*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1455158-Any-Last-Thougts
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1455158
What goes through a dying man's head written for Flash Fiction
Todd was ready for death. It had been stalking him for the last three days. There was little doubt it would find him soon. It had to. He had nowhere to hide.

‘They said there would be a light. Where’s the God damn light?’ he thought angrily.

He wondered which was worse, the heat beating down from a sun that grew fiercer by the minute or the thirst that caused his tongue to swell up so he could barely close his mouth. Every inch of his exposed skin was covered with blisters on blisters.

Yesterday, he had stopped noticing the pain, a fact that had not gone unnoticed. ‘Part of the insanity of my death waltz,’ he mused silently. He knew it wouldn’t be long before his mind went out the door completely. Then he would just sit and laugh out loud at nothing.

He tried that on to see how it felt. He was surprised that the act caused him some small degree of embarrassment.

Maybe he just wasn’t insane enough yet. He would try the maniacal laughter again tomorrow, if such a thing really existed for him.

On the fourth day, he had his first visitor. Mom stopped by to remind him to do his homework and clean his room before he went out to play. He promised. Others came by, sometimes alone, other times in groups.

His math teacher had asked him to solve a problem on the board. The fact that he was able to do so quite easily gave him hope. At least part of his mind was still there.

His son’s visit came as a surprise. The boy tried to take Todd’s hand and lead him outside.

“Billy, I thought you died when you were ten.”

“I did. Let’s go out into the light.”

word count 300
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1455158-Any-Last-Thougts