in my back pocket.
My story is over but there's more. More to make a point.
it's 35 years later. We are adults, been married, kids, work, house, divorce, etc, etc.
Let's pretend to go back to the same party 35 years later. Enter thru the same front door. Be greeted by the hostess but this time instead of a half paper dollar, each person gets a half of a jig-saw puzzle with all those nooks & crannies. And you're told "lets see you match this with someone." Not so easy anymore. A lifetime of living has it's effects. We all have lots of "nooks & crannies" I don't know if it's possible to match puzzles at this stage. Point is life gets complicated and relations seem a bit harder. As for me, I'm look for a little magic now & then or a little trick to get things going.
© Copyright 2008 vb133 (barnman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1454931-I-Went-to-a-Party