*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1455252-He-Said-it-Wouldnt-Happen-Ch-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1455252
looking back
Missing isn't the same as dead; that is what everyone was saying anyways. They all wanted to remind her that with his status being missing there was still hope that he would be home to see the birth of their little boy; a boy she was sure would look just like him. Ever since the news of the helicopter crash people had come in a never ending parade of food, flowers and bright encouraging smiles; smiles she wanted to smack off their faces! She appreciated the gesture, she truly did, she knew she had been on the giving end of those comforting casseroles many times, but the desire to be alone was too overwhelming. Solitude meant that she did not have to be strong for anyone, she could cry without someone fussing over her, she could be angry it did not matter. This was the first post they had lived on where they had a garage and she was thankful for it! Parking in the garage gave the illusion that she was not home, the shades stayed closed, save the few times she would peak out, and the only light was from the fire she would light in the evenings.

Her heart would stop every time the phone rang, she knew that bad news would come in person but the fact that each ring failed to bring good news was just as heart wrenching. The only reason she continued to answer the phone was that in the two days since the Army had informed the families of all the soldiers that had been in the helicopter she had not been able to reach her father-in-law, he often traveled for work and she was never quiet sure where he would be when and the fact that he was essentially missing in action too was just adding to her stress, stress that the little boy inside of her did not seem to like as he had begun to move around in the moments she would feel particularly vulnerable. Moving to the couch she stretched out on her back and began rubbing her protruding belly, a trick she had learned the baby seemed to like. It was probably Jack's fault he liked it too, though she had only been two and a half months pregnant when he left, every night from the day they found out she was pregnant she fell asleep with his hand gently stroking her stomach. Yep, she smiled closing her eyes, she was going to blame it on him.


~~~~~~~~

Janey was just waiting for a dumbfounded Jack to walk out of the bathroom; she had left the plastic stick sitting right on top of the toilet seat, there was no way he could miss it. She continued folding clothes trying not to look behind her toward the hallway; he had come in from work unzipping the jacket of his ACU's as he leaned down to kiss her hello where she sat with the laundry basket on the couch. He walked down the hall to their bedroom, she knew to change and go to the bathroom but she did not hear him going through that normal routine. A smile spread across her face as she heard him walk back into the room.

"Is--is this what I think it is?" He stuttered.

Trying her hardest to conceal a smile she turned to look at what he could possible be holding, "I don't know, what do you think it is?"

He could see the smile trying to break her features and a thrill ran through him, "are we going to have a baby?"

Unable to fight it she smiled brightly and nodded vigorously, before she could say a word he had pulled her off the couch and spun her around. Placing her on her feet he kissed her sweetly, "I can't tell you how happy you have just made me, I love you so much."

Tears where forming as she whispered, "I love you too."
© Copyright 2008 Brooklyn Mack (flygirl9 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1455252-He-Said-it-Wouldnt-Happen-Ch-2