*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1457129-LL-Dark
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Justyn
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Other · #1457129
Part of the antagonist's thoughts
He watched the two of them surreptitiously throughout the night. A glass of champagne here, a canapé or two there, smiling and laughing with the rest of the crowd. He wondered what kind of mayor she would be, if indeed she did win the election. All things pointed to her, but one could never tell about these things. Granted, she did lead most of the polls to be the mayor, but again, who knew?

There she was, leaning against that redhead on the balcony. It was indecent, the way those two behaved, as if they were lovers. Disgusting, all that touching they did. You’d think they were plotting something. That redhead was probably filling her head with all kinds of things. It was no secret that the dark one didn’t have a brain in her head, that she was just a mouthpiece for whatever the redhead had to say. He idly wondered why the redhead didn’t run for mayor.

“Probably knows that she would never have the popularity that the other one has. She might be dumb as a rock, but at least she’s popular. And moderately pretty, I guess. That other one just has red hair going everywhere, like an untamed pony or something.“ He shuddered as he thought about her. Everything about the redhead was messy, poorly planned, and haphazard. The thought of the redhead as a campaign manager made him laugh out loud. His wife looked at him with her eyebrows raised as she took another sip of champagne. Thankfully, she suspected nothing, since he was deep in conversation at the time.

His wife liked her well enough, so he supposed that counted for something. At least she was popular in the social set. She knew how to do things the “right” way. As opposed to the other one. He sighed, knowing he should quit comparing them. She was nothing like her fiery haired friend, thank the powers that be. One was quite enough of that one!

He was pretty sure she could be counted on to look the other way for certain activities. It had certainly been done before, and he saw no reason why it shouldn’t continue. If her track record was anything to go by, she had a habit of voting conservative. In his experience, even the most conservative voters had a way of seeing the benefits of other activities. Especially if one kept their campaign fund warm.

He would have to make sure she saw reason though. Either before the election, of after. It mattered not to him. Honestly, he was pretty easy-going, considering the position he was in. Besides, with her empty head, she would probably welcome his ideas. Ha, maybe he could edge out the redhead. Now that was a thought that appealed to him, even though it had just crossed his mind. With enough pre-planning, maybe he could even displace the redhead. Now THERE was a thought that bore looking into. Replace the redhead’s flighty thoughts with his own thoroughly-reviewed plans.

“Hm, “ he thought as he led his wife onto the dance floor. “Just have to see how this one plays out, I guess. But I’m thinking we have an interesting road ahead of us the next few months!”

*************************************

The letter was cut from a magazine. Each letter done painstakingly, individually, as if whoever wrote it put a lot of thought into it.

Well, that at least was true, he thought. He did spend some time on the letter. It was simply genius of him to make it look that way. Certainly spoke of his brilliance, lowering himself to the level of a common abductor, when he was so much more.

"This ought to spin them up for a while," he thought happily. He experienced nothing but glee at the prospect of them running around in circles, trying to find the author of that note. The redhead and the brunette for sure, maybe even that idiot she had for security. That was a farce, for sure. They were so worried about garden-variety criminals that their minds wouldn't even come up with someone like him.

Well, let them run around crazy for a little while. Let the brunette jump at shadows for a while, seeing demons where there were none. Expecting something that wouldn't come. Watch the redhead and the man tighten their little circle in a misguided effort to protect her.

"It should make for an interesting show" he thought as he watched the letter being delivered. "Yes, very interesting indeed."

*****************

Things had gone better than he had hoped. Much better. Not only was the brunette all uptight, but she also hadn't shared the letter with her security team. Ha, she hadn't even told the redhead about the letter! Unbelievable, but true. Now, the two of them had had a fight. Rumor had it they were barely speaking. This just got better and better!

Of course, he would have to verify that last part. It wouldn't do to have faulty information. Usually, when one made assumptions, one got caught with their pants down, so to speak. And he intended to come out on top, sparkling clean. Figuratively and literally.
© Copyright 2008 Justyn (kjsleah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1457129-LL-Dark