*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1455558-WarpSpawn
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1455558
Warhammer 40k story. My first part of a story about a human child born in the Warp.
Authors Note:  Hello.  First off, please comment.  This is my first writing ever and I would like people's opinion/criticism.  Now, the characters:

Acrutious:  The husband of Ethina, and father of the child she bares.  He has wanted to join the Imperial Guard on his homeworld, but the pleas of Ethina have stopped him.  However, he understands most Imperial weapons greatly, usually down to how they work.  The recent Necron attacks on his small city have made him even more eager to join.

Ethina:  Acrutious's loving wife.  She has a great fear of losing him, mainly because she want's their child to have a father.  The recent Necron attacks have caused her to beg Acrutious to leave the planet.

Ethinas’ Child:  I intend to base the story on the child, who I already have BIG plans for.  I intend for it to be male.  If you want to have a glimpse of my intentions, mail me with a reallllllly good reason why I should.

Every other character, even ones I name, are currently temporary, and thus are not listed here.



There was a detonation from outside and the lights flickered.  "Damn this, this is the fifth time this month!  Fifth time those damned machines have attacked!"  Acrutious complained.  "I won’t stand for it anymore."  He said as he grabbed his M40 Autogun.
"Please don't go Acrutious.  You’ve seen what they’ve done to the Guard.  Please don’t leave me to raise our child alone,” his wife, Ethina, begged him.
“I don’t care anymore.  The Guard wont hold the Necron this time.  Personally, I’m surprised they haven’t sent the Space Marines yet.  I’m going out there to help the Guard and no one is telling me otherwise!”  Another detonation shook the building and all the power went out. “DAMN IT!  They must have got the generator.”
“Please don….” Ethina started, but he was already gone.  “Emperor protect him,” she muttered.

Outside, the action was worse than it seemed.  Acrutious immediately made a dash across open ground to the nearest Guard Sargent.  Upon halting, he saluted the sergeant.  “Go back, civilian.  This is not the place nor the time,” said the sergeant.
“I will fight, whether you wish it of me or not,” Acrutious said, unwavering despite the screams of the Guard troops being flayed by the Necron weapons.  The sergeant seeing the loss of several more of his troops immediately ordered to fall back to better ground.  His troops didn’t need to be told twice before making a mad dash deeper still into the city.  The sergeant then turned to Acrutious and said “You may be of use after all.  I’m charging you with evacuating the nearby area.  Get all civilians out of this area before we lose it!”  Acrutious gave the sergeant a quick salute before running back to where he had left his wife.  Ethina was relieved to see him alive, but was unhappy to find they would be leaving the area.  “Promise me one thing Acrutious.  If we survive this attack, we leave this planet.”  Acrutious knew he would be leaving so much behind.  His home and childhood. His family had been here for generations, some as far back as the golden age of technology.  But that was history.  He reluctantly agreed and they ran outside to a Necron Warrior barring the way.  Instinctively, Acrutious quickly raised his M40 and fired several shots into the abominations’ skull, shattering it and sending it reeling backwards.  He knew it wouldn’t take long until it would be standing again.  They rushed from building to building, gathering a small trail of people, some armed.  They slowly made their way back to where the Guard had further fallen back to.  Acrutious then reported to the sergeant that had sent him off.  “Good job civilian,” he said over las and gauss fire.  “We can’t hold them off much longer.  You are to lead the civilians to the spaceport and get them to a safe city or off planet, if need be.  Get as many out as you can, we will stand our ground till the last man is dead.”
“Yes sir,” Acrutious saluted, turned and said to the group behind him, “We are to make our way to the spaceport.  Let’s mov-” He was cut short at the sight of several Monoliths, coming from around a corner.  “TAKE COVER!” the sergeant suddenly shouted.
“DESTOYERS!” a soldier cried before the Destroyer squad he had seen swept in from the left flank, sowing death with their gauss cannons.  Acrutious grabbed his wife by the hand and ran head down and hoping the Necron hadn’t noticed them yet.  There were explosions from the Monoliths’ Particle Whips that killed scores of the Guard.  Soon, they could no longer hear the gauss fire, and there was only an eerie silence.  There were no signs of life, yet he was so sure they were heading towards the spaceport.  “Maybe they’ve already left.”  He said, trying to comfort himself and Ethina.  What they saw as they rounded a corner would prove him wrong.  There were several flayed corpses in the middle of the crater filled road.

As they approached the corpses, he noticed something.  They were Guard.  Kasrkins, actually.  He could tell from the discarded las ‘hellgun’ weapons.  “Shit,” he muttered.  He saw a plasma pistol in the hand of one of the corpses, and reached out to grab it.  As he did, he realised just why the bodies were in the middle of the road.  Seven Necron Flayed Ones began emerging quietly from the surrounding buildings.  Acrutious grabbed the plasma pistol out from under the corpse and began to take careful aim.  He fired once, twice at one of them and saw as it quickly dissolved into a molten puddle of metal and flayed skin.  He took aim again and fired once at another, this time, scoring a strike to the head. The effect was similar to when he fired his M40 at the Warriors head.  The Flayed One stood there as its head quickly melted onto its shoulders before falling backwards.  Two down, five to go, he thought.  He aimed again, squeezed the trigger, but to his utter disappointment, found the plasma containment flask empty.  He squeezed again to make sure.  He threw it away and aimed with his M40.  He fired a few shots at the third and found it had little effect.  He again grabbed his wife by the hand and ran between the two he had just shot.  He checked his clip and found five bullets remaining.  “Keep running.  We’re almost there… almost there,” they were exhausted from running, sweat dripping off their foreheads.  “Just one more turn…”  Acrutious looked over his shoulder to see the Flayed Ones trudging from around a corner.  He stopped, kneeled and took aim, and fired again, this time using single shots and aiming for their legs.  One fell and he quickly aimed for another.  Each time he hit home and had slowed them considerably.  They started running again and he reloaded.  They rounded the corner and saw the spaceport and the last of the city’s Guard defending it.  Several of the Guard rushed forward to escort them.  Acrutious told them of the Flayed Ones behind them and a Commissar ordered two Hellhounds to take care of them.  The Commissar then approached Acrutious and his wife and said “We are evacuating this planet; the Necron threat here has become too great.  They almost seem hell-bent to kill everything on here.  Do you know of any other survivors?”
“No” Acrutious panted, “no survivors.”
“Very well.  You are to get off planet and go to the planet of Nocturne.  If my memory serves me correctly, the Salamanders chapter is there.  Give them word of what is happening here.  They may be able to spare a company.”  The commissar grumbled.  “You will be going in that civilian transport, that one over there” the commissar pointed towards a lone craft and paused. “Well, what are you waiting for?”  Acrutious and Ethina immediately began heading towards the lone craft the commissar had pointed to.  Once aboard, they were greeted by the captain.  “This is it?”  He asked.
“There were more, but, well…” Ethina began to say.
“It’s okay.  I’m assuming the good commissar told you to tell me to take you somewhere?  By the way, I’m captain Godwyn.”
“I’m Acrutious, and this is my wife, Ethina.”
“Not the best time to be pregnant.  Do you know how much longer before she gives birth?” Godwyn asked.
“Not very long now.  We are actually expecting the child to come sometime tomorrow.”  Acrutious replied.  “He told us to go to Nocturne.”
“Well, I’m not complaining.  Honestly, I’ve been trying to get off this planet since the third attack not too long ago.  I’ll inform the Navigator of the destination.  I hope you can convince them to send a company.  I’ll have one of the men to show you to your quarters” and with that, Godwyn went through a door and told one of the crew, who was lazing around at the time, to show them their quarters.  The man rolled his eyes and got up with a sigh and indicated for them to follow him.  It wasn’t long before he stopped outside a door and said “You’ll be staying here until we arrive.  If you need anything, just ask” and with that, he left.  The room was relatively small, with just a light and a bunk.  Acrutious sat down on the bed and sighed.  “Well, we’re finally leaving.  I’ll admit I’m not happy, but we have to.”


Authors Note (Again):  Yay!  I hope you liked it.  As I said before, please send me a review.  I would really appreciate to know what people think.
© Copyright 2008 Some Fella (somefella at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1455558-WarpSpawn