*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1459712-Archers-Email
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Drama · #1459712
This is just the beginning. Plot unfinished.
Hey, Al. Sorry, I'm kinda in a rush to make sure I have everything all set before I go. But, just so you know, I will be thinking about you every day and I will definitely miss you. Hope you get along okay with Matt while I'm gone. Love you; Archer.

         I read over the email a dozen times before I tore my eyes away from the computer screen. I just couldn't believe he would be gone for a week. Only a couple of weeks, I reminded myself. It could be worse, right?
         The trouble was, I'd never spent even a day without him since we'd met, and now he was was flying out to Italy, without me, to meet his long-lost sister. It already seemed like Chiara was more important than me.
         Calm down, Al, I told myself. “The boy has never met his sister before.”
         “What was that, Albany?” my step-mother and only legal guardian, Liana, called from the kitchen.
         Fuck, didn't realize I said that aloud.
         “Nothing, Li! Just talking to myself...yet again.” I yelled back from my stealthy perch on the black living room sofa.
         This couch is where so many things happened in my life. I sat here while I played video games with my sister, while I talked to people on my laptop, where I wrote my novel, where I made out with Archer so many times...and where I sat while my dad was being murdered in front of me.
         No matter how many times Liana insisted we get rid of the couch, I argued until she gave in. I couldn't get rid of this thing; it held memories, priceless memories – nothing she could replace with a stupid new couch.
         I looked back at my laptop and clicked onto my email. I logged in and sighed. Time to tell Archer how I feel.

Hey, Arch. So...I decided that since it's been a while since you left, I'd send you an email, but I honestly don't know what to say. I mean, I miss you so goddamn much and I've been miserable with Matthew. I try hiding how horrible it is around him, though. I just don't want him upset at me...you know how that bugs me out. I've played the same five songs the entire time you've been gone—the ones you sent me before you left. It sucks that you couldn't have waited one more day to leave...I've just got so much left to say. I'll wait until you get back to actually say any of it, though, because it wouldn't feel right typing those words into an email. Ya know, you are the one that promised me a long email, and yet, here I am...writing so many words. I guess it won't actually be too long, and mostly, it's utter bullshit gibberish that I don't even get. Basically, this email is to tell you that I love you and miss you...and even thought that last email you sent me was short, it meant a lot to me. Hope you're having fun with Chiara. I'll talk to ya in a few days, I suppose. Love you; Albany.

         “I know you miss him, Al.”
         I jumped at the sound of the voice. “God, Li. Don't scare me like that.”
         Liana laughed her high pitched, beautiful laugh. “I'm sorry, baby. But don't you worry. Archer will be back in no time at all. Maybe you'll even learn to love Chiara.” She suddenly looked apprehensive. “It might do you good to have a sister figure in your life.”
         “Fuck that.”
         She sighed, looked my straight in the eyes, and said, “Albany Helen, that is the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid with you. I mean, honestly, is it so hard to stop swearing?”
         I looked at her with intensity. “Yeah, it is. Ever since Tiffany died, Liana, I don't have a sister. That's never going to--”
         “Al! Allie! Alaneeeyyyy!”
         Cut off again by that stupid baby!
         I stood up from the couch and glared at my step-mother. “If you'll excuse me, I've got to go take care of the child Tiffany decided to leave me.”
         Meandering down the hallway, tears started building up in my eyes. Fight them, Al. Look strong for Hero.
         “Alaney, what wrong?” is the first thing I heard when I entered my niece's bedroom. She must have noticed me crying.
         “Nothing, Hero. Everything is fine. I promise.” I picked the young girl up out of her crib and hugged her tightly.
         She looked up at me. “You fighting with Auntie Li-Li again?” she whispered.
         Those big blue eyes...how could I lie to that? “Yeah, baby. I guess I was.”
         She hugged me this time. “It otay, Alaney. Auntie Li-Li tired. That all.”
         “I love you, Moomoo. Time to go back to bed, alright?”
         She sighed. She was way too mature for a two year old. “Otay, Alaney.”
         I kissed her goodnight and put her into her crib again. After that, I walked back out into the living room to see Liana curled up in a ball on the floor, watching television. I'll just leave her alone.
         “I love you, Albany,” I heard as I walked away.
         “I love you, too, Mom.”
© Copyright 2008 Cadey White (writer404 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1459712-Archers-Email